DSK

Default Spinnakers...

Navigator wrote:
It wasn't that picture and you didn't discuss it.

Oh really? Sorry to tell you, but the Google archive disagrees

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e... t%26rnum%3D27

... Oz said your trim was
bad and you (of course) said otherwise as I recall. But it's alright I
know you know you are always right.

No, but on most occasions I'm right when you disagree.

DSK

Navigator

DSK wrote:

Navigator wrote:

It wasn't that picture and you didn't discuss it.

Oh really? Sorry to tell you, but the Google archive disagrees

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e... t%26rnum%3D27

It wasn't that picture -it was another picture where you claimed to be
roaring up places in the fleet. Why lie about it? Oh I forgot -you were
at the back of the fleet as per usual!

No, but on most occasions I'm right when you disagree.

No you are always right.

Cheers

Wally

Navigator wrote:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...88888637udZpWz

Could this spinnaker trim be improved?

(Point elswhere about being ahead of the pack is duly noted...) I ain't no
expert (just getting the hang of spinnakers), but it looks to me like the
belly is too high - the creases suggest that the sheet and guy are pulling
the bottom corners in too much. Is the pole long enough? Are the lines
coming down to the rail too far forward? (They come back to the quarters on
the Sonata I'm crewing on.) The leech of the jib seems to be fouling the
spinnaker a little.

--
Wally
www.forthsailing.com

DSK

Wally wrote:
(Point elswhere about being ahead of the pack is duly noted...) I ain't no
expert (just getting the hang of spinnakers), but it looks to me like the
belly is too high - the creases suggest that the sheet and guy are pulling
the bottom corners in too much. Is the pole long enough? Are the lines
coming down to the rail too far forward? (They come back to the quarters on
the Sonata I'm crewing on.) The leech of the jib seems to be fouling the
spinnaker a little.

The length of the pole is limited by class rule, almost any boat would
be faster (all else being equal) with a longer spinnaker pole. Also the
sheet leads are determined by the boat's length & beam, yes they are at
the quarters. The guy is run down to a reaching cleat just aft of the
windward chainplates, that is cast off in a gybe and the new guy socked
down.

As you and Oz1 suggest, the jib is somewhat in the way (although I could
point out that it is also more sail area, and it's pulling) and usually
they are snugged down to the foredeck. But at the point when this
picture was taken, the spinnaker had just been hoisted and we had other
priorities. With the luff curl up high and the creases from the clew,
the spinnaker is pulling quite well. I generally carry it the pole
higher than most people (except in light air) and find that if you can
keep the sail stabilized, it's faster.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Thom Stewart

Nav,

Could it be improved? Do you mean for looks or for speed?

The sheet does look tight, but it is forcing the air up higher, where it
seems to be more effficent. Could it look prettier? Yes.
Could it be faster? Don't know? It's hard to fault 1st place.

The better looking Chutes are behind. Just maybe, at this time, a bit of
over trim is what is needed. I don't know. Do you?

I'm surprised that there are no "Star Cuts." I believe they would give
the extra lift that the lead boat seems to have.

OT

DSK

Thom Stewart wrote:
I'm surprised that there are no "Star Cuts." I believe they would give
the extra lift that the lead boat seems to have.

Many Lightnings do use star cuts, they are flat reaching or heavy air
'chutes. For running & light air, the old fashioned cross cut is better.
It can be cut with deeper shape, bigger shoulders, and it's lighter
because there is less seam per unit area.

Anybody out there using tell tales on spinnakers?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Navigator

You should near the foot since you won't believe my criticism of how you
are flying it.

Cheers

DSK wrote:

Anybody out there using tell tales on spinnakers?

DSK

Navigator wrote:
You should near the foot since you won't believe my criticism of how you
are flying it.

Why should I (or anyone) believe what you say? You have not posted
anything that is convincing you have ever sailed a boat with a spinnaker.

DSK