BoatBanter.com

-   -   Boat Speed (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/20304-boat-speed.html)

Michael July 9th 04 12:05 PM

Boat Speed

This one gets interesting as it depends on which nautical mile you are
using. The traditional standard is 6080 feet. The non-metric Navy's of the
world use a standard of 6,000 feet or 2,000 yards. 6,000 feet divides into
shots, fathoms, and leagues equally as well. Then there is the metric
version. 39.54" to the yard of three standard feet. The original
measurement was derived by dividing the world circumference at the equator
(or any great circle) into timezones (24) and degrees (360 total and 15 per
time zone) with each degree equalling a certain distance easily measured on
land. Not bad for the days before satellites and with sail the difference
was negligible. Now of course we know the earth is slightly pear shaped but
even with our 25 to 30 knot ships we still use 6,000 feet to one nm as our
standard.

Three ancillary questions.

At the equator, or on any great circle how many statue miles, how many
nautical miles and how many kilometers equal one degree?

Which of those standards is used on most speedos?

Which of those standards is used on GPS systems?

And just to make it a real high point question (ask Bart how many) are we
talking SOG or SOW?

The above should keep the techno types busy for a while, whilst Katy and I
observe yet another gorgeous sunset . .. . separately of course.

M.

"Bart Senior" wrote in message
. ..
1point each

How many feet/second is a boat moving at 6 knots?

How many meters/second is a boat moving at 10 knots?

Michael July 9th 04 05:16 PM

Boat Speed

"Wally" wrote in message
Michael wrote:

Now of course we know the earth is slightly pear shaped ...

It isn't pear-shaped, it's an oblate spheroid.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Sounds likea goodname foraboat. Or a rock band. Or the ex . . . .

LOL
M.

Michael July 9th 04 07:47 PM

Boat Speed

orthe ex-waistline I used to have. LOL

M.

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message

"Michael" wrote in message

| "Wally" wrote in message
| It isn't pear-shaped, it's an oblate spheroid.

| Sounds likea goodname foraboat. Or a rock band. Or the ex . . . .

BITTER? ;-)

CM

Michael July 9th 04 08:54 PM

Boat Speed

would you believe from 305 to 200. Qualifies as triple X. Side comment.
Whateverthe reason for going from 190 to 300+ the way backdownis long
hard arduous but well worth it. The first and most important thing is
to quit 'trying' andjust 'do it.' Can't live in a fairy tale world for
example sucking down CoorsLights andpretending it's not the sameas full
brew. Fat is fat. Then it'sa matter of adjusting the life style. Stay
away from bad influences. Cut down on carbs beyond those needed forthe
work at hand. When I'm chipping rust orwhatever10-12 hours a day I have
some cereal in the morning and smallamounts of rice,whatever. When I'm
sitting on gangway security for 12-16 hours I use zero starch. Cutout
the grill line at breakfast, cut out the fatty stuff. Pretty soon it
starts ratchetingdownwards. Ialsostay off the scales. Don't much care as
long as the pants get to big, the belt notches likewise. Still about 20 to
go but lifeis much sweeter. It won't ever be thesame as age20 but it's
a better way to reach age 80!

M.

"Scout" wrote in message
triple ex?
Scout

"Michael" wrote in message

| "Wally" wrote in message
| It isn't pear-shaped, it's an oblate spheroid.

| Sounds likea goodname foraboat. Or a rock band. Or the ex . . .

..

BITTER? ;-)

CM

Michael July 9th 04 09:06 PM

Boat Speed

"Pat Norton" wrote in message
. ..
Michael wrote
The non-metric Navy's of the world use a standard
of 6,000 feet or 2,000 yards.

The US Navy uses the international nautical mile of 1852 m.

Probably depends on which Navy. Atlantic Navy is not the same as Pacific
Navy and each branch is God in their own bailiwick. On the Navy ships's
contracted to union crews we use 11.25 degrees per point and 2000
yards per nm.

The US military in general uses the metric system, and has done so for many
years, far more than the civilian counterparts. As with most cutting edge
changes (anti smoking, anti drinking, anti racism come to mind) the
military is far ahead of their employers. The Navy is the sole remaining
exception each geographicly separate command doing 'their own thing ' ad
nauseum.

The ultimate in this parochial silliness is Military Sealift Command (Moe,
Shep, and Curly because Larry is too brainy to stoop that low). In truth
the many right hands havenot a clue what the many left hands are doing.

M.

Michael July 9th 04 11:51 PM

Boat Speed

It's easy to get sucked into a bad lifestyle. Easier than I would have
thought. Didn't smoke for 20 years, nor drink for that matter. Remember
Paul Martin? He warned me once aboutthe seductive S. Cal lifestyle. How
right he was. But that aside and all the plastic make excuses lifestyle of
that place aside I managed to go back the other way. Best thing that ever
happened to me. My mistake. My pain (and the hours on deck chipping rust
are definitely a pain!). My problem to deal with. But it was dealt with.
Most of that era has disappeared and all that's left is the unenviable but
diminishing front porch and that goes next. I found out at this age it's
hard to reverse things but not impossible, just takes longer. From what I
hear it's a zero sum gain for humanity. The more I lost, the more it went
elsewhere. Couldn't have worked out better! What Mooron writes below is a
harder lifestyle but a far better one. We'd all do well to follow his
example.

M.

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
The hell you say.... I'm as good or better than when I was 20.... food is
like oats to a horse... eat what you need and work hard. I never worry

about
what I eat.... I go with what my body wants... If that's a triple
cheeseburger with extra mayo... so be it. I also don't eat more than once

day.... usually! One big meal... sometimes I forget to eat for a day or
two... no big deal.
5'10" and 165lbs. I've got muscular defininition and hoist my weight

easily
up rope or cliff.

20 lbs??? overweight??.... I'd be sufferin' blackouts just bending over

tie my shoes!

No diet ever.... never watch what I eat.... eat what I want when I

want....
I just work hard almost every day!

Problem lies with the take out 3 meals a day crowd.... not healthy to eat
that much!

CM

"Michael" wrote in message
| would you believe from 305 to 200. Qualifies as triple X. Side

comment.
| Whateverthe reason for going from 190 to 300+ the way backdownis long
| hard arduous but well worth it. The first and most important thing

is
| to quit 'trying' andjust 'do it.' Can't live in a fairy tale world for
| example sucking down CoorsLights andpretending it's not the sameas full
| brew. Fat is fat. Then it'sa matter of adjusting the life style.

Stay
| away from bad influences. Cut down on carbs beyond those needed

forthe
| work at hand. When I'm chipping rust orwhatever10-12 hours a day I

have
| some cereal in the morning and smallamounts of rice,whatever. When
I'm
| sitting on gangway security for 12-16 hours I use zero starch. Cutout
| the grill line at breakfast, cut out the fatty stuff. Pretty soon it
| starts ratchetingdownwards. Ialsostay off the scales. Don't much

care
as
| long as the pants get to big, the belt notches likewise. Still about

20
| go but lifeis much sweeter. It won't ever be thesame as age20 but
it's
| a better way to reach age 80!
|
| M.
|

| "Scout" wrote in message
| triple ex?
| Scout
|
| "Michael" wrote in message
| orthe ex-waistline I used to have. LOL
|
| M.
|

| "Capt. Mooron" wrote in message

| |

.

Bart Senior July 10th 04 08:29 AM

Boat Speed

Wally July 10th 04 09:43 AM

Boat Speed

Bart Senior wrote:

How many feet/second is a boat moving at 6 knots?

About 9. (1.5 feet/sec per knot.)

How many meters/second is a boat moving at 10 knots?

5. (0.5m/sec per knot.)

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

SAIL LOCO July 10th 04 02:55 PM

Boat Speed

Is the boat north or south of the Equator?
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"No shirt, no skirt, full service"