Wally

Default Question: Judging High Tide by the Moon

Navigator wrote:
What location has moon rise and set 12 hours apart?

Virtually anywhere, I'd guess - just had a look at moon rise and set for
some random locations (Glasgow, Jerusalem and Canberra), for today, and
they're all a shade over 12 hours apart. If rise/set are close to due
east/west, then the time for the moon to traverse the sky will be about 12
hours - think about the solar equinoxes, where the sun rises/sets due
east/west. I dare say this princple won't hold at extreme latitudes. The
moon passes the due east/west points twice in its mo(o)nthly cycle.

--
Wally
www.forthsailing.com

Navigator

Wally wrote:
Navigator wrote:

What location has moon rise and set 12 hours apart?

Virtually anywhere, I'd guess - just had a look at moon rise and set for
some random locations (Glasgow, Jerusalem and Canberra), for today, and
they're all a shade over 12 hours apart. If rise/set are close to due
east/west, then the time for the moon to traverse the sky will be about 12
hours - think about the solar equinoxes, where the sun rises/sets due
east/west. I dare say this princple won't hold at extreme latitudes. The
moon passes the due east/west points twice in its mo(o)nthly cycle.

The devil _is_ in the detail and is it ever 12 hours????

Cheers

Wally

Navigator wrote:

The devil _is_ in the detail and is it ever 12 hours????

What part of 'find lunar noon' are you ignoring in lieu of trolling for
nanosecond-precise astronomical timing?

--
Wally
www.forthsailing.com

Jeff Morris

"Navigator" wrote in message

Wally wrote:
Navigator wrote:

What location has moon rise and set 12 hours apart?

Virtually anywhere, I'd guess - just had a look at moon rise and set for
some random locations (Glasgow, Jerusalem and Canberra), for today, and
they're all a shade over 12 hours apart. If rise/set are close to due
east/west, then the time for the moon to traverse the sky will be about 12
hours - think about the solar equinoxes, where the sun rises/sets due
east/west. I dare say this princple won't hold at extreme latitudes. The
moon passes the due east/west points twice in its mo(o)nthly cycle.

The devil _is_ in the detail and is it ever 12 hours????

Why not? What's the problem? Or are you making the sophomoric argument that
its very unlikely to be "precisely" 12 hours? It certainly isn't hard to find
places and times where its within a couple of minutes. Certain latitudes are
more favorable than others for this situation to exist, but there's nothing the
precludes it.

Have a go with:
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/ select "Data Services" and then "Table of
sunrise/sunset ..."

Jeff Morris

Are you claiming its broken?

There are a number of factors that determine the time between moonrise and
moonset. However, there is no reason why a 12 hour duration can't occur, and no
reason why it can't happen from 4pm to 4am.

Now you can claim that you were "trying to get people thinking about something"
but I claim you have no idea about lunar noon and it relationship to the tides,
and that you had some bizarre notion that a 12 hour duration was not possible.

Jeff Morris wrote:

"Navigator" wrote in message

Wally wrote:

[...]

Wally

Navigator wrote:

No, I'm trying to get people to think about the relationship between
altitude and period between rise and set for a fixed lunar orbital
period.

Not so much a side-step, as a stumble.

--
Wally
www.forthsailing.com

Lunatic Tides Gould 0738 General 0 July 14th 04 01:21 AM
Blackwater River Kayaking (Rookie Question) Jay D. Washington Touring 4 February 11th 04 10:37 PM
Asatru resources Nik ASA 0 September 19th 03 03:31 PM
Since Booby can't answer the question Simple Simon ASA 13 September 3rd 03 02:07 AM