Michael

Default Really! It's a sailing related question?

Won't keep you long from the main thrust of .asa but I'm compelled to ask
advice on a sailing question? REALLY? Imagine that!

I've done a ton of research and come up with several 'candidate' props for
the boat. They are all of the self-feathering variety. Max-Prop,
Auto-Prop, J-Prop, Luke and a couple more. Threw out the folding kind and
the adjustable pitch kind is way to spendy. So .....after having read all
the literature, advertising, propaganda etc. it gets down to comments by
people who actually have them on their boats, the real prop users.

What I'm looking for is your comments on how well, or how poorly your
particular brand performed and if you like it what size boat etc. Either
as the owner, the operator or maybe you know someone whose brain you can
pick! I can afford it, but the cost is high enough I don't want to throw
darts or flip coins. I won't give you any parameters on intended use sothat
way I get good unbiased data. However my boat is 25' LWL, 31' LOD, 9.5' beam
and approx. 6 ton plus range. Twin keels naturally of course and a 30HP
Diesel Inboard auxilary. There is room to retrofit a reduction gear on the
shaft.

Thanks,

Michael

(sotto volce) and now ...... back to asa.duh-litics!

Michael

Has to do with long distance off shore applications. Not necessary for near
coastal probably. If you save only 1/2 knot per hour from drag that's 12 a
day times a 22 to 24 day transit to Hawaii or a 30 day transit US to Europe
you gain a lot. PRobable savings is closer to 1 knot per hour however.
Figure that over a number of years and there's a huge difference. Factor in
the cost over that time period .. . .negligible. But for short hops say
coasting down to Mexico which is like going down the block to the store then
your right it isn't worth it. This type versus full folding? They have
crappy reverse capability for starters .. and for finishers. The fully
adjustable type .. ..not THAT is beyond the budget. This type is also good
for canaling etc. because it obviously had superior prop/engine application
to the folding type. So it's a compromise of the three types but a good
move over the fixed blade type.

THe only real problem is picking which one.

M.

"DSK" wrote in message
Michael wrote:
Won't keep you long from the main thrust of .asa but I'm compelled to

ask
advice on a sailing question? REALLY? Imagine that!

How are "propellors" related to sailing?!?!

I've done a ton of research and come up with several 'candidate' props

for
the boat. They are all of the self-feathering variety. Max-Prop,
Auto-Prop, J-Prop, Luke and a couple more. Threw out the folding kind

and
the adjustable pitch kind is way to spendy.

Well, if you get a cheap one that doesn't work as well, what have you
gained? If you want to save money, have a solid prop. Works great.

The least troublesome AFAIK low-drag folder is the Mar-tec. I've got a
few friends with them on their racer-cruisers, and they have little or
no trouble to report.

For a cruising boat, I like the Luke 3-blade self-feathering prop. It's
a well engineered and well built unit. Only seen it in use on one boat,
but it has been trouble free. It's pretty expensive though.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Michael

Thanks Tom, Joe, Doug and John. I've posted this elsewhere and despite the
rude reputation of .asa got the best responses right here. My experience,
in reverse,with the folders led me to discount them even though they have
the least drag. The issue of bladeshape is of course what led me to askthe
question in the first place. I thought about lining up the three blades
withone straightup using an index line but that meansgetting
underthecockpitsole each time. Alsothought aboutthe lack of protection as
the rudder isbehind,the skeg is small and the keels are toeither side.
AsThom said Martec enjoys a good reputation along with Luke with the others
closebehind. Hereinliesthe problem. No one has said much negative about
their feathering props. That's six different choices with no real
detractors. Could it be in this particular niche all the manufacturers
havedone a superior job? The Luke says they have abit more dragbut
arebetter when the prop blades deploy. One company is total stainless steel
which does away with electroalysis as the shaft on the boat is stainless
aswell. One company does four blade props, the others two or three. I'm
beginningtothinkany of them will do well it may be a question almost solely
of price. Well it's not time to do it yet. That's next spring so I'll keep
at it. Oh and as for losing the blades that happened to one of my sailing
buds with his Saab variable pitch prop. Hedoesn't evenwantto ask theprice
of a new one. I wonderr if a little loctite would have helped.

Any more info keep it coming . .....and thanks!

Michael

"John Cairns" wrote in message
You never said why you dismissed a folder. The most efficient props under
sail are folders, period. If you must have a 3-blade Gori makes a nice 3
blade folder, I have a 2-blade and it is a thing of beauty, just about

zero
prop walk in reverse, in fact it still takes a little getting used to as I
spent the first 3 seasons with this boat learning how to back it out
compensating for the prop walk.
John Cairns

"Michael" wrote in message
[...]

Marc

I run a 17" 3 blade maxprop, adjusted to 11" pitch. My boat is a fin
keel, spade rudder, 31' LWL, 16000 lb. disp. cat sloop. Yanmar 30gmf
w/ 2.62 reduction gear. It came with the boat, but I would buy one in
a heart beat. Cruise at 6 kn @ 2850RPM.check with PYI for specs on
your boat.

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:06:22 -0500, "Michael"
wrote:

[...]

Thom Stewart

OK Mich,

I'll talk to you about props. I have both, a folding Martec with
streamlined tips and a fixed Standard Martec. Both 13x13. Both are
2-bladed.

The folding prop is the better prop. Less drag sailing (But not as much
as you would think when the fixed is lined up with the keel;-less than
1/2 knt) More speed under power, same stopping distance from both high
speed and medium speed.
Backing; Lousy. Doesn't even compare to the fixed. I can back away from
my slip at low RPM like I back my car out of the garage. There really is
no low RPM backing with the Folder, Which causes stern walk.

This isn't a small item. After racing season I change props. I use the
Standard for "Knocking About" This means I have to aligned my shaft. A
PITA when single handing. I aligned the folding prop also but it isn't
as critical.

I can't tell which one I like the best. I don't know. After 10 years I
still don't know. Since I believe in having a spare prop, the two I have
work out just fine.

By the way, I have nothing but praise for the Martec Company. They has
always exceeded my expectation.

Ole Thom