Nav

Default Please help settle an argument

Horvath wrote:

I have found that it's easier to grab a boy by backing up to
him, with someone standing on the swim platform.

Blorgad

Please read the letter again. The question is not how do we fly a spinnaker
while moored, but rather is it at all possible for a bow-moored boat to be
be turned around by a spinnaker, or any other combination of sails for that
matter, so that the aft end travels upwind?

"Nav" wrote in message
What not transfer your anchor warp to the stern?

Cheers

Blorgad wrote:

My friend and I are having a disagreement regarding the behaviour of
sailboats on a mooring. We both have limited sailing experience,

although he
has a fair amount more than I. We were discussing running up a

spinnaker at
mooring in calm air, just to practice putting it up. We eventually
concluded that this wasn't practical, but the argument came in as to our

our
different conclusions as to why it would not be. I felt that there

would be
no point to put it up, as it would just get blown into the rigging and

not
really tell us anything and possibly get torn. He was of the opinion

that
somehow the spinnaker could push the boat to one side, fill and turn

the
boat around. Initially he said it would go right upwind of the mooring,
then reduced his claim to say that it would turn around at the point

where
it was attached to the line at the bow.

I am of the opinion that this is physically impossible and that under no
combination of sail at a mooring could the boat turn around so that the

aft
was upwind. I am of the opinion that you could get the boat to swing to

one
side or the other a bit by backing the jib, but you could still never

turn
the boat around.

I would gratefully accept as many informed opinions as possible on this

from
a sailing or physics point of view.

Fair winds,
Miles

Blorgad

We are disagreeing about fundamental behaviour characteristics of sailboats.
It has extended beyond our discussion of how to deal with a spinnaker into a
situation where we disagree on what is within and without the realm of
possibility. So, as competitive men are wont to do, we are trying to settle
it. So, do you have an opinion, or you going to Zen master me into a
frenzy?

Blorgad wrote:

[...]

Nav

Think of a boat sailing on her mooring. Does not the aft end follow the
bow? As she sails across the wind -tied to the mooring -does she not
advance a little way up wind before stalling and tacking off again?

Does that help you think more clearly grasshopper?

Cheers

[...]

Capt. Mooron

Aw fer cripes sake... just tell him it can't be done.... and be done with
it!
It's like you are doin' a Feng Shui Shish Kabob with the poor guy here!

CM

"Nav" wrote in message
| Think of a boat sailing on her mooring. Does not the aft end follow the
| bow? As she sails across the wind -tied to the mooring -does she not
| advance a little way up wind before stalling and tacking off again?
|
| Does that help you think more clearly grasshopper?

katysails

Excuse me, but O find your whole question totally illogical. Why even
suppose that it could? There is no advantage to or purpose in doing what
you ask. And it oddly sounds like a Bobsprit question.

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

---

katysails

But why ask about such a foolish act grasshopper?

Cheers

Bobsprit puppet.....

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

---

Horvath

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 16:15:36 -0400, "katysails"
wrote this crap:

I have found that it's easier to grab a mooring ball by backing up to
it, with someone standing on the swim platform.

That's so dumb it begs a kick in the rear....it is not difficult to catch a
mooring ball from the bow or from amidhips....if you got some crew that knew
what they were doing you wouldn't have these problems....

My deck is too high for anyone to grab a mooring ball. You can grab
it with a dock pole, but you can't reach down far enough to tie a line
onto it.

Horvath

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 08:29:49 +1000, OzOne wrote this crap:

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 16:14:00 -0400, Horvath
scribbled thusly:

I have found that it's easier to grab a mooring ball by backing up to
it, with someone standing on the swim platform.

And what then?
Drag it up to the bow?
How do you manage to hold the boat against a decent breeze, especially
when it turns beam on to the breeze?

You're not very bright, are you? You tie a line to your bow cleat,
and bring the other end back to the swim platform. The preson on the
swim platform ties that end onto the mooring ball. Then he goes up to
the bow and pulls the boat in.