Bobsprit

Default Near Knockdown???

We brought the boat back in really nice winds and picked up some friends at
Bayside. Sailing out near the Throgsneck bridge we were really experiencing
some odd winds, rapid changes of direction and strong gusts. It was tough to
get a proper set and the chop was making things pretty sloppy. Eventually the
wind appeared to die down and we sailed behind Fort Totten for a while. The
winds had certainly died down and I shook out the reef and popped the genoa all
the way. Perfect as we sailed near Execution Rocks 60 minutes later and
then....SLAM!!!! A sudden gust of wind pushed Alien over further than ever
before. I was standing almost fully on the wall of the cockpit and everyone was
hanging on. The wind abated just as suddenly and we popped up. I looked to port
and a Catalina 34 or 36 had her mainsail split. A few other boats were getting
their wits about them after the shocking gust. I felt bad about the guy with
the dead mainsail, but it looked repairable.
Back at our slip I heard that a J24 was knocked down as well. It was really a
fun sail! Hope you all got out there.

RB
Wally

Bobsprit wrote:

... SLAM!!!! A sudden gust of wind pushed Alien over further than
ever before. I was standing almost fully on the wall of the cockpit
and everyone was hanging on. ...

Dearie, me, Bob - you're reduced to poaching brags from the newbie!

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Suzy Brody

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message ...
without pics, we don't believe a word.

I will send you some pictures that will knock your socks off, big boy.

Suzy
katysails

I will send you some pictures that will knock your socks off, big boy.

But what if he's not into gravid females?

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

---

Scott Vernon

"katysails" wrote in message
I will send you some pictures that will knock your socks off, big boy.

But what if he's not into gravid females?

hey now, just hold on there, I might be..... soon as I find out what they
are.

Scotty
"Women and cats will do as they please, so men should kick the
crap out of both until they behave." - Robert A. Heinlein

Bart Senior

The Catalina 36's are sleaker and very pretty, while the Catalina 34's
are more squared off and boxy looking.

It's easy to tell them apart. You will think to yourself, that's a pretty
boat and then find out it's a C-36.

http://www.catalina36.org/Brochure90_1.jpg

http://www.c34.org/images/windy.gif

Bobsprit wrote

hanging on. The wind abated just as suddenly and we popped up. I looked to

port
and a Catalina 34 or 36 had her mainsail split.

Captain Bly

Just imagine if this idiot acutally every sailed outside the bathtub like
waters of the Long Island Sound.
You'd thing maybe he try sailing to Block or at least the range of his shore
power cord.

[...]

Bobsprit

You'd thing maybe he try sailing to Block or at least the range of his shore
power cord.

Help!!! The non-sailing sockpuppet is being mean to me!!!!

RB
Bobspirt

You'd thing maybe he try sailing to Block or at least the range of his shore
power cord.

Help!!! The non-sailing sockpuppet is being mean to me!!!!

RB

So, at least he was funny. Probably the snap from the cord that heeled you
over and not the wind.