Joe

Default How Thick?

Sould Glass be for an overhead hatch?

Our galley is a little dark so Im thinking of putting in a big
overhead hatch for light and ventilation. One like you have seen in
the movie the White Squall, and in the movie thats the one jeff
bridges is seeing his wife under as the boat sinks. Seems that one was
quite thick seeing how he went down with her 20-30 feet and it did not
implode.

I figure it will have two opening hatches each 1' X 3'. I will either
go with 3- 1'X1' panes, or a single 1'X3'. I think the 3 panes would
look better but would be more prone for leaks.

Anyone have a big overhead hatch? Any thing that screws up on them all
the time that I should avoid? Im making the frames out of steel

Joe
Wally

Joe wrote:

I figure it will have two opening hatches each 1' X 3'. I will either
go with 3- 1'X1' panes, or a single 1'X3'. I think the 3 panes would
look better but would be more prone for leaks.

The required thickness for given loading depends on the type of glass - some
types of treatment can make glass very flexible. FWIW, the Houdini hatches
(about 20" square) have 1/4" toughened glass with some aluminium bars over
the top. At a guess, I'd imagine that 1/2" would be the absolute thickest
you'd require, probably less for the right treatment.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com