Nav

Default An older AC yacht racing

http://www.stmaarten-activities.com/.../AMERICUP1.jpg

and the heel is???

Cheers

SAIL LOCO

Hey Sherlock, your starting to make an ass out of yourself. You don't know
what the strategy is on any of the boats in any of the photos you posted. We
have started many an upwind leg over powered not because it's the fastest way
but because it may be a short leg and we don't want to have to be shaking out a
reef while hoisting a chute. So we live with reduced speed for a short period.
Remember in a sailboat race all you have to do is stay with the fleet.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"No shirt, no skirt, full service"
Nav

SAIL LOCO wrote:

Remember in a sailboat race all you have to do is stay with the fleet.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"

Err great idea I'll think about it.

Err Nope, I want to lead.

Loco, the point is that heeling is OK and limiting heel to 12 degrees is
not a racing stratagy for any keeler I've be on in 30+ years of sailing.
Now the exact heel for highest boat speed with control depends on the
boat but it's nearer 30 than 20 for most boats. 12 degrees is total gaff
on Dougs part and make me wonder if he's sailed any keelers at all.

Cheers

SAIL LOCO

Hmm interesting stategy that.
Go slow, cop dirty air, fall off, lose more ground,
Then have an easy hoist and spend the rest of the race playing catchup
sweating on a lucky shift to break you out of more dirty air on the
next uphill.

Duh............. I never said we would be the only boat going a certain way.
If I saw the entire fleet starting a short upwing leg with a reef in I'd go
that way too but it never happens.

I gather you don't win much if "staying with the fleet" is your main
goal!

First of all I take it you don't know that much about sailboat racing because
if you did you would know the FIRST rule is stay with the fleet. Secondly, as
far as your other comment goes I have my fair share of trophys on the basement
wall so I think I know a little bit about what I'm doing out there.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"No shirt, no skirt, full service"
SAIL LOCO

Now the exact heel for highest boat speed with control depends on the
boat but it's nearer 30 than 20 for most boats.

Optimum is in the 20-25 deg. range for MOST keel boats.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"No shirt, no skirt, full service"

Martin Baxter

Nav wrote:

http://www.stmaarten-activities.com/.../AMERICUP1.jpg

and the heel is???

Cheers

About 15o, it Booby pic with the horizon canted 15o the other way.

Cheers
Mary