Dude

Default boat purchase on Ebay?

I once read that Ebay Motors has a policy that when a high bidder wins a
boat, he has the opportunity to do the survey and sea trial to determine if
the boat is as stated.I can't find that nugget on Ebay now and am really
keen on a sailboat there. Can anyone help?

Steve Daniels, Seek of Spam

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 23:51:51 GMT, something compelled "Dude"
, to say:

I once read that Ebay Motors has a policy that when a high bidder wins a
boat, he has the opportunity to do the survey and sea trial to determine if
the boat is as stated.I can't find that nugget on Ebay now and am really
keen on a sailboat there. Can anyone help?

I bought my boat on eBay, and sent the seller a 10% deposit. I
assumed the deposit would be non-refundable.

I carried the balance in cash in my back pocket when I met the
seller at the boat later that week, and we took her out. I
decided that the agreed upon price was well more than fair, and
handed over the cash.

Had I decided that the boat was a POS at any price, I could have
driven back home. What's he gonna do, say bad things about you
on eBay? Maybe, but there's a opportunity for rebuttal there as
well.

eBay can't enforce ****. They say it's a binding contract, but
that's pretty much a fantasy. Basically, there's an
advertisement for something to sell, and someone makes an offer,
but if either party backs out there's nothing eBay can do about
it.

Good bidding.
Scott Vernon

wrote
What's he gonna do,

keep your 10% deposit and relist the boat?

SV

Bobsprit

What's he gonna do,

keep your 10% deposit and relist the boat?

In Scotty Potti's case that would be 8 dollars lost.

RB
A. Diesel Vents

On 9 Jun 2004 17:38:27 GMT, "Scott Vernon" wrote:

wrote
What's he gonna do,

keep your 10% deposit and relist the boat?

Yes, exactly. In this case, I would have been out $160.00, which
would have paid his listing fees and his time and trouble to take me
out for the test sail. I'm pretty sure I said I never expected to see
my deposit back in either case.

felton

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 11:21:22 -0700, A. Diesel Vents
wrote:

On 9 Jun 2004 17:38:27 GMT, "Scott Vernon" wrote:

wrote
What's he gonna do,

keep your 10% deposit and relist the boat?

Yes, exactly. In this case, I would have been out $160.00, which
would have paid his listing fees and his time and trouble to take me
out for the test sail. I'm pretty sure I said I never expected to see
my deposit back in either case.

I am not an attorney, but I would think that the seller could sue the
buyer unless there is some language in the agreement which allows the
buyer to walk away from the deal after inspection, survey, sea trials
or whatever. The fact that the agreement is made through Ebay doesn't
seem relevant. Ebay isn't making the agreement, it is made between
the buyer and the seller. Basic contracts 101. Offer, acceptance,
consideration.

I haven't studied many Ebay boat listings, but it seems that most
don't provide for an "out" after the sale. I suppose a defense might
be that the item was misrepresented by the seller, but it seems to me
that an Ebay "sale" is really no different from any other. Breach the
deal and there could be consequences.