Michael

Default Another KatyQuestion

Define the term 'spile.' Hint: This is easy for Katy as it's used
extensively in her home area.

M.

Michael

I dunno....the second one could be nautical. Especially if the ice chest
doesn't getrefilled. The first one . . .wood is used inboat
building....... hmmmmmm....good try but try again. The spile I'm looking
for is 'on' the Great Lakes related. Ask a fresh water sailor.

katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

---

Michael

Another good answer .. . not the one I'm looking for though.

"Flying Tadpole" wrote in message

Michael wrote:

Define the term 'spile.' Hint: This is easy for Katy as it's used
extensively in her home area.

M.

Offset marking-up. (I need a new spiling board)
--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Break Away, Sail Away and putz away
now at http://music.download.com/internetopera

katysails

I know that one...it's what you cork up the maple tree with when you're done
tapping....or....it's what happens when you leave the milk out on the
counter on a hot day....

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

---

katysails

The spile I'm looking
for is 'on' the Great Lakes related.

Michael...it's any type of bung, whether it gets crammed into a hole in a
tree, a keg, or a boat....good frief...how literal does a person ahve to be.

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

---

Michael

Great Lakes sailors use the term 'spile' in place ofthe blue water sailor's
"bitt." Spile that wire for example means to makefast a wire mooring
line. Coupled with your contribution I'm wondering if the term came
from Europe via one of those languages and ended up being used in several
areas of endevour.

M.