Bob Crantz

Then you must know Peck's ledge.

wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 16:47:02 GMT, "Bob Crantz"
wrote:

Where are the Scotch Caps then?

Way down in the Western LIS. Not in Connecticut. I rarely go down that
far. I grew up sailing in Norwalk, CT, and I used to visit the Western
end more often then. I haven't been west of Goodwives River in a very
long time. I go there every year because I host a reunion for my old
prep school on Pear Tree Point beach. Some years I sail down, rather
than drive, and borrow a mooring from The Noroton Yacht Club.

BB

wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:55:02 GMT, "Bob Crantz"
wrote:

Where is the Merrit Parkway then?

Runs from the Greenwich border up to where it becomes the Wilbur
Cross. All part of rt 15. Then it goes to being rt 5/15 which is
called the Berlin Turnpike. In the 1950's the Berlin Turnpike was a
mecca for traveling asalesmen. Then it went fallow for a long time.
Finally the property became so cheap that lots of developers came in
and tore down most of the sleazy motels to build retail shopping. It's
now a major shopping destination.

They recently replaced the metal bridge over the Housatonic at exit 55
in Stratford. They also recently renamed West Rock Tunnel, which I
think is a mistake.

Another recent change is that when driving along the Wilbur Cross and
the Merritt, you often see flocks of wild turkeys.

By the way, you spelled Merritt wrong!

BB

wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:45:35 GMT, "Bob Crantz"

wrote:

You lie!

If that's true, then I guess I lie in Connecticut as well!

BB

wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:17:03 GMT, "Bob Crantz"

wrote:

You are not in Connecticut at all.

Oh, but I am! I live in Connecticut, work in Connecticut, and

keep
my
boat in Connecticut. My area code at home and at work is 860,

although
my boat is kept in area code 203, within about 10 miles of the

Thimble
Islands.

BB

wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 02:16:13 GMT, "Bob Crantz"

wrote:

dialup-4.245.230.15.dial1.stamford1.level3.net

You are still way (about 85 or 90 miles) off. I've already

said
many
times I'm
in Connecticut, any way. But, thanks for playing!

BB

Capt. Neal®

You must have moved to Colorado just recently as your
memory of CT seems intact.

CN

wrote in message ...
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:17:39 GMT, "Bob Crantz"
wrote:

Then you must know Peck's ledge.

Yes, of course I know Peck's Ledge. Since you don't know the area
well, I suggest that you enter Norwalk via Greens Ledge. That's the
other light house down off the end of Sheffield Island. It's much less
complicated.

Do you have a point with all of this, Babs? It's getting pretty
tiresome.

BB

.. .
wrote:

Where are the Scotch Caps then?

Way down in the Western LIS. Not in Connecticut. I rarely go down that
far. I grew up sailing in Norwalk, CT, and I used to visit the Western
end more often then. I haven't been west of Goodwives River in a very
long time. I go there every year because I host a reunion for my old
prep school on Pear Tree Point beach. Some years I sail down, rather
than drive, and borrow a mooring from The Noroton Yacht Club.

BB

.. .
wrote:

Where is the Merrit Parkway then?

Runs from the Greenwich border up to where it becomes the Wilbur
Cross. All part of rt 15. Then it goes to being rt 5/15 which is
called the Berlin Turnpike. In the 1950's the Berlin Turnpike was a
mecca for traveling asalesmen. Then it went fallow for a long time.
Finally the property became so cheap that lots of developers came in
and tore down most of the sleazy motels to build retail shopping. It's
now a major shopping destination.

They recently replaced the metal bridge over the Housatonic at exit 55
in Stratford. They also recently renamed West Rock Tunnel, which I
think is a mistake.

Another recent change is that when driving along the Wilbur Cross and
the Merritt, you often see flocks of wild turkeys.

By the way, you spelled Merritt wrong!

BB

.. .

wrote:

You lie!

If that's true, then I guess I lie in Connecticut as well!

BB

.. .

wrote:

You are not in Connecticut at all.

Oh, but I am! I live in Connecticut, work in Connecticut, and

keep
my
boat in Connecticut. My area code at home and at work is 860,
although
my boat is kept in area code 203, within about 10 miles of the
Thimble
Islands.

BB

.. .

wrote:

dialup-4.245.230.15.dial1.stamford1.level3.net

You are still way (about 85 or 90 miles) off. I've already

said
many
times I'm
in Connecticut, any way. But, thanks for playing!

BB

Bob Crantz

I'm familiar with Green's ledge and the channel north of Sheffield Island. I
learned to sail in Scott Cove, I grew up in Darien.
Have you seen the remnants of the old submarine net that used to stretch
across the east end of LIS?
Why are you getting tired?

wrote:

Then you must know Peck's ledge.

Yes, of course I know Peck's Ledge. Since you don't know the area
well, I suggest that you enter Norwalk via Greens Ledge. That's the
other light house down off the end of Sheffield Island. It's much less
complicated.

Do you have a point with all of this, Babs? It's getting pretty
tiresome.

BB

.. .
wrote:

Where are the Scotch Caps then?

Way down in the Western LIS. Not in Connecticut. I rarely go down that
far. I grew up sailing in Norwalk, CT, and I used to visit the Western
end more often then. I haven't been west of Goodwives River in a very
long time. I go there every year because I host a reunion for my old
prep school on Pear Tree Point beach. Some years I sail down, rather
than drive, and borrow a mooring from The Noroton Yacht Club.

BB

.. .

wrote:

[...]

.. .

wrote:

You lie!

If that's true, then I guess I lie in Connecticut as well!

BB

.. .

wrote:

You are not in Connecticut at all.

Oh, but I am! I live in Connecticut, work in Connecticut, and

keep
my
boat in Connecticut. My area code at home and at work is 860,
although
my boat is kept in area code 203, within about 10 miles of the
Thimble
Islands.

BB

.. .

wrote:

dialup-4.245.230.15.dial1.stamford1.level3.net

You are still way (about 85 or 90 miles) off. I've already

said
many
times I'm
in Connecticut, any way. But, thanks for playing!

BB

Bob Crantz

A park and some left wing nature preserve.

Goodwives, after the river.

Do you shop at Trader Joe's on Old King's Road?

What parts of the Merritt Parkway have Belgian Block Granite road base and
from what two quarries were they mined?

wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 18:33:03 GMT, "Bob Crantz"
wrote:

I'm familiar with Green's ledge and the channel north of Sheffield

Island. I
learned to sail in Scott Cove, I grew up in Darien.
Have you seen the remnants of the old submarine net that used to stretch
across the east end of LIS?
Why are you getting tired?

What was on Brookside Road besides houses and farms? What is the name
of the shopping center by the river?

BB

.. .
wrote:

Then you must know Peck's ledge.

Yes, of course I know Peck's Ledge. Since you don't know the area
well, I suggest that you enter Norwalk via Greens Ledge. That's the
other light house down off the end of Sheffield Island. It's much less
complicated.

Do you have a point with all of this, Babs? It's getting pretty
tiresome.

BB

.. .

wrote:

Where are the Scotch Caps then?

Way down in the Western LIS. Not in Connecticut. I rarely go down

that
far. I grew up sailing in Norwalk, CT, and I used to visit the

Western
end more often then. I haven't been west of Goodwives River in a

very
long time. I go there every year because I host a reunion for my old
prep school on Pear Tree Point beach. Some years I sail down, rather
than drive, and borrow a mooring from The Noroton Yacht Club.

BB

.. .

wrote:

[...]

.. .

wrote:

You lie!

If that's true, then I guess I lie in Connecticut as well!

BB

.. .

wrote:

You are not in Connecticut at all.

Oh, but I am! I live in Connecticut, work in Connecticut,

and
keep
my
boat in Connecticut. My area code at home and at work is

860,
although
my boat is kept in area code 203, within about 10 miles of

the
Thimble
Islands.

BB

.. .

wrote:

dialup-4.245.230.15.dial1.stamford1.level3.net

You are still way (about 85 or 90 miles) off. I've

already
said
many
times I'm
in Connecticut, any way. But, thanks for playing!

BB

Bob Crantz

The old Cherry Lawn School.

I like the old Parkway architecture. Did Robert Moses do the Merritt?

Do you remember that big farmhouse up by Mather Road?

wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:19:43 GMT, "Bob Crantz"
wrote:

A park and some left wing nature preserve.

What was there previously?

Goodwives, after the river.

yep

Do you shop at Trader Joe's on Old King's Road?

Nope. I don't live down there any longer. I'm up near Hartford
overlooking a bigger river! I think Trader Joe's is comparatively
recent? I used to shop at Gristedes sometimes. Are they still there?

What parts of the Merritt Parkway have Belgian Block Granite road base

and
from what two quarries were they mined?

I don't know the answers to that one.

The exit ramps used to be very short and tight, because they were
designed when cars went a lot slower. Those have all been upgraded in
recent years. The entrance ramps are now longer, too, so you can get
up to speed before entering the road. They are also "sort of"
restoring the old look of the parkway, with wooden rather than metal
guard rails.

The original signage was all very rustic. The old signs were green,
and wooden with ragged zig-zag (toothed) edges cut out. The white
letters were glued on and had little glass beads set on them to make
them reflective.

They are currently replacing all the modern signage with replicas of
the old signs, but made out of painted metal that is reflectorzed to
meet today's Highway standards. They have even painted a tooth pattern
along the edges to look vaguely like he originals.

The original bridges over the Merritt were interesting because they
were all adorned differently.

BB

.. .
wrote:

I'm familiar with Green's ledge and the channel north of Sheffield

Island. I
learned to sail in Scott Cove, I grew up in Darien.
Have you seen the remnants of the old submarine net that used to

stretch
across the east end of LIS?
Why are you getting tired?

What was on Brookside Road besides houses and farms? What is the name
of the shopping center by the river?

BB

.. .

wrote:

Then you must know Peck's ledge.

Yes, of course I know Peck's Ledge. Since you don't know the area
well, I suggest that you enter Norwalk via Greens Ledge. That's the
other light house down off the end of Sheffield Island. It's much

less
complicated.

Do you have a point with all of this, Babs? It's getting pretty
tiresome.

BB

.. .

wrote:

Where are the Scotch Caps then?

Way down in the Western LIS. Not in Connecticut. I rarely go down

that
far. I grew up sailing in Norwalk, CT, and I used to visit the

Western
end more often then. I haven't been west of Goodwives River in a

very
long time. I go there every year because I host a reunion for my

old
prep school on Pear Tree Point beach. Some years I sail down,

rather
than drive, and borrow a mooring from The Noroton Yacht Club.

BB

.. .

wrote:

[...]

.. .

wrote:

You lie!

If that's true, then I guess I lie in Connecticut as well!

BB

.. .

wrote:

You are not in Connecticut at all.

Oh, but I am! I live in Connecticut, work in

Connecticut,
and
keep
my
boat in Connecticut. My area code at home and at work is

860,
although
my boat is kept in area code 203, within about 10 miles

of
the
Thimble
Islands.

BB

.. .

wrote:

dialup-4.245.230.15.dial1.stamford1.level3.net

You are still way (about 85 or 90 miles) off. I've

already
said
many
times I'm
in Connecticut, any way. But, thanks for playing!

BB

Bob Crantz

You're almost correct about the Belgian Block. It was pulled from some older
nearby roads, it's in sections here and there. It wasn't all granite,
though. Most was quarried from New Haven.
Did you know that one of the guys from the band KISS lived up on Brookside?
What High School did you go to?

wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:57:11 GMT, "Bob Crantz"
wrote:

The old Cherry Lawn School.

I like the old Parkway architecture. Did Robert Moses do the Merritt?

Do you remember that big farmhouse up by Mather Road?

The big farmhouse - Do you mean the one on the corner of Brookside and
Mather with the white fence around it? I think they used that to shoot
some episodes of the TV show, Dark Shadows, once or twice. They also
used the Lockwood-Matthews Mansion in Norwalk as a set for that show.

What was the answer about the Belgian Block? You've got me curious.
The surface of the Merritt was originally concrete, but I have no
recollection about anything like Belgian Block, except maybe in the
service plazas.

BB

.. .
wrote:

[...]

.. .

wrote:

I'm familiar with Green's ledge and the channel north of Sheffield
Island. I
learned to sail in Scott Cove, I grew up in Darien.
Have you seen the remnants of the old submarine net that used to

stretch
across the east end of LIS?
Why are you getting tired?

What was on Brookside Road besides houses and farms? What is the

name
of the shopping center by the river?

BB

.. .

wrote:

Then you must know Peck's ledge.

Yes, of course I know Peck's Ledge. Since you don't know the area
well, I suggest that you enter Norwalk via Greens Ledge. That's

the
other light house down off the end of Sheffield Island. It's much

less
complicated.

Do you have a point with all of this, Babs? It's getting pretty
tiresome.

BB

.. .

wrote:

Where are the Scotch Caps then?

Way down in the Western LIS. Not in Connecticut. I rarely go

down
that
far. I grew up sailing in Norwalk, CT, and I used to visit the
Western
end more often then. I haven't been west of Goodwives River in

very
long time. I go there every year because I host a reunion for

my
old
prep school on Pear Tree Point beach. Some years I sail down,

rather
than drive, and borrow a mooring from The Noroton Yacht Club.

BB

.. .

wrote:

[...]

.. .

wrote:

You lie!

If that's true, then I guess I lie in Connecticut as

well!

BB

.. .

wrote:

You are not in Connecticut at all.

Oh, but I am! I live in Connecticut, work in

Connecticut,
and
keep
my
boat in Connecticut. My area code at home and at work

is
860,
although
my boat is kept in area code 203, within about 10

miles
of
the
Thimble
Islands.

BB

.. .

wrote:

dialup-4.245.230.15.dial1.stamford1.level3.net

You are still way (about 85 or 90 miles) off.

I've
already
said
many
times I'm
in Connecticut, any way. But, thanks for playing!

BB

Scott Vernon

PLONK !

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Put some zinc oxide on that lip Bobby.

I'm not going near your lip! Talk to Scotty Potti.

RB

Scott Vernon

wrote ...

Bob, and a year ago, that would have been completely out of the

question, but we
now seem to have found some common ground.

Common ground? Yeah, you're both assholes.

Scotty

Bob Crantz

Did I ever say you were in Colorado?

Who, in their right mind would ever want to live there?

There's no sailing, it's winter almost all year and it's nothing but
mountains.

A good number of the Belgian Blocks are on the service plazas. There's one
other place to see them but it's an obscure little stretch. I'm convinced
that you live in Connecticut, as you seem to know good detail about areas
I'm very familiar with.

Bob is actually a very nice person in real life. It's hard to believe it
here, but he is a very caring person. Don't believe the stuff about his
boxing or superhuman strength. He's a big fellow but more like a big
marshmellow. He likes to kid around and is a lot of fun. You'll see when you
meet him.

Bob Crantz

wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:03:01 GMT, "Bob Crantz"

wrote:

You're almost correct about the Belgian Block. It was pulled from some

older
nearby roads, it's in sections here and there. It wasn't all granite,
though. Most was quarried from New Haven.
Did you know that one of the guys from the band KISS lived up on

Brookside?
What High School did you go to?

The First Selectman before the present one grew up on Brookside road. I'm

pretty
sure he wasn't in Kiss, though!

So what IS the answer to the question about the stone? I mentioned the

service
plazas, because I faintly remember seeing cobble stone or something like

that in
them. Maybe a pad where the pumps were, and the curbs? I really don't

remember
for sure.

So, do you still think I'm in Colorado, like Neal the Schmuck? I'm

guessing you
are a little smarter and more computer savvy than he is.

Do you still live around Darien? Maybe you, me and Bob can raft up next

season
at some point for a good laugh or two if I sail down that way. I have

nevert met
Bob, and a year ago, that would have been completely out of the question,

but we
now seem to have found some common ground. It's caused a few regulars here

have fainting spells.

BB

.. .
wrote:

The old Cherry Lawn School.

I like the old Parkway architecture. Did Robert Moses do the Merritt?

Do you remember that big farmhouse up by Mather Road?

The big farmhouse - Do you mean the one on the corner of Brookside and
Mather with the white fence around it? I think they used that to shoot
some episodes of the TV show, Dark Shadows, once or twice. They also
used the Lockwood-Matthews Mansion in Norwalk as a set for that show.

What was the answer about the Belgian Block? You've got me curious.
The surface of the Merritt was originally concrete, but I have no
recollection about anything like Belgian Block, except maybe in the
service plazas.

BB

.. .

wrote:

[...]

.. .

wrote:

I'm familiar with Green's ledge and the channel north of

Sheffield
Island. I
learned to sail in Scott Cove, I grew up in Darien.
Have you seen the remnants of the old submarine net that used to
stretch
across the east end of LIS?
Why are you getting tired?

What was on Brookside Road besides houses and farms? What is the

name
of the shopping center by the river?

BB

.. .

wrote:

Then you must know Peck's ledge.

Yes, of course I know Peck's Ledge. Since you don't know the

area
well, I suggest that you enter Norwalk via Greens Ledge.

That's
the
other light house down off the end of Sheffield Island. It's

much
less
complicated.

Do you have a point with all of this, Babs? It's getting

pretty
tiresome.

BB

.. .

wrote:

[...]

.. .

wrote:

[...]

.. .

wrote:

You lie!

If that's true, then I guess I lie in Connecticut as

well!

BB

.. .

wrote:

You are not in Connecticut at all.

Oh, but I am! I live in Connecticut, work in
Connecticut,
and
keep
my
boat in Connecticut. My area code at home and at

work
is
860,
although
my boat is kept in area code 203, within about 10

miles
of
the
Thimble
Islands.

BB

.. .

wrote:

dialup-4.245.230.15.dial1.stamford1.level3.net

You are still way (about 85 or 90 miles) off.

I've
already
said
many
times I'm
in Connecticut, any way. But, thanks for

playing!

BB

Overproof

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
Bob is actually a very nice person in real life. It's hard to believe it
here, but he is a very caring person. Don't believe the stuff about his
boxing or superhuman strength. He's a big fellow but more like a big
marshmellow. He likes to kid around and is a lot of fun. You'll see when
you
meet him.

I never met Bob... yet that's how I pictured him....

.....except dumber, tasteless, a twisted sense of humour and with less
caring.

Heh wait just a minute here... I think that describes Bill!!!!!

:-D

CM