Wally

Default Bobsprit And The Magic Fender, Chapter 61.2

Bobsprit wrote:

That's some heel!

Enough for the deck-top fenders to roll overboard...

Real boats have toe-rails, wally! Tends to keep stuff on deck.

Physics, Bob, physics...

http://hispaniola.yachtsea.com/fenders.gif

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Bobsprit

Physics, Bob, physics...

http://hispaniola.yachtsea.com/fenders.gif

Thanks for proving my point, Wally. C&C 32 is a pretty stiff boat and doesn't
heel like my old P30 did, so the toe rail keeps the fenders aboard in most
conditions!
Many thanks again!

RB
Wally

Bobsprit wrote:

Thanks for proving my point, Wally. C&C 32 is a pretty stiff boat and
doesn't heel like my old P30 did, ...

What do you mean by "stiff", and how does that affect heel? (I ask as a
sweet, innocent, fresh-faced n00b.)

... so the toe rail keeps the fenders
aboard in most conditions!

'Most conditions' is all very well, Bob, but my diagrams were clearly an
illustration of static conditions - there was no mention of the *transition*
from vertical to heeled, or of the mass / momentum of the fender as it rolls
across the deck during that transition. It should be plain to almost anyone
that *moving* from vertical to a given angle of heel, even one much less
than the 61.2 degrees that you mentioned, will cause the fender to bounce
over the toe rail. Were it otherwise, your car would stop instantly if it
hit so much as a small pebble on the road.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Bobsprit

It should be plain to almost anyone
that *moving* from vertical to a given angle of heel, even one much less

This is a pretty silly thread, so I'll end it with two pics. In both cases the
fender is resting ON the toe rail and STILL hasn't moved over a period of
hours! Gulp! amazing! Maybe these pics are faked, Wally??? Maybe I used Plexus
to glue them in place?

Pic 1-leaving an hour out of Port Jeff under sail.
http://hometown.aol.com/bobsprit/images/suzsails.jpg

Pic 2-Motoring into the Thimble Islands hours later.
http://hometown.aol.com/bobsprit/images/thimble4.jpg

Note the boom shadow...1st is around 9 am, 2nd early afternoon. Sorry, Wally.
Still waiting for ANY pic of your boat under sail...or tow...or anything!

RB

felton

Very impressive, but wouldn't a boat generally have to be under sail
to develop that much heel?

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 00:43:58 -0000, "Wally"
wrote:

Bobsprit wrote:

That's some heel!

Enough for the deck-top fenders to roll overboard...

Real boats have toe-rails, wally! Tends to keep stuff on deck.

Physics, Bob, physics...

http://hispaniola.yachtsea.com/fenders.gif

Wally

felton wrote:

Very impressive, ...

A mere bagatelle (whatever a "bagatelle" is).

... but wouldn't a boat generally have to be under sail
to develop that much heel?

Boobsy seems to think it's typical, but he was referring to boats in
general - he did state later that Alien doesn't heel that much, which
underlines your point.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com