Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Michael

Default In and out sort of report

Back on the frieghter for the last voyage. The boat is close to being done
and next Spring/Summer will see that project finally over. Time to go back
to sailing. Still plan to test sail the boat in the PNW, US and Canada for
a bit then truck to Great Lakes and on down to the Atlantic. This as a
research project for the magazine, article to be entitled "Canals On
Wheels, An alternative to Panama.' Once the hurricane season passes will be
heading to the Caribbean where I've arranged gainful employment delivering
charter boats and doing day and week charter work for a while. My ace in
the hole should I need to work is contacts in the crew and work boat
industry but right now the bills are non-existent and the kitty is getting
very fat so I don't see the need. After next years season I'm thinking of
two directions and of course they are opposite each other. Norway and
Australia....well I guess a little route planning is in order. Although the
emergency route South down the Pacific Coast is still in play. One of the
main reasons for going East and South is visiting, finally, with a lot of
the L&A and .asa people so don't be surprised if one day someone looks at
you and says, "Smile you're on Candid Cutter!"

Now the case for professionalism loomed large this week. Our ship was in
Mobile for repairs to the bow thrusters but not in drydock. Raised 7 deg.
forward and two to starboard we were something like a bottom aft centered
weather vane if not tied to the dock. This raised the affected area so that
only a small coffer dam was needed. This past Tuesday AM the last tests
were scheduled but preceding them came a squall with a ground level
microburst. What the oldtimer sailors referred to as the infamous white
squall. On the quarterdeck (the term used these days for where the gangway
is located) I could see it coming. First the usual rain pitter patter then
harder then the wind increasing slightly. Put on the foulie jacket and went
to check the gangway ladder. About that time it started hopping so I hit
the button to settle it down a bit more. Looked to the bow just in time to
see one of our lines part and another snatch a dock bollard out of it's
base. Ship's bow started moving off the dock and it was katy bar the door!
The wind went from 23-30 knots to 70 plus in mere seconds. Captain had been
on the bridge and called all hands as the ship listed more to starboard and
snapped a few more lines. We ran to the bow and got the anchor down then
used the stores crane with a manlift basket to put some crew ashore and
started resetting new lines. At this time the ship was 15 to 20 feet off
the dock midships, hinging on the stern lines and those few left forward
stretched and popping strands. Took about five minutes for all this to
happen and luckily a couple of tugs were going by and lent assistanve
pushing us back in. Good thing cause allthat stood between our 40,000 tons
empty weight and the ship on the other pier was .....not much.
The good thing was the way the crew turned to and applied the training we've
all had. Definitely not the time for panic prone amatuers. So all and all
an adventuresome morning...one not to be wished for ever again.

I'm ready for a nice quiet trip to the Gulf!

See a goodly number of you next year!

M.