Bart Senior

Default WEAPONS OF CHOICE - Aussies try 'sword control'

WEAPONS OF CHOICE - Aussies try 'sword control'
Cops say new statute outlawing blades will cut down on street brawls

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38896

Gun control in Australia has given way to sword control as police
prepare to enforce a new law meant to curb modern-day swashbuckl-
ing. According to a report in the Melbourne Herald Sun, the new
statute slaps owners of swords who don't have a permit with up to
six months in jail and fines of up to $12,000.

Police Minister Andre Haermeyer told the paper the law will help
cops deal with youngsters who are arming themselves with swords.

"For most people running around the street carrying swords there
is absolutely no reason for them to be carrying those weapons,"
he is quoted as saying. Under the law, set to go into effect next
month, those owning swords now would have to surrender their
weapons to authorities, sell them to a licensed dealer or apply
for specific approval to possess them.

Sword collectors will have to keep the items under lock and key
and have a burglar alarm. According to the report, a 21-year-old
man had his hand severed by a samurai sword in a confrontation
between 40 men last winter, and a 19-year-old was hacked to death
in 2002 by a mob using swords.

The police minister stressed those owning swords for legitimate
reasons can apply for exemptions.

"Legitimate sword owners understand the importance of ensuring
that their swords do not fall into the wrong hands," he told the
Sun. "The vast majority of the community would say, 'Look, there's
no place for people just being able to go out there and buy these
things and carry them around the street.'"

The Victoria government is also looking at bans on some other
weapons, such as crossbows.

Flying Tadpole

Bart Senior wrote:

WEAPONS OF CHOICE - Aussies try 'sword control'
Cops say new statute outlawing blades will cut down on street brawls

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38896

Gun control in Australia has given way to sword control as police
prepare to enforce a new law meant to curb modern-day swashbuckl-
ing. According to a report in the Melbourne Herald Sun, the new
statute slaps owners of swords who don't have a permit with up to
six months in jail and fines of up to $12,000.

Awww ****! South Australia will follow, sure as eggs. I've still
got my steam foil, wy wife's steam foil, two electric foils and a
coupla spare blades. I wonder if they won't bother left handers?

--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Faint echoes, sometimes inaudible, of the newsgroup's glorious
past are downloadable at http://music.download.com/internetopera
Peter Wiley

In article , Flying Tadpole
wrote:

Bart Senior wrote:

WEAPONS OF CHOICE - Aussies try 'sword control'
Cops say new statute outlawing blades will cut down on street brawls

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38896

Gun control in Australia has given way to sword control as police
prepare to enforce a new law meant to curb modern-day swashbuckl-
ing. According to a report in the Melbourne Herald Sun, the new
statute slaps owners of swords who don't have a permit with up to
six months in jail and fines of up to $12,000.

Awww ****! South Australia will follow, sure as eggs. I've still
got my steam foil, wy wife's steam foil, two electric foils and a
coupla spare blades. I wonder if they won't bother left handers?

They will. I tried for an exemption to the ban on semiauto rifles afew
years ago on the ground of handicap; I'm left handed and nearly all
rifles are right hand actions. Unfortunately it got me nowhere and I
had to find another ruse.

No doubt the souvenier sword my sister brought back from Spain 20+
years ago will become another illegal weapon. Wonder when they're going
to ban the possession of angle grinders and car springs?

PDW
Joe

Peter Wiley

No doubt the souvenier sword my sister brought back from Spain 20+
years ago will become another illegal weapon.

yelp no more Toledo Swords for you's down under.

Wonder when they're going
to ban the possession of angle grinders and car springs?

Right after they ban rocks, sticks, and your right to protect yourself.

Joe

PDW

Peter Wiley

In article , Joe
wrote:

Peter Wiley

No doubt the souvenier sword my sister brought back from Spain 20+
years ago will become another illegal weapon.

yelp no more Toledo Swords for you's down under.

Wonder when they're going
to ban the possession of angle grinders and car springs?

Right after they ban rocks, sticks, and your right to protect yourself.

Fortunately I have a machine shop, a cement mixer and a boat.

PDW
Martin Baxter

Peter Wiley wrote:

Fortunately I have a machine shop, a cement mixer and a boat.

So you're all set if Jimmy Hoffa shows up! ;-o

Cheers
Marty

Flying Tadpole

Martin Baxter wrote:

Peter Wiley wrote:

Fortunately I have a machine shop, a cement mixer and a boat.

So you're all set if Jimmy Hoffa shows up! ;-o

Yeah. You can tell he's from Sydney, can't you! Notice the
cunning way he failed to mention his rolls of chicken wire,
too...
--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Faint echoes, sometimes inaudible, of the newsgroup's glorious
past are downloadable at http://music.download.com/internetopera
Peter Wiley

In article , Flying Tadpole
wrote:

Martin Baxter wrote:

Peter Wiley wrote:

Fortunately I have a machine shop, a cement mixer and a boat.

So you're all set if Jimmy Hoffa shows up! ;-o

Yeah. You can tell he's from Sydney, can't you! Notice the
cunning way he failed to mention his rolls of chicken wire,
too...

If you use enough concrete, you don't need the chicken wire.

Some years ago when we were putting in deep sea moorings (5000m of
water) we used to embed the top half of a Barbie doll in the concrete
block, up to her waist in the cement. Eventually, as always happens,
someone sans SOH complained and we had to desist.

My daughters always did wonder where their broken Barbie dolls went.....

PDW
Flying Tadpole

Peter Wiley wrote:

In article , Flying Tadpole
wrote:

Martin Baxter wrote:

Peter Wiley wrote:

Fortunately I have a machine shop, a cement mixer and a boat.

So you're all set if Jimmy Hoffa shows up! ;-o

Yeah. You can tell he's from Sydney, can't you! Notice the
cunning way he failed to mention his rolls of chicken wire,
too...

If you use enough concrete, you don't need the chicken wire.

Goodness me! And you claim to be a former Sydney resident? If
that's true, and you're not actually a Tasmanian local posing as
an immigrantto gain some extra gene poll status, then you would
surely know the chicken wire is not to reinforce the concrete, so
much as to also envelope the body and so stop the embarrassment
of body parts accidentally surfacing before the crabs prawns
small fish and eels have finished their job.

Some years ago when we were putting in deep sea moorings (5000m of
water) we used to embed the top half of a Barbie doll in the concrete
block, up to her waist in the cement. Eventually, as always happens,
someone sans SOH complained and we had to desist.

My daughters always did wonder where their broken Barbie dolls went.....

Now THAT"S sick...

--
Flying Tadpole