Bob Crantz

Default Halifax Bluenose II

"The Church-A Sailboat on the Rough Seas"

(A conversation with children)

Have any of you ever gone sailing? Was it fun? Scary?

This morning I brought along a picture of a huge sailboat. It's on this
placemat.

Do any of you recognize it? That's right. It's called the BLUENOSE ll.

It sails out of Halifax Nova Scotia. It is called the BLUENOSE ll because it
is a copy or replica of the original Bluenose, which for 15 years, was the
fastest sailboat in the world!

Well, a few years ago I was in Halifax on the windiest day of the summer and
I had a chance to go for a sail on the Bluenose.

This was the first time I had ever been on a large sailboat. When we got out
of the harbour the seas were rough and even with just one large sail up we
were going very fast as we headed into the unknown sea.

What an incredible feeling it was with the wind pushing us along.

I was a little frightened at first but then I realized that the crew were
all working together.

I could see that the Captain knew how to keep the sailboat on course, even
though the waves and the wind were beating down hard upon us.

The reason I am talking about a sailboat is because, since very early times,
followers of Jesus, Christians, came to realize that a picture of a sailboat
on the rough seas was a good symbol for the Church.

Now, a symbol is something that is used to remind us of something else. I
wonder why they felt a sailboat on the rough seas was a good symbol for the
church?

Let's see if we can discover why?

Stop and think for a minute-what does a sailboat need for it to work right?

CREW-willing to work and learn together.

CAPTAIN-someone whom they can trust, even with their lives since the sea can
be dangerous at times.

WIND-a sailboat can't go on its own-needs another source of power.

COMPASS-even though the wind can push and pull it in many directions, a
compass lets the crew know which direction is the one that keeps them on
course.

A sailboat on the sea-it is a good symbol for the Church!

For, as a Church, we work best when we learn and work together.

And we believe that even though life can be dangerous we have a Captain who
can be trusted with our lives-God.

We have a compass too-namely the life and teachings of Jesus.

And on Pentecost we are reminded that God's presence is like the wind,
invisible, yet blowing in and through our lives, giving us strength and
hope, and reminding us that we are never alone.

Oh yes, I almost forgot. Did you know that everyone in Canada at some time
or another carries this sailboat with them?

Why some of you maybe even have the BLUENOSE with you right now!

That's right-it's on every dime. Here are some-take a look.

So the next time you receive or find a dime and notice the picture of this
magnificent sailboat, I hope it will also remind you what being the Church
is all about.

Before you leave for Sunday School, let's pray together:

Dear God,

-even though we cannot see you,

-help us to know,

-that you love us always.