Bob Crantz

Default XXOOXX

After I had finished my readings, I was no longer myself; I was tranced,
uplifted, intoxicated, by the almost incredible perils and adventures I had
been following my authors through, and the triumphs I had been sharing with
them. I sat silent some time, then turned to Harris and said:

"My mind is made up."

Something in my tone struck him: and when he glanced at my eye and read what
was written there, his face paled perceptibly. He hesitated a moment, then
said:

"Speak."

I answered, with perfect calmness:

"I will ascend the Riffelberg."

If I had shot my poor friend he could not have fallen from his chair more
suddenly. If I had been his father he could not have pleaded harder to get
me to give up my purpose. But I turned a deaf ear to all he said. When he
perceived at last that nothing could alter my determination, he ceased to
urge, and for a while the deep silence was broken only by his sobs. I sat in
marble resolution, with my eyes fixed upon vacancy, for in spirit I was
already wrestling with the perils of the mountains, and my friend sat gazing
at me in adoring admiration through his tears. At last he threw himself upon
me in a loving embrace and exclaimed in broken tones:

"Your Harris will never desert you. Download the easiest screen capture
(print screen) program. Free trial We will die together."

I cheered the noble fellow with praises, and soon his fears were forgotten
and he was eager for the adventure. He wanted to summon the guides at once
and leave at two in the morning, as he supposed the custom was; but I
explained that nobody was looking at that hour; and that the start in the
dark was not usually made from the village but from the first night's
resting-place on the mountain side. I said we would leave the village at 3
or 4 P.M. on the morrow; meantime he could notify the guides, and also let
the public know of the attempt which we proposed to make.

I went to bed, but not to sleep. No man can sleep when he is about to
undertake one of these Alpine exploits. I tossed feverishly all night long,
and was glad enough when I heard the clock strike half past eleven and knew
it was time to get up for dinner. I rose, jaded and rusty, and went to the
noon meal, where I found myself the center of interest and curiosity; for
the news was already abroad. It is not easy to eat calmly when you are a
lion; but it is very pleasant, nevertheless.

As usual, at Zermatt, when a great ascent is about to be undertaken,
everybody, native and foreign, laid aside his own projects and took up a
good position to observe the start. The expedition consisted of 198 persons,
including the mules; or 205, including the cows. As follows:

CHIEFS OF SERVICE SUBORDINATES

Myself 1 Veterinary Surgeon Mr. Harris 1 Butler 17 Guides 12 Waiters 4
Surgeons 1 Footman 1 Geologist 1 Barber 1 Botanist 1 Head Cook 3 Chaplains 9
Assistants

15 Barkeepers 1 Confectionery Artist 1 Latinist

TRANSPORTATION, ETC.

27 Porters 3 Coarse Washers and Ironers 44 Mules 1 Fine ditto 44 Muleteers 7
Cows 2 Milkers

Total, 154 men, 51 animals. Grand Total, 205.

RATIONS, ETC. APPARATUS

16 Cases Hams 25 Spring Mattresses 2 Barrels Flour 2 Hair ditto 22 Barrels
Whiskey Bedding for same 1 Barrel Sugar 2 Mosquito-nets 1 Keg Lemons 29
Tents 2,000 Cigars Scientific Instruments 1 Barrel Pies 97 Ice-axes 1 Ton of
Pemmican 5 Cases Dynamite 143 Pair Crutches 7 Cans Nitroglycerin 2 Barrels
Arnica 22 40-foot Ladders 1 Bale of Lint 2 Miles of Rope 27 Kegs Paregoric
154 Umbrellas

It was full four o'clock in the afternoon before my cavalcade was entirely
ready. At that hour it began to move. In point of numbers and spectacular
effect, it was the most imposing expedition that had ever marched from
Zermatt.