Michael

Default Gone for a month give or take

It's never perfectly safe, especially when singlehanding. However with
others on board I have done exactly the same thing. I did the mid ocean
swim once when on my own but took down the sails and had a long line for
just in case. I got cured of that in '97 on SV Patylee between Lautoka and
Bay of Islands. Wasn't even in the water. Instead was standing on the swim
step wearing nothing but a harness and two tethers and some soap. I think
that skipper probably stillhas the photo. Just reaching for the bucket to
rinse off when he (the skipper) jerked me back inboard by the tether so to
speak, and that pointed behind the boat. A little matter of a rather
largish fin cured me of further endeavours of that type.

I tend to go a bit further than most in the safety area. Then again I'm
still around to write about it. The whole sort of series was for offshore
sailing with the emphasis onsingle watchstanding or singlehanding. And a
way to cover all the possibilities. Being somewhat free spirited I think
everyone will choose what they want to choose depending on their own
circumstance. Knowing what choices are available is the important thing.

and with that boys and girls . . . . .I'm off to the airport tomorrow . . .
.. The definition of the letters B O A T wants satisfaction. I'm hoping we
will steer right back so I can get on the net again, among other things but
in this business we could just as easy end up anchored in Diego Go. Not a
bad place though! Deep sea fishing, sailboats to rent, good weather this
time of year! hmmmmm........

Meanwhile . . .Lats and Atts May issue.

hasta la later

M.

From: "The Carrolls"
Subject: Lifelines III
Date: Monday, February 23, 2004 9:58 PM

If you are trying to tell me that offshore and at night foreward with no
attachment to the boat is a safe practice reguardless of sea conditions, you
are fool hardy. I don't always use a lifejacket when sailing, but I will
never tell any one that is a safe practice(no jacket). I am a tinsmith, I
work setting decking on high steel buildings, I am certianly able to walk
things such as a boat deck with out falling, most of the time, I have
slipped in bothbuilding steel and boat decks. Accidents and unforseen
circumstances happen. yes, I have been foreward too at night with no
attachment or jacket, BUT, I would never call it a safe practice on a small
vessel underway. Drop into the calm and come up under that small swell
dropping the boat, on your head. Hit something unseen in the water, either
with the boat or your head, and you have a problem. We have no business
telling a new person to our sport that it is a practice they should be
comefortable with, let them find out for themselves.
OzOne wrote in message ...
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 22:56:15 -0500, "The Carrolls"
scribbled thusly:

Off shore at night? Give me a break.

Yep, offshore at night!
Chances of you dropping off in calm conditions is virtually zero, and
in the extremly unlikely event the strobe will give you that added
safety.

Hell, I've swum in the middle of the Pacific Ocean while underway,
hundreds of miles from land. Jumped off, a couple of laps around the
boat to exercise and refresh then climbed back on again.

OzOne wrote in message

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:48:20 -0500, "The Carrolls"
scribbled thusly:

All you show here is inexperience with safe practices, good

seamanship,
and
you are a hazard to newbies who might mistakenly believe you know what

you
are talking about. The practice you have described here is inherently
UNSAFE.

Hmm, I think you're getting a tad uptight here.
It's perfectly safe on deck at night in relatively calm conditions
without a harness providing you have others on deck.
Personally, I never leave a cockpit underway at night without a
strobe.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

katysails

Vaya con Dios...

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Lifelines Part II Michael ASA 180 February 26th 04 05:40 PM
O.T. A day at the airport. RGrew176 General 51 November 27th 03 04:32 PM