sfts

Default Deckhands and damages

We just had a seriously bad experience with an exchange student who came to
us writing that she had a Spanish Professional Skipper Licence.
It showed she had never sailed before, not telling us about it, had gotten
thelicence together with her university degree as marine biologist and fell
asleep during an anchor watch.
Result 3000 Euro worth of damages.
This just as a little hint to what a paper is worth and as a skipper to make
sure that the persons you have on board have sufficient insurance to cover
damages they cause.
Chris
www.sailingforthesea.com

Joe

"sfts" wrote in message ...
We just had a seriously bad experience with an exchange student who came to
us writing that she had a Spanish Professional Skipper Licence.
It showed she had never sailed before, not telling us about it, had gotten
thelicence together with her university degree as marine biologist and fell
asleep during an anchor watch.
Result 3000 Euro worth of damages.
This just as a little hint to what a paper is worth and as a skipper to make
sure that the persons you have on board have sufficient insurance to cover
damages they cause.
Chris
www.sailingforthesea.com

Well you should of taken in an American Exchange Student Skipper.

You get what you pay for.

Tell us more and we will tell you rather she was the idiot...... or
you were the idiot.

At this point Im assuming it's you. I would not trust my vessel to any
exchange student, deckhand, American cups winner...whoever, that I
have not sailed with many time and felt that they can handle the
responsibility.

Stop blaming the poor lass. Your the Bully and a ass.

Joe

Joe
Donal

"Joe" wrote in message
om...
"sfts" wrote in message

We just had a seriously bad experience with an exchange student who came

us writing that she had a Spanish Professional Skipper Licence.
It showed she had never sailed before, not telling us about it, had

gotten
thelicence together with her university degree as marine biologist and

fell
asleep during an anchor watch.
Result 3000 Euro worth of damages.

That sounds dreadful. Was the skipper punished?

It's very difficult to get a competent skipper nowadays.

Regards

Donal