Overproof

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

My notebook has 64. Now I see why you're so out of touch. The technology
has
come a long way. Even a low end notebook can do photo editing with ease.

Yes Bob..... I'm well aware of the ancient status of my beater Laptop.....
I'm aware of what's available. I also know what's required to complete
photo editing in a timely manner.... and 64 megs compared to 256megs is a
major time factor increase. Never mind the screen size you have to work
with.... let alone the HD space and limitations on peripherals.

I currently use a RAID set-up.... on my "desk-top"... I'm looking at the
newest Asus board and maybe the XT 800X All in Wonder 256 Meg graphics card.

I have a bunch of old 8mm movie reels that I want to record and store. They
are circa 1950 and include quite a few animated movies from the era. I
believe I have some old black and white "Tweety & Sylvester" as well as very
old "Mickey Mouse" reels. The ones before they changed his appearance. I
want to store them to digital for personal use. Can you advise me on how to
best approach this?

CM

Bobsprit

I've used tablets Bob...... can you clarify if your claim is that they are
more accurate, or more ergonomic? I bought mine over 8 years ago.... I had
expectations that were not met.

8 years ago, Mooron. You also bought your camera 5 years ago.
You've answered your own question.

RB
Overproof

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
I've used tablets Bob...... can you clarify if your claim is that they
are
more accurate, or more ergonomic? I bought mine over 8 years ago.... I
had
expectations that were not met.

8 years ago, Mooron. You also bought your camera 5 years ago.
You've answered your own question.

Yeah but everyone I know that has a Tablet unit... still has basically the
same issues with it.

I buy stuff as I need it.... I haven't found a need for another point and
shoot digital... nor for a newer Tablet and pen. My brother bought his
units 2 years ago.... I've used his tablets on occasion... rare occasions. I
don't really see any great improvements of either the tablet or pen except
in style, ergonomics and connectivity related issues. I've not read anything
that states any great improvement on them to date. Maybe you could point me
to the source that would change my viewpoint?

Have you tried the Logitech MX Laser Mouse yet?

CM

Bobsprit

Yeah but everyone I know that has a Tablet unit... still has basically the
same issues with it.

Well, I tend to try things out for myself. If you've tried a recent 500 dollar
tablet on a modern system, fine.
If you havent.....

RB
Bobsprit

Have you tried the Logitech MX Laser Mouse yet?

For what?

RB

Overproof

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
That's a tough one. I'm guessing that your old reels are regular or super
8.
They probably ran at 24 FPS, but some were at 18 FPS as well. For a proper
conversion, you'd have to pay to get them digitized with what is
essentailly a
arial optical printer. Expensive. A pal conversion to 25FPS might ease the
pain. Of course lots of places will do 8mm to video conversions for cheap,
but
quality is often poor. What have you looked into thus far?

The idea came to light when I received a letter from a private entrepreneur
that claimed he could transfer old 8mm movies and other media to digital for
a price. He was asking $400 for the list I sent him which included about 6
reels of old cartoon footage and 6 reels of movies of the family in Africa
and Europe.

I have an old projector and one of those portable screens that unroll. I'm
wondering if it would be possible to record the movie on a digital camera
positioned adjacent to the projector? Run the movie and record it? Not sure
if it would work. Frame by frame copy would be extremely time intensive.

I'd like to get this done before the film stock deteriorates any further.
So far it seems all in good shape. Keep in cool, dry, dark storage. It's
footage shot in 1950 thru 1959. The cartoons are from the same era.

CM

Bobsprit

I'd like to get this done before the film stock deteriorates any further.
So far it seems all in good shape. Keep in cool, dry, dark storage. It's
footage shot in 1950 thru 1959. The cartoons are from the same era.

Honestly, if you want to save it, pay the price. You won't be able to match
what a proper transfer can do due to frame rates and extensive frame by frame
is not that stable, even on an expensive PD150.

RB
Overproof

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Yeah but everyone I know that has a Tablet unit... still has basically
the
same issues with it.

Well, I tend to try things out for myself. If you've tried a recent 500
dollar
tablet on a modern system, fine.
If you havent.....

Odd isn't it... the first one I bought was $1400 Cdn. In answer to your
question... I don't know what my brother paid for them but that price seems
reasonable... and yes I tried them on my P4.

As a side note.... it involved a job in which I had to extract a person
from the original background and insert it on an alternate background. It
was a devilish job since the backgrounds for the paste were of different
colours. I had to get the warm reflected tones of an indoor shot under
incandescent lights out of the parka and face and supplant the cooler
reflected blues of the daylight winter scene. I used the pen for the initial
mask outline and detailed mask adjustment on the Wolverine fur trim of the
parka.... I lucked out and it all came together rather well. Nobody who
viewed the final product printed on photostock had any idea it was not a
photo taken at that location. I used iGrafx Image app. to do the work.

CM

Overproof

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Have you tried the Logitech MX Laser Mouse yet?

For what?

Photo Editing.... and general mousing.

CM

Overproof

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
For what?

Photo Editing.... and general mousing.

I'm pretty pleased with my stock optical mice....

You should give this new technology a serious look... it's not an "optical"
mouse.

Try this

http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20040924/