Scott Vernon

Default Please help settle an argument

OzOne wrote in

In that case then my original statement stands.
It is possible with used sails to turn a boat aft to wind.

but not with new ones?

Scott Vernon

"Donal" wrote

No,.... not if the tide was strong enough. A good sailor could balance

the
forces.

but a *REAL* sailor would undo the mooring line and go sailing. What is all
this nonsense about sailing while tied to a mooring?

Scotty

Scott Vernon

"Blorgad" wrote in message
Hi.

I'm nobody's sockpuppet. I'm just new to this and trying to learn as much
as I can, apply as much of what I already know to it, and hopefully not
fight too much with my friend who owns the boat, since we are planning on
doing a lot of sailing.

while tied to a mooring?

Sounds like blob**** sailing to me.

Scott Vernon

I've only 'rented' a mooring once, in Annapolis, there was a huge harness
attached to the ball. made it easy, just pick up the harness and attach to
bow. When I 'borrowed' someones in late fall I picked the ball up to the
deck and looped a spare dock line through.

--
Scotty
S/V Lisa Marie

"katysails" wrote in message

I don't know about the balls where you live, but here, there's a ring
attached to the top of the ball, where you tie off.

Don't you get all twisted? We have a mooring harness with a swivel

shackle
mounted on the can...and we carry an extra mooring harness with us when we
cruise....idea is to get in the dinghy when you're there and attach the
harness, then pass the lines up to the bow....
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

---

Horvath

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 09:16:37 +1200, Nav wrote
this crap:

My deck is too high for anyone to grab a mooring ball.

Clean it up then!

Huh? Clean what up?

The deck!

How would that change the height of the deck?

Horvath

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 21:19:48 -0400, "katysails"
wrote this crap:

I don't know about the balls where you live, but here, there's a ring
attached to the top of the ball, where you tie off.

Don't you get all twisted?

Why? A bowline tied to a ring doesn't get twisted.

We have a mooring harness with a swivel shackle
mounted on the can...and we carry an extra mooring harness with us when we
cruise....idea is to get in the dinghy when you're there and attach the
harness, then pass the lines up to the bow....

I usually get a dock.

Jonathan Ganz

wrote this crap:

I don't know about the balls where you live, but here, there's a ring
attached to the top of the ball, where you tie off.

Don't you get all twisted?

Why? A bowline tied to a nipple ring doesn't get twisted.

We have a mooring harness with a swivel shackle
mounted on the can...and we carry an extra mooring harness with us when

we
cruise....idea is to get in the dinghy when you're there and attach the
harness, then pass the lines up to the bow....

I usually get a dick.

Nav

Horvath wrote:

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 09:16:37 +1200, Nav wrote
this crap:

My deck is too high for anyone to grab a mooring ball.

Clean it up then!

Huh? Clean what up?

The deck!

How would that change the height of the deck?

It would make it smell better.

Cheers

Donal

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message

"Donal" wrote

No,.... not if the tide was strong enough. A good sailor could balance

the
forces.

but a *REAL* sailor would undo the mooring line and go sailing.

I disagree.

I think that a real sailor will have the decency to give a polite answer to
a polite question.

I am surprised that you feel the need to step into Bob's shoes.

What is all
this nonsense about sailing while tied to a mooring?

It was a theoretical question. What's wrong with that?

Regards

Donal
--

Scotty