Joe

Default Sea Chase

Was on TV last night.

It's one of John Waynes best flicks ever, even if he plays a German
Merchant Marine Master.

As the Capt. of his ship he signed his logs with the title of "Master"
not Master Mariner. The term Master Mariner is a made up term that no
one should ever dare use... unless they want to spit in the eye of
Neptune himself..

John Waynes role was a story of one of the most daring and skillfull
Mastering of a ship and crew to outwit the British Navy and bring his
men home. If you have not seen it... you're missing one of the best sea
stories ever filmed IMO.

The only Flik flub I noticed was after loading his freighter with 130
cords of wood the draft hardly changed at all. The rest of the film is
totally right on in every detail, unlike todays films. Take the Perfect
Storm for example I'm sure that had a tech directors with the titles of
Master Mariner that made real sailors look like idiots and retards.

The Sea Chase was on TCM.... perhaps they will re-run it Scotty if you
havent seen it, and since you have never seen The Wake of the Red
Witch, there is a good chance you have not seen Sea Chase.
**** a 4 star Movie

Joe

Joe

The Sea Chase
1955 - Warner Brothers

Main Cast: John Wayne, Lana Turner, David Farrar, Lyle Bettger, James
Arness, Tab Hunter, Paul Fix, Claude Akins. Directed by John Farrow.
John Wayne plays Captain Karl Ehrilch, in this drama which takes place
at the start of World War II. John is a German sea captain. When the
war breaks out, he outruns the British Navy half way around the world
in an attempt to return his ship and crew to their home. Lana Turner
plays a German spy who falls in love with Wayne during the voyage. At
one point, the German freighter lands on Auckland Island for food and
clothing. Unknown to Wayne, Lyle Bettger machine-guns six fishermen,
and Wayne is blamed. The British finally are able to sink Wayne's ship,
just short of Germany. Wayne and Turner, however, are able to escape to
Norway.

otnmbrd

Joe wrote:
Was on TV last night.

It's one of John Waynes best flicks ever, even if he plays a German
Merchant Marine Master.

Much better than the one where he read his Lat/Long directly from the
sextant, though I liked that movie also.

As the Capt. of his ship he signed his logs with the title of "Master"
not Master Mariner. The term Master Mariner is a made up term that no
one should ever dare use... unless they want to spit in the eye of
Neptune himself..

ROFL You going to harp on this forever?
The Master of a ship will sign his name on shipboard documents as either
"Capt. Joe Shmoe, Master" or "Joe Shmoe, Master". The term/title is not
used/needed on those documents.
The use of the term/title "Master Mariner" is basically a shoreside one
used within the industry to designate a specific individual ..... much
like "Doc. Joe Shmoe, Brain Surgeon".
Believe it or not, agree with it or not, but the term is valid, though
highly misused in many circles.

John Waynes role was a story of one of the most daring and skillfull
Mastering of a ship and crew to outwit the British Navy and bring his
men home. If you have not seen it... you're missing one of the best sea
stories ever filmed IMO.

The only Flik flub I noticed was after loading his freighter with 130
cords of wood the draft hardly changed at all. The rest of the film is
totally right on in every detail, unlike todays films. Take the Perfect
Storm for example I'm sure that had a tech directors with the titles of
Master Mariner that made real sailors look like idiots and retards.

What was the TPI and weight/cord?

otn
Jetcap

otnmbrd wrote:
What was the TPI and weight/cord?

Geez, OTN, don't add to the poor besotted wannabe's confusion by
throwing more nautical terminology at him.

Rick
Joe

Geeze Rick, For someone playing tugboat capt instead of being one you
have lots of room to talk right.

TPI = 1/35 (A x1/12) =A/420 where A is the
waterplane area for a particular draft in square feet.

The ship was approx 250 foot est 300-500 tons empty.
A cord of Oak weighs 2 tons.

Thats 260 tons cargo shipped aboard.

Like I said a flik flub but no the less a good story.

Jeff your the wannabe..... know it all..... smart lipped..tugboat
trash.

Joe
USMM Master # 607529

Horvath

On 29 Dec 2004 08:35:14 -0800, "Joe" wrote
this crap:

Was on TV last night.

It's one of John Waynes best flicks ever, even if he plays a German
Merchant Marine Master.

John Waynes role was a story of one of the most daring and skillfull
Mastering of a ship and crew to outwit the British Navy and bring his
men home. If you have not seen it... you're missing one of the best sea
stories ever filmed IMO.

It's not as good as Pirates of the Caribbean.

Joe

Can Jesus walk on water?

Joe

Bob Crantz

Amen!

BC

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
Can Jesus walk on water?

Joe

Jetcap

Joe wrote:
Geeze Rick, For someone playing tugboat capt instead of being one you
have lots of room to talk right.

Bwahahahahah ... After 7 years of owning and operating my own tug I sold
it last month and now run a 35m 6000 hp yacht (jetboat) in Florida.
Tugboat trash no more G

TPI = 1/35 (A x1/12) =A/420 where A is the
waterplane area for a particular draft in square feet.

Ain't Google great?

Jeff your the wannabe..... know it all..... smart lipped..tugboat

I've known and sailed with quite a few Master Mariners, and Joe, you
will never have the horsepower, the skills, or the attitude to hold that
honorarium ... it is one that is earned. Come back when you have a real
license and a cv to back it up. In the meantime try and show some
respect to real master mariners, like Otn, who seem to make you so
jealous.

Rick
USCG Master
USCG Chief Engineer Steam/Motor/Gas Turbine