Joe

Default Crunch time

So whats the deal with you Northern folks.

Do you pull your boats to keep the ice from crunching them, or it it
just so cold that you never take them anywhere?

What about the folks who live aboard. What do they do? Move ashore.
Do the steel hulls stay in the water? Unafraid of the ice.

Must suck to only be able to use your boat half the year.
Make your boat worth half as much huh?

Joe
John Cairns

"Joe" wrote in message
om...
So whats the deal with you Northern folks.

Do you pull your boats to keep the ice from crunching them, or it it
just so cold that you never take them anywhere?

What about the folks who live aboard. What do they do? Move ashore.
Do the steel hulls stay in the water? Unafraid of the ice.

Must suck to only be able to use your boat half the year.
Make your boat worth half as much huh?

Joe

Twice as much, actually. Fresh water boats do sell for more, for obvious
reasons, not sure how much more, I have a number like 5% in my head. Most
places around here require you to haul your boat, my marina was around the
end of October, at the marinas behind my house sometime in early November.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...5018MtCDzTyuKC
They've been living here for a few years, the water doesn't freeze, probably
due to the current. All the comforts of home but this guy told me he had a
wife and two kids, can't imagine living aboard a boat that small with that
many people, even if they were related.
John Cairns

Scott Vernon

"Joe" wrote in message ...
So whats the deal with you Northern folks.

Do you pull your boats to keep the ice from crunching them, or it it
just so cold that you never take them anywhere?

Mostly because it's too darn cold to be sailing. Also, when the snow
starts it's a mess getting to the boat and on the boat. Some do leave
them in all winter. Our marina supplies ice bubblers at the docks.
Gotta keep the water system winterized. I hear it's good for the hull
to let it 'dry out' while on the hard.

Scotty

Joe

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message ...
"Joe" wrote in message ...
So whats the deal with you Northern folks.

Do you pull your boats to keep the ice from crunching them, or it it
just so cold that you never take them anywhere?

Mostly because it's too darn cold to be sailing. Also, when the snow
starts it's a mess getting to the boat and on the boat. Some do leave
them in all winter. Our marina supplies ice bubblers at the docks.

Whats an Ice bubbler?

Gotta keep the water system winterized.

Yeah we had the dock water lines freeze here once.

I hear it's good for the hull
to let it 'dry out' while on the hard.

I guess for plastic thats right. Infact if they never touch the water
it would be best.

But what do all the live aboards do? I've thought about moving my boat
to Michigan so I could be closer to some of my clients. Was looking
real hard at Holland. But no way would I live ashore...it's un-natural
and un-thinkable.

Joe

Scotty

katysails

Holland???? No way....that's way too close to us...Max and I would have to
come and sink you. Besides that, Lake Mucka%$ck and the area would not be
your cup of tea at all....the first time you spoke a swear word they would
hang you up in the pillory for the day...and there's no buying alcohol on
Sundays....

Bubblers are just that...gadgets that blow a stream of bubbles around the
hull of your boat to keep the water moving...they are used in the winter for
ice and the summer to keep algae from growing...

om...
"Joe" wrote in message ...
[...]

Scott Vernon

om...

"Joe" wrote in message ...
So whats the deal with you Northern folks.

Do you pull your boats to keep the ice from crunching them, or

it it
just so cold that you never take them anywhere?

Mostly because it's too darn cold to be sailing. Also, when the

snow
starts it's a mess getting to the boat and on the boat. Some do

leave
them in all winter. Our marina supplies ice bubblers at the

docks.

Whats an Ice bubbler?

A real bubbler sits on the bottom and forces air bubbles to escape
24/7. We use a De-icer, it's a prop in the water that spins to keep
the warmer deep water flowing towards the top so so ice forms.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...uctDisplay?sto
reId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=11841&catalogId=10001& c
lassNum=756&subdeptNum=11207&storeNum=5

Yeah we had the dock water lines freeze here once.

You're kidding?

But what do all the live aboards do?

turn the heat on and snuggle.

I've thought about moving my boat
to Michigan

You wouldn't like it, trusy me, I've been there.

Scotty

katysails

So whats the deal with you Northern folks.

What you forget is that in your southern climes, you also have freat periods
of time where it is bery wet and humid or it's hurricane season, and
although you can live on your boat, sailing is for crap.

Do you pull your boats to keep the ice from crunching them, \

Basically, yes....

or it it
just so cold that you never take them anywhere?

You'd have to attach skis to the bottom...the ice breaker only goes down the
middle of Lake Michigan until the end of December and then they just let
everything freeze over if it's a cold winter...or maybe they don't do that
anymore since there aren't any more Christmas tree boats going to Chicago...

What about the folks who live aboard. What do they do?

They line their docks with bubblers so the water doesn't freeze and hope to
God the power doesn't go out...

Move ashore.

Marina we used to stay at had a family that lived aboard while their boat
was on the hard...had to use a portable pump out device....was quite rugged
from what I heard...

Do the steel hulls stay in the water?

No. Aren't that many of them up here. Unless you're a laker and they stay
in the water...not much stops a laker....but they stop running when the big
lake freezes over...

Unafraid of the ice.

You ever seen moving ice flows? Even in your steel hull you would be
afraid...ice flows can hull you pretty fast...

Must suck to only be able to use your boat half the year.

Yeah? Every time we go to Florida we see tha majority of boats that sit and
rot in marinas and never go out. People up here use their boats every
chance they get...

Make your boat worth half as much huh?

Nope...actually our boats have better value because they don't suffer the
depredation of salt and excessive UV rays...

Keep trolling...maybe you'll get good at it one day....

Joe

Scott Vernon

Do the steel hulls stay in the water?

Only till they rust away.