Scout

Default dropping sail and curling up

After dropping sail and anchoring for the night, I love to spend my time
reading. Books are heavy though and take up valuable space - but now I can
take my library to sea with me! I just loaded more than 2000 classic books
on CD, which I purchased at www.4literature.net for about $20. What a
bargain!
Scout

DSK

Scout wrote:
After dropping sail and anchoring for the night, I love to spend my time
reading. Books are heavy though and take up valuable space - but now I can
take my library to sea with me! I just loaded more than 2000 classic books
on CD, which I purchased at www.4literature.net for about $20. What a
bargain!

Great as long as the batteries hold out

Actually I'd rather read a real book that look at a computer screen. For
some reason, reading on screen hurts my eyes much more than reading print.

Anyway thanks for the link... interesting list of authors... why
Herodotus but no Heinlein? For that matter, why Thucydides but not
Xenophon? Sorry, I just finished re-reading Mary Rennault's non fiction
"Life of Alexander" (the Great, of course) and am on somewhat of a jag
for the ancients. And do they have all the cool illustrations with the
Rubaiyat??

I've never had a problem keeping a stock of good books on any of our
boats. Most cruisers seem to be readers, and book swap shelves are well
stocked at most clubs & marinas.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Scout

"DSK" wrote
Great as long as the batteries hold out

They ran down once on me, but that was because my father wanted to watch a
DVD "Saving Private Ryan" the night before. I just plug the laptop into my
12V system. Between my solar cell and my Honda EU2000, power isn't usually a
problem.

Actually I'd rather read a real book that look at a computer screen.

Me too - I would never take the laptop over a hardcopy in my own library

Anyway thanks for the link... interesting list of authors... why
Herodotus but no Heinlein?

You're welcome! I'm not sure why no Heinlein, but I suspect they went for
books with little or no copyright obstacles.

For that matter, why Thucydides but not Xenophon
Shortage of Athenian copyright lawyers?

And do they have all the cool illustrations with the Rubaiyat??

No, for some reason they didn't include illustrations ($ 20 ?), but of
course you could go to http://www.arabiannights.org/rubaiyat/index2.html and
extend your e-library to include those sexy graphics. I subscribe to
Scientific American too, and keep a library on my laptop of all their
journals for the past 10 years. SciAm is well worth the cost.

Most cruisers seem to be readers, and book swap shelves are well
stocked at most clubs & marinas.

lol - You mean they're not there as beer coasters?

Scout

Scott Vernon

I've heard most cruisers watch TV.

"DSK" wrote...
Most cruisers seem to be readers, and book swap shelves are well
stocked at most clubs & marinas.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

katysails

Scott announced:=20
I've heard most cruisers watch TV.

TV on a cruising boat is a waste of time....seems to be the antithesis =
of what sailing's all about....
--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Scott Vernon

"katysails" wrote

TV on a cruising boat is a waste of time....seems to be the antithesis of
what sailing's all about....

I'm sure there are a few boorish, low brow types who do watch TV at anchor.

SV

John Cairns

Well if you have kids(who can definitely be lowbrow) TV at anchor can be a
godsend.
John Cairns
"Scott Vernon" wrote in message

"katysails" wrote

TV on a cruising boat is a waste of time....seems to be the antithesis of
what sailing's all about....

I'm sure there are a few boorish, low brow types who do watch TV at

anchor.

SV

katysails

Doug said: I just finished re-reading Mary Rennault's non fiction=20
"Life of Alexander" (the Great, of course) and am on somewhat of a jag=20
for the ancients.

Read her book _Persian Boy_ Quite steamy....or have you read Anne =
Rice's _Cry To Heaven_ (not a vampire story...historical fiction on an =
odd topic)....

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

katysails

Oh, and Doug, if you're really into the ancients, you need to look at =
the Colleen McCoullough's First Man of Rome series....they are =
wonderful....

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Nav

How about Nathaniel's Nutmeg? One of the best I've read in the past It
even told me what Manhatten means...

Cheers