Geoffrey W. Schultz

Default Grenada

I kept my boat in Grenada during the 2001 hurricane season as it was *just*
past 12 degrees and outside of the hurricane belt. I watched with horror
as Ivan struck Grenada head-on and according to the news flattened 90% of
the island. I'm wondering if anyone has any information as to how the boat
yards fared. I was in Prickly Bay Marina which is fairly well protected in
a deep bay compared to St. David's which has no protection. Any
information would be helpful.

Thanks, Geoff
just me

Geoff: I tried to respond directly to you, but the message was kicked back.
I have an email from someone who was there during Ivan's 14 hour pass that I
can send you.
It's pretty bad. Many, many boats lost

--

Jay A. Howell, CFP
Registered Representative
"Geoffrey W. Schultz" wrote in message
. 16...
I kept my boat in Grenada during the 2001 hurricane season as it was

*just*
past 12 degrees and outside of the hurricane belt. I watched with horror
as Ivan struck Grenada head-on and according to the news flattened 90% of
the island. I'm wondering if anyone has any information as to how the

boat
yards fared. I was in Prickly Bay Marina which is fairly well protected

in
a deep bay compared to St. David's which has no protection. Any
information would be helpful.

Thanks, Geoff

Kelton Joyner

Here is an early report from Grenada. I don't know these people myself but
am thankful they are OK.

Hi guys -

Well God has been good to us again. Hurricane Ivan went directly over where
we are and we are still here to talk about it. Many boats sunk many are
blown ashore and some are crushed. Winds were clocked at 150 or better and
hurricane force winds lasted at least 4-5 hours. 50-60 MPH winds for 12
hours after wards. So here's the big question where were we?

On the boat of coarse. We put out three anchors and did not tie up to the
mangrove trees, because we thought it best to swing with the wind as it
changed directions. The boats in the trees (which were most of them) got
tore up pretty bad plus when a boat drug down on them they had no where to
go.

We did have a boat drag down on us ( we stayed firm on our anchors till then
) It was healed clear over and it's mast rode down our backstay, took out
most of our stanchions on our starboard side, Took out three solar panels,
ripped our dingy apart, scratched the boat up and pulled up our two main
anchors each all chain.

We had a fortress on mostly line that ended up holding us. Art had to get
on the helm and motor into the wind till the anchor caught. Not a fun time
for him with the wind blowing 100 mph.

We were in a A1 hurricane hole and 30 out of 50 boats either piled up on
each other or got pushed up on land and two were sunk. Many had holes in
the sides of there boats. The bay we were in before we came to the
hurricane hole ( Prickly Bay) was completely wiped out - not a boat
floating.

Granada is devastated not many buildings ( houses or business) undamaged or
left standing. No phones, no electricity, no cell phone towers the roads
for the most part are unpassable. We heard there are 22 deaths reported so
far but none of them are cruiser that we know of. The houses around us
mostly don't have roofs left.

We feel very fortunate and thank God for our safety. The rides at
Disneyland don't hold a light to being on a sailboat in a category 3 -4
hurricane. If we had to do it again we still would stay with the boat. we
feel that because we were there that our anchors got to reset or we would of
been on the banks with everyone else. The people that went ashore to
Hotels had their big glass doors blown out and watched the roofs blow off
over their heads. This was not just one building but all of them.

For Magic Dragon we talked to some one at St David's that said they thought
your boat was still standing but 30 percent of the boats were knocked over,
the restaurant and IWW is gone there too.. Spice Island Boatyard only had 2
big catamarans left standing.

We didn't sleep much last night because the wind continued to blow all night
after the hurricane with 40- 50 knot gust. So we are tired and going to
bed.

God bless!
Art and PJ

just me wrote:
Geoff: I tried to respond directly to you, but the message was kicked back.
I have an email from someone who was there during Ivan's 14 hour pass that I
can send you.
It's pretty bad. Many, many boats lost

SAIL LOCO

We had a fortress on mostly line that ended up holding us.

Gee, a couple of self proclaimed "experts" were knocking Fortress anchors on
here just a few weeks ago.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"Trains are a winter sport"
Jeff Morris

I assume you're talking about me because I was a bit critical of your use for an
FX11 as a primary anchor on a 30 foot boat. However, your comprehension seems
faulty, since I said:

"But the issue is not how well the larger Fortress's performs in straight line
tests. They do damn well most of the time, especially for its weight. That's
why I've carried one for a dozen years and recommend them."

and:

"Secondly, although the Fortress has many virtues, resetting on wind or current
changes is not one of them. This is especially true for the small sizes - I
went from a FX16 to a FX23 because of this problem."

The major flaw of the Fortress is resetting on wind shifts, which is not a big
problem when three anchors are set for a storm. Also, I doubt the anchor this
person is talking about is an FX11 (which weighs 7 pounds); a lot of cruisers
use the huge FX85 as a storm anchor, and that's what I would carry if I cruised
the Caribbean in hurricane season.

The Danforth style anchors are great for storm anchors and multiple anchor
setups. I carry a Fortress as a secondary, and a Danforth as a third backup.
A friend of mine is fond of pointing to his small Danforth on the stern and
saying, "That's the anchor that held us during the 'Storm of the Century.'"

But this still doesn't mean that a 7 pound Fortress is appropriate as the only
anchor for a 30 foot cruiser.

"SAIL LOCO" wrote in message
We had a fortress on mostly line that ended up holding us.

Gee, a couple of self proclaimed "experts" were knocking Fortress anchors on
here just a few weeks ago.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"Trains are a winter sport"

Bobsprit

But this still doesn't mean that a 7 pound Fortress is appropriate as the only
anchor for a 30 foot cruiser.

It sure as hell isn't, then again Loco isn't appropraite for being at the helm
of a 30 foot boat either.
The Fortress is a good anchor. My buddy uses one now on his J29, but it's
bigger than Loco's. Of course my buddy has been sailing boats for 25 years and
knows how to choose the right sized anchor.

RB
SAIL LOCO

I assume you're talking about me because I was a bit critical of your use
for an
FX11 as a primary anchor on a 30 foot boat. However, your comprehension seems
faulty, since I said:

I don't remember who it was. But if it was you or someone else that wanted or
wants to think he's a big man for knocking me for carring a FX-11 then YOUR
COMPREHENSION IS FAULTY since I only stated no less than 5 times I ain't out in
nasty weather looking to anchor in a storm. I carry the Fortress because it's
light and I race. It's designed to hold my mid displacement boat in most
conditions. About the only time I anchor during most summers is when we have
race committee duty or for an occasional lunch. When we are out on an
overnight we stay at a nice marina and eat at nice restaurants. So you see I
don't need a selection of "better" ground tackle. Please try to get this.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"Trains are a winter sport"

Rosalie B.

"Geoffrey W. Schultz" wrote:

I kept my boat in Grenada during the 2001 hurricane season as it was *just*
past 12 degrees and outside of the hurricane belt. I watched with horror
as Ivan struck Grenada head-on and according to the news flattened 90% of
the island. I'm wondering if anyone has any information as to how the boat
yards fared. I was in Prickly Bay Marina which is fairly well protected in
a deep bay compared to St. David's which has no protection. Any
information would be helpful.

This is an aerial photo which shows a boat

http://stormcarib.com/reports/2004/jpg00454.jpg

Going to the stormcarib.com bulleting board the Grenada section
http://stormcarib.com/reports/2004/grenada.shtml

I am copying two messages from this bulletin board related to boats
since I don't know the topography of Grenada at all -

"Just found out Gregg and Carol 'New Passages' are ok, he is passing
messages for others on airmail and sailmail ). Gary
and Sharon on 'Illusion' are OK but their boat is missing. Just talked
with Greg there are at the yacht club. The concrete dock is fine, the
building is trash ..minor damage on boat...two British war ships in the
area assisting (one is HMS Richman). He is becoming 'Radio Grenada'.
Winlink is setting up a special pmbo etc for him....Yahoo is ok. Clarks
Court is gone."

Date: 09-08-04 18:25
This was received from a boat in Clarks Court Bay Grenada that was
damaged but not sunk. They took the time to go look at our boat Sea
Witch at Clarks Court Bay Marina. Good luck to all cruisers in
Grenada
John
S/V Sea Witch

I hate to be the one but you might as well know it is very bad. I
haven't seen it yet but I understand there were only a few boats left
on the docks and Sea Witch was not one of them. I can't believe this
happened as soon as you left but there is nothing you could have done
if you were here. I understand there was a lot of damage to the boats
in the mangroves in Eggmont. Most of the boats in Mt Hartman are on
the beach. Boats that were on the hard at Spice Island and Grenada
Marine are on the ground. Also very bad picture from the lagoon. All
phones, radio, water, etc is out. No one even knows if anyone was
killed because there is no communication.
The weather service just kept saying it would turn north and most
everyone thought we had better anchorages here than in Trini. Many
boats did go south or to Venezuela. When it passed south of us we
really got the brunt. We hear on the radio that many roads are blocked
with trees or washed out. Most of the trees have lost all leaves and
most branches. Most houses have lost roofs. Most phone and radio are
out as well. Many of the boats that were at your dock washed ashore
with what appears to be little damage.
Dick just got back and he says the boat next to you is ashore, then
the finger pier and next is your boat partially ashore. He saw your
friend Bequia and he said tell you hi. His boat was sunk.
Let us know if there is anything we can do.
Jo and Dick

grandma Rosalie