Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Dave

Default Legal Liability from Storm Damage

Hello:
This past september my docklines broke during a gale sending my Holder
20 sailboat into the neighboring powerboat cause about $5000 in damage
to the powerboat. A claim was filed through my homeowner's insurance.
The claim was rejected because my insurance company said that this
was an act of god and I was not responsible. After several go arounds
with my insurance company, I recommended that the owner of the
powerboat file through his insurance company. I recently found out
that his insurance company rejected the claim because he took to long
to file. Anyhow, the guy who runs my marina recently called me to let
me know that the powerboat owner was planning to sue me. I am
currently looking for an attorney to review this situation, but I was
curious if anyone knew who is legally responsible for the damage,
myself or the powerboat owner. I spoke to an attorney today and he
said that I would need a maritime lawyer for this case. As I searched
maritime law today, I could not find any rules and regs that apply to
my case. The inland rules only talk about responsibility while
underway.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave
Holder 20
Marmora, NJ

Storm jib? Stephen Trapani Cruising 8 May 11th 04 05:10 AM
Boat US Marine Insurance jps General 28 January 20th 04 05:50 AM
Ketch storm tatics Joe ASA 56 December 20th 03 11:07 PM
I've weathered many a storm . . . Simple Simon ASA 5 November 26th 03 04:13 AM
what to do in a swamped boat in a storm? pb General 9 August 14th 03 05:33 AM