Jonathan Ganz

Default BOAT SHOW REPORT

No. I'm not being silly. Most serious sailors have spartan interiors,
certainly with a purpose. The purpose being to elimnate weight.
I know a couple of people who raced from SF to Cabo with a
bucket for a head. They really, really, wanted to eliminate weight
(no pun intended). But, they screwed up and had to keep pulling
in for water, since they eliminated a large percentage of their
water tankage toward the same goal. They were living on granola
bars and such.

Most semi-serious cruising sailors also are very concerned about
weight, but realize they have to live on the boat for weeks or months
at a time. Thus, while minimizing weight, they want a few amenities
such as a real marine head, and narrow bunks with lee cloths or
boards, and perhaps a few gagets like radar and a SSB. Cruisers
that don't really cruise, spend most of their time at the dock, or those
that charter (which I do a lot, fyi) load up the boats with all sorts of
crap
that are more toys than useful.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Most serious sailors don't
give a fig about what's below as long as it doesn't fill with water and
doesn't interfere with the performance.

Serious sailors certainly care about how an interior is laid out.
Really, Jonathan, you're being silly. Most "serious" boats have pretty

amazing
interiors built to purpose. The interior is PART of the design and very

hard to
get right.
Lots of boats sail well, but very few have good interiors. Of the "new"

boats
out there, only a handful have proper layouts and still fewer for anyone

much
over 6'1.

RB

Bobsprit

Most serious sailors have spartan interiors,
certainly with a purpose.

Oh, you must mean those spartan Swan, Oyster, S&S, and even Westsails!!!
Jonathan, have you ever been on a Baltic? How about a 60 foot Gardner ketch?
How about a Valiant 40? Robin Hood/Cape Dory 36? How about a Hinkley? I doubt
it!
All of them have VERY nice interiors, often pretty lavish, and all of them are
world striding designs that are well respected.
Perhaps you mean serious ocean RACERS. A serious cruiser needs the best
interior possible to insure he's well rested, comfortable and able to cook
properly.

RB
Scott Vernon

as opposed to a C-section?

"Bob****" the moron wrote ...

O-Birth

Martin Baxter

Bobsprit wrote:

Of the "new" boats
out there, only a handful have proper layouts

What constitutes a "proper" layout, one that has gone
to Eton and has suits tailored in Milan?

Cheers
Marty
Jonathan Ganz

Most people who buy these sorts of boats never do a lot of sailing
on them. Sure, they're great boats, but they're not usually raced
on the ocean or in protected waters. They're wildly expensive
and weigh more than necessary. Sure they can cross oceans, but
they don't generally. Mostly, they sit at the dock with their owners
sitting on them, and with their owners entertaining their snobby
friends.

I delivered a 61' Sparkmans and Stevens (Ted Turner's '79 Fastnet
boat). Turner and the new owner were serious racers and serious
cruisers, respectively. The interior was just above spartan. It was
as I described in the previous post... good, narrow bunks which
were gimbaled, nothing fancy, and he was very, very conscious
about weight distribution (in this case we were carrying his full
compliment of sails for delivery to the new berthing). The new
owner hardly ever raced. He mostly travelled the world, exploring
for months at a time.

Sure, there are a few serious cruisers who have these kinds of
boats, but even they don't overload them with gagets and other
crap.

It's pretty clear that you didn't actually read what I wrote. So, go
back and try again.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Most serious sailors have spartan interiors,
certainly with a purpose.

Oh, you must mean those spartan Swan, Oyster, S&S, and even Westsails!!!
Jonathan, have you ever been on a Baltic? How about a 60 foot Gardner

ketch?
How about a Valiant 40? Robin Hood/Cape Dory 36? How about a Hinkley? I

doubt
it!
All of them have VERY nice interiors, often pretty lavish, and all of them

are
world striding designs that are well respected.
Perhaps you mean serious ocean RACERS. A serious cruiser needs the best
interior possible to insure he's well rested, comfortable and able to cook
properly.

RB

Jeff Morris

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

Perhaps you mean serious ocean RACERS. A serious cruiser needs the best
interior possible to insure he's well rested, comfortable and able to cook
properly.

And which category do you fit in?

Bobsprit

Most people who buy these sorts of boats never do a lot of sailing
on them. Sure, they're great boats, but they're not usually raced
on the ocean or in protected waters.

Raced? I'm talking cruising, Jonathan. The Valiant 40, Gardener ketch at my
club sail to warm waters every year. They don't have spartan interiors. Every
serious cruiser I ever saw or read about had plenty of "home" packed into the
boat. Nothing spartan.

RB
Bobsprit

Sure, there are a few serious cruisers who have these kinds of
boats, but even they don't overload them with gagets and other
crap.

Wrong again. Most designs for serious cruising are not stripped out. There are
quite a few offshore cruisers at City Island, including boats I mentioned, no
one has a spartan interior.
Swans and Oysters make PLENTY of serious passages. No spartan interior.

RB
Bobsprit

It's pretty clear that you didn't actually read what I wrote. So, go
back and try again.

Just about every serious builder features nice interiors. Today's modern
materials makes stripping down a waste. You can have a fast well appointed boat
and serious cruisers with means pay for them all the time.
Serious racers have other needs.

RB