BoatBanter.com

-   -   Foggy River (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/19000-foggy-river.html)

Joe January 20th 04 04:10 PM

Foggy River

Here is a good example of the type of fog you see on Mark Twains favorite
river:

http://away.com/gifs/states/mn/fall_missriver.jpg

Anyone know what type of fog this is? And how it is formed?

Notice how calm it is? makes it thick as can be
Notice how flat the water is? great for a crystal clear radar picture
Notice how low it is? Lots of sunlight makes it very bright-snowblinds ya
Notice the steep banks? Makes a easy-to-learn radar picture.

How many other types of fog exist?

Would you be scared to navigate in this fog?

Joe
MSV RedCloud

Donal January 20th 04 06:42 PM

Foggy River

"Joe" wrote in message
om...
Here is a good example of the type of fog you see on Mark Twains favorite
river:

http://away.com/gifs/states/mn/fall_missriver.jpg

Anyone know what type of fog this is? And how it is formed?

Notice how calm it is? makes it thick as can be
Notice how flat the water is? great for a crystal clear radar picture
Notice how low it is? Lots of sunlight makes it very bright-snowblinds ya
Notice the steep banks? Makes a easy-to-learn radar picture.

How many other types of fog exist?

Would you be scared to navigate in this fog?

Depends.....

Do *you* motor about on that river?

Regards

Donal

DSK January 20th 04 07:13 PM

Foggy River

Joe wrote:

Here is a good example of the type of fog you see on Mark Twains favorite
river:

http://away.com/gifs/states/mn/fall_missriver.jpg

Anyone know what type of fog this is? And how it is formed?

It looks like a blanket of fog in chilly air over warm water, I forget the
official name for it. And if it is in St Paul Minn, it's well above Mark
Twain country IIRC.

Would you be scared to navigate in this fog?

If it was on a river with current, yes.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

MC January 20th 04 08:37 PM

Foggy River

DSK wrote:

It looks like a blanket of fog in chilly air over warm water,

Correct!

I forget the
official name for it.

Let me help you. Think 'sea' might be an ad*ective for fog?

Cheers

DSK January 20th 04 09:52 PM

Foggy River

MC wrote:

Let me help you. Think 'sea' might be an ad*ective for fog?

Very good. Thanks.

Now, what use is this again?

DSK

katysails January 20th 04 11:11 PM

Foggy River

There are four types of fog and you could guess for a long time about =
that picture. I'm assuming it's evaporative since it looks like an =
autumn picture with probable cold air passing over a warmer body of =
water creating the mass....the upper layer of cold air would prohibit =
the fog from rising. =20

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

DSK January 21st 04 12:27 AM

Foggy River

katysails wrote:

There are four types of fog and you could guess for a long time about that picture. I'm assuming it's evaporative since it looks like an autumn picture with probable cold air passing over a warmer body of water creating the mass....the upper layer of cold air would prohibit the fog from rising.

That's not what MC said...

Ain't it funny how you and I (and probably a quite a few others around here) could deduce the conditions but only Navvie knows it's proper taxonomy (or is it orthography).

DSK

MC January 21st 04 02:24 AM

Foggy River

DSK wrote:

katysails wrote:

There are four types of fog and you could guess for a long time about that picture. I'm assuming it's evaporative since it looks like an autumn picture with probable cold air passing over a warmer body of water creating the mass....the upper layer of cold air would prohibit the fog from rising.

That's not what MC said...

Ain't it funny how you and I (and probably a quite a few others around here) could deduce the conditions but only Navvie knows it's proper taxonomy (or is it orthography).

Education?

Cheers

Joe January 21st 04 02:43 AM

Foggy River

"Donal"

Would you be scared to navigate in this fog?

Depends.....

Do *you* motor about on that river?

Sure do here is a picture for you:

http://www.maritimepersonnel.net/images/crewboat.jpg

Better watch out! Better stay at home were your sure to be somewhat
safe.

Joe
MSV RedCloud

Regards

Donal

katysails January 21st 04 02:57 AM

Foggy River

OZ asked:=20
How long do the shafts last?

I lived right smack dab between the Mississippi and the Merrimac for =
three years...the Mississippi is a muddy, muddy river and if you don't =
service your engine continuously, it will go shot quite quickly. People =
sail up north of St Louis and I've heard that sailboat engines suffer, =
too. Running the Mississippi through your engine is like pouring mud =
through a fine sieve.=20
--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse