Michael

Default Another question for the truly nautical . . .

What requirement must be met and where must it take place, to be the exact
same day everywhere on earth?

M.

Michael

True but at what time and where do you straddle the dial?

"Joe" wrote in message
m...
"Michael" wrote in message

What requirement must be met and where must it take place, to be the

exact
same day everywhere on earth?

M.

you must straddle the idl at the right time.

Joe

Wally

Michael wrote:
What requirement must be met and where must it take place, to be the
exact same day everywhere on earth?

I'll guess at: Change from BST to GMT in London (UK time zone).

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Michael

Almost Exactamente! 'the time has to be 1200 Z for it too work. For those
of you who don't know navigation when it's exactly noon at Greenwich for
that infinitesimal time period it's the same date everywhere in the world.

Next question. Name the three major 'crossing the line' ceremonies.

I only thought of that because I finally got promoted from Royal Baby (too
thin now) and Royal Barber to the role of Neptunas Rex. Turns out my 1969
crossing card was the oldest one on the ship. Course it turned out I was
the oldest one on the ship ..........Damn ...next thing you know I'll be
needing Viag ....oh never mind..... Back to the ceremonies. US Navy
doesn't do them anymore, at least openly. We merchant mariners being made
of stouter stuff, except for those in MSC of course, do not quail, quibble,
or quiver. And if you think following the route of the candidate Pollywogs
is hard on a cutter think of our 964' foot long multiple deck ship!
Everyone with inside clothes worn outside and everything inside out
including the 2nd Engineer Darla. No panic prone marina bar bunnies and
deck fluff here thats' for sure. One of the true ladys of the sea asked me
once did I mind working for a woman? "Not as long as they are competent"
was my reply. That aside the ceremony happened on the way to Diego G.
Including bo's'ns chairs over the side so the pollywogs could repaint the
yellow line encircling the equator disturbed by our passage. Damn hard to
hold on and some were 'dunked' quite accidently I'm sure. Now why did I
mention the distaff side? One AB, one ordinary seawoman, one wiper, one
3rd Mate and one engineer all women? Will the next ceremony feature Queen
Neptuna? The times aren't changing ...they already did. At least for
blue water folk.

And for those of you amongst us. Name the three major 'crossing the line'
ceremonies.

M.

"Joe" wrote in message
om...
"Michael" wrote in message

True but at what time and where do you straddle the dial?

00:00 @ 00.0N 00.0W

"Joe" wrote in message
m...
"Michael" wrote in message

What requirement must be met and where must it take place, to be the

exact
same day everywhere on earth?

M.

you must straddle the idl at the right time.

Joe

Michael

I'm tempted to say one. But I fear there's a trick to this. Is it one day
of six months and one night of six months or between the two light and dark
periods might there be a few ...'days' of sunrise/sunset?

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
Better Question Michael.... how many sunsets are there at the North Pole

in
one year?

CM

"Michael" wrote in message
| Almost Exactamente! 'the time has to be 1200 Z for it too work. For

those
| of you who don't know navigation when it's exactly noon at Greenwich for
| that infinitesimal time period it's the same date everywhere in the

world.

| Next question. Name the three major 'crossing the line' ceremonies.

Getting your face slapped when you cross the line with your new

girlfriend!

Michael

Apparently but they may be subrosa. Went out with the anti-hazing rules.
MSC ships didn't because they had active duty Navy on board. We're union
and don't pay much attention to that silliness so we hadaceremony anyway.

Shellback (Equator) Golden Dragon (Date Line) and Blue Nose (Arctic or
Antarctic circles) Combinations such as Golden Shellback are for crossing
the equator and the dateline at the same time. Most of the Blue Nose people
are submariners transiting under the icecap.

Great photos!!!!!!!!

M.

"Joe" wrote in message
om...
"Michael" wrote in message

Almost Exactamente! 'the time has to be 1200 Z for it too work. For

those
of you who don't know navigation when it's exactly noon at Greenwich for
that infinitesimal time period it's the same date everywhere in the

world.

Next question. Name the three major 'crossing the line' ceremonies.

Shell back, Golden Shellback and...........I forgot. Whats the other?

You can go to http://www.usssamuelgompers.org and go to the photo
section and see some great shellback photos. Are you saying the navy
does not do shellback ceremonies anymore?

Joe

Capt. Mooron

"Michael" wrote in message
| Almost Exactamente! 'the time has to be 1200 Z for it too work. For those
| of you who don't know navigation when it's exactly noon at Greenwich for
| that infinitesimal time period it's the same date everywhere in the world.
|
| Next question. Name the three major 'crossing the line' ceremonies.

Getting your face slapped when you cross the line with your new girlfriend!

Capt. Mooron

Correct.... I was under the impression it was a few days of sunset and
sunrise.... but there is only one complete sunrise and one complete sunset
per year..... I lost a bet on that one..... care to guess the dates? ;-)

CM

"Michael" wrote in message
| I'm tempted to say one. But I fear there's a trick to this. Is it one
day
| of six months and one night of six months or between the two light and
dark
| periods might there be a few ...'days' of sunrise/sunset?
|

| "Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
| Better Question Michael.... how many sunsets are there at the North Pole
| in
| one year?
|
| CM
|
| "Michael" wrote in message
| | Almost Exactamente! 'the time has to be 1200 Z for it too work. For
| those
| | of you who don't know navigation when it's exactly noon at Greenwich
for
| | that infinitesimal time period it's the same date everywhere in the
| world.
| |