Bobsprit

Default IP Address

Anyone know why my IP address keeps changing from the boat, but stays fixed at
home? I'm using Verizon service with a an LG phone to log on via AOL Anywhere.

Thanks,

RB
Norm Taylor

I'm no computer expert, but I have heard that some internet systems assign a
different ip every time you log on.
Best explanation I can give you.

Norm

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Anyone know why my IP address keeps changing from the boat, but stays

fixed at
home? I'm using Verizon service with a an LG phone to log on via AOL

Anywhere.

Thanks,

RB

Wally

Bobsprit wrote:

Anyone know why my IP address keeps changing from the boat, but stays
fixed at home? I'm using Verizon service with a an LG phone to log on
via AOL Anywhere.

If you're using dial-up from the boat, there's every chance that you'll get
a different IP (dynamically-assigned from a pool of addresses) every time
you connect. If your home connection is broadband, it'll either be fixed, or
dynamically-assigned but unlikely to change if you have an always-on
connection.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Bobsprit

home? I'm using Verizon service with a an LG phone to log on via AOL Anywhere.

What's an LG phone?

It's a brand of tri-band phone. One of the best I've tried, especially better
than my Nokia and Motorola's, but not as good as the odd little Panasonic I had
for a year.

RB

Jonathan Ganz

Do you have a static IP at home? Typically, people don't unless they
need several that don't change. However, it's possible you do... sounds
like it anyway. The other connection is for sure DHCP (dynamic).

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Anyone know why my IP address keeps changing from the boat, but stays

fixed at
home? I'm using Verizon service with a an LG phone to log on via AOL

Anywhere.

Thanks,

RB

Bobsprit

I thought you were going to tell me it was a "light green" phone.
Since it's a cell phone, you will get an IP number assigned from a
pool. What do you use at home?

I have a cable and DSL line at home and I even use the verizon link at times.

RB