Bobsprit

Default The Dinghy Tale

One of the more annoying losses when Alien was robbed was the loss of my
Quicksilver Dinghy and 5hp Tohatsu outboard. The upside is that I've covered
completely and I can have all new stuff....not that the stolen stuff was old. I
will be getting one of the new 4cycle outboards, but I'm wondering what to do
about the dinghy this time around.

Question: Will a smaller Dinghy plane like the 9'10 Quicksilver did with the
same HP. I may actually go to a 6HP. Any chance that a 6HP will be enough to
plane with 2 people aboard? I'll also be looking into the Porta-boats. How well
will they plane with two people and 6HP?

RB
Capt. Mooron

Bob... you need a 9.9hp to achieve plane.

CM

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

| One of the more annoying losses when Alien was robbed was the loss of my
| Quicksilver Dinghy and 5hp Tohatsu outboard. The upside is that I've
covered
| completely and I can have all new stuff....not that the stolen stuff was
old. I
| will be getting one of the new 4cycle outboards, but I'm wondering what to
do
| about the dinghy this time around.
|
| Question: Will a smaller Dinghy plane like the 9'10 Quicksilver did with
the
| same HP. I may actually go to a 6HP. Any chance that a 6HP will be enough
| plane with 2 people aboard? I'll also be looking into the Porta-boats. How
well
| will they plane with two people and 6HP?
|
| RB

Maxprop

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message

Bob... you need a 9.9hp to achieve plane.

Agreed. My wife and I could plane our 10' Zodiac with a Merc 6hp, but it
took a lot of forward leaning, and a set of cavitation plate fins helped
immeasurably. A 10hp outboard makes the whole process easy, unless you and
your wife are midgets.

Max

DSK

Maxprop wrote:
..My wife and I could plane our 10' Zodiac with a Merc 6hp, but it
took a lot of forward leaning, and a set of cavitation plate fins helped
immeasurably. A 10hp outboard makes the whole process easy, unless you and
your wife are midgets.

Why do you need a motor? My wife & I have planed in several different
boats under sail power alone.

DSK

Donal

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

One of the more annoying losses when Alien was robbed was the loss of my
Quicksilver Dinghy and 5hp Tohatsu outboard. The upside is that I've

covered
completely and I can have all new stuff....not that the stolen stuff was

old. I
will be getting one of the new 4cycle outboards, but I'm wondering what to

do
about the dinghy this time around.

Question: Will a smaller Dinghy plane like the 9'10 Quicksilver did with

the
same HP. I may actually go to a 6HP. Any chance that a 6HP will be enough

plane with 2 people aboard? I'll also be looking into the Porta-boats. How

well
will they plane with two people and 6HP?

Why would a real sailor want his dinghy to plane?

A dinghy needs to be easy to store, and inflate.

An engine needs to be reliable, as light as possible, and capable of driving
the dinghy against the strongest currents that you are likely to encounter.

I suspect that, even with both Suzanne and you aboard, a 2hp will do fine.

Regards

Donal

felton

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 23:32:40 +0100, "Donal"
wrote:

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

[...]

I agree with the "lighter is better" school of thought. I used to
have an Avon with a 9.9hp Tohatsu. It would plane at half throttle
with me and a boat load of kids aboard. As fun as that might be on
occasion, dragging that outboard around was a PITA and I regretted my
choice every day I owned it, although the Tohatsu was a reliable
motor. The smaller the better.

I have no experience with the Porta Boat, so I abstain from that vote.
Capt. Mooron

"Donal" wrote in message

| Why would a real sailor want his dinghy to plane?

Speed compensates for carrying ability

| A dinghy needs to be easy to store, and inflate.

RIBs are both

| An engine needs to be reliable, as light as possible, and capable of
driving
| the dinghy against the strongest currents that you are likely to
encounter.

Then an RIB 7.5 Zodiac with a 15hp Mercury will meet those requirements

| I suspect that, even with both Suzanne and you aboard, a 2hp will do fine.

Nope Donal it won't.... think for a minute about the stress that engine
would be under!

CM

Bobsprit

| Why would a real sailor want his dinghy to plane?.

Because it's fun. Because we used the dinghy to explore and get places our six
foot draft wouldn't let us...and it's nice to get there sooner. Because I can
easily lift a 55 lb motor with three fingers even if you can't. And...because I
already own a 3.5 Nissan, which is in my closet usually unused.

RB
Bobsprit

That will push it just fine. Another nice thing about the Portabote is you can
drag it across rocks and broken glass as often as you please without damage.

Bill...I'm looking at the 12 foot version. I'd like the extra capacity. What
kind of speed do you think I'll get with two adults using a 6HP?

RB