BoatBanter.com

-   -   Boat Speed (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/20304-boat-speed.html)

Capt. Mooron July 10th 04 07:28 PM

Boat Speed

"Michael" wrote in message

| "Wally" wrote in message
| It isn't pear-shaped, it's an oblate spheroid.

| Sounds likea goodname foraboat. Or a rock band. Or the ex . . . .

BITTER? ;-)

CM

Pat Norton July 10th 04 07:56 PM

Boat Speed

Michael wrote
The non-metric Navy's of the world use a standard
of 6,000 feet or 2,000 yards.

The US Navy uses the international nautical mile of 1852 m.

www.dtic.mil/doctrine/jel/new_pubs/jp1_02.pdf

http://geodesy.noaa.gov/PUBS_LIB/Fed...doc59-5442.pdf

Scout July 10th 04 08:17 PM

Boat Speed

triple ex?
Scout

"Michael" wrote in message
orthe ex-waistline I used to have. LOL

M.

Capt. Mooron July 10th 04 10:23 PM

Boat Speed

The hell you say.... I'm as good or better than when I was 20.... food is
like oats to a horse... eat what you need and work hard. I never worry about
what I eat.... I go with what my body wants... If that's a triple
cheeseburger with extra mayo... so be it. I also don't eat more than once a
day.... usually! One big meal... sometimes I forget to eat for a day or
two... no big deal.
5'10" and 165lbs. I've got muscular defininition and hoist my weight easily
up rope or cliff.

20 lbs??? overweight??.... I'd be sufferin' blackouts just bending over to
tie my shoes!

No diet ever.... never watch what I eat.... eat what I want when I want....
I just work hard almost every day!

Problem lies with the take out 3 meals a day crowd.... not healthy to eat
that much!

CM

"Michael" wrote in message
| would you believe from 305 to 200. Qualifies as triple X. Side comment.
| Whateverthe reason for going from 190 to 300+ the way backdownis long
| hard arduous but well worth it. The first and most important thing is
| to quit 'trying' andjust 'do it.' Can't live in a fairy tale world for
| example sucking down CoorsLights andpretending it's not the sameas full
| brew. Fat is fat. Then it'sa matter of adjusting the life style. Stay
| away from bad influences. Cut down on carbs beyond those needed forthe
| work at hand. When I'm chipping rust orwhatever10-12 hours a day I have
| some cereal in the morning and smallamounts of rice,whatever. When
I'm
| sitting on gangway security for 12-16 hours I use zero starch. Cutout
| the grill line at breakfast, cut out the fatty stuff. Pretty soon it
| starts ratchetingdownwards. Ialsostay off the scales. Don't much care
as
| long as the pants get to big, the belt notches likewise. Still about 20
| go but lifeis much sweeter. It won't ever be thesame as age20 but
it's
| a better way to reach age 80!
|
| M.
|

| "Scout" wrote in message
| triple ex?
| Scout
|
| "Michael" wrote in message
| orthe ex-waistline I used to have. LOL
|
| M.
|

| "Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
|
| "Michael" wrote in message
| |
| | "Wally" wrote in message
| | It isn't pear-shaped, it's an oblate spheroid.
|

| | Sounds likea goodname foraboat. Or a rock band. Or the ex . .
..

N1EE July 13th 04 05:00 PM

Boat Speed

"Wally" wrote

Bart Senior wrote:

How many feet/second is a boat moving at 6 knots?

About 9. (1.5 feet/sec per knot.)

The correct answer is 10.

How many meters/second is a boat moving at 10 knots?

5. (0.5m/sec per knot.)

This is correct.

Jim Cate July 16th 04 02:11 AM

Boat Speed

Wally wrote:
Bart Senior wrote:

How many feet/second is a boat moving at 6 knots?

About 9. (1.5 feet/sec per knot.)

How many meters/second is a boat moving at 10 knots?

5. (0.5m/sec per knot.)

So, if I'm sailing 18 feet/second, I'm doing 12 knots?

Jim

Wally July 16th 04 02:30 AM

Boat Speed

Jim Cate wrote:

How many feet/second is a boat moving at 6 knots?

About 9. (1.5 feet/sec per knot.)

So, if I'm sailing 18 feet/second, I'm doing 12 knots?

Well, given the correction that 6 knots is nearer to 10 feet/sec, if you
were doing 20 feet/sec, then that would we 12 knots.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Jonathan Ganz July 16th 04 06:03 AM

Boat Speed

He would never be sailing at that speed. Perhaps motoring, never sailing.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Bart Senior July 16th 04 08:14 AM

Boat Speed

No. 10 ft/s is 6 knots.

You would be moving at 20 ft/s at 12 knots.

Jim Cate wrote

Jonathan Ganz July 16th 04 06:14 PM

Boat Speed

Still too fast for Jimbo sailing.