BoatBanter.com

-   -   Is your vessel seaworthy? (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/18599-your-vessel-seaworthy.html)

Bobsprit December 5th 03 11:33 AM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

Beats "Alien" which is only dockworthy.

Hey, Look!!! The Coronado owner is helping the Siedleman owner!! Aint that
cute...awwwww!

RB

Scott Vernon December 5th 03 04:50 PM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

Real sailors help each other out. You're NOT in the club.

SV

"****Head" wrote ...

Bobsprit December 5th 03 05:05 PM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

Real sailors help each other out. You're NOT in the club.

You're right! Members in your club drive Yugo's and Kia's as well!

Hoooh ahhhh!

RB

Donal December 6th 03 12:40 AM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

"Peter Wiley" wrote in message
. ..
In article , Donals Dilemma
wrote:

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 23:02:33 -0000, "Donal"

Right. Basically cylinders fall into 2 categories. 9kg & less, you can
own and get filled anywhere without paperwork, as Oz says, long as
they're in test.

I think that you have both cleared up my confusion.

Here, we take an empty gas cylinder to the shop and exchange it for a full
one. So the legal responsibilities for the cylinder lie with the gas
supplier. Every time that we get a refill, we actually get a different
cylinder.

I assume that you keep the same cylinder through it's life???

The big cylinders - 45kg - are used for
domestic/industrial supply of LPG and if they're for a fixed
installation (house for example) the pipework has to be done by a
licensed gasfitter and it's illegal for the supplier to rent bottles to
you if you don't have the paperwork/compliance plate.

Here, you could do your own pipework. It is now illegal for a non-approved
person to carry out installations for money.

It's also illegal
to do your own gas pipework for reticulated town gas, BTW, and for good
reason - lotta idiots and the people they kill will probably not
include themselves, unfortunately.

If you did your *own* pipework, then any resulting fatalaties would probably
only include you, or your immediate family. This would have nothing to do
with the government(IMHO).

Regards

Donal

Peter Wiley December 7th 03 11:00 PM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

wrote:

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 23:02:33 -0000, "Donal"

Right. Basically cylinders fall into 2 categories. 9kg & less, you can
own and get filled anywhere without paperwork, as Oz says, long as
they're in test.

I think that you have both cleared up my confusion.

Here, we take an empty gas cylinder to the shop and exchange it for a full
one. So the legal responsibilities for the cylinder lie with the gas
supplier. Every time that we get a refill, we actually get a different
cylinder.

I assume that you keep the same cylinder through it's life???

Yes. Recently a cylinder exchange system has started up where you can
do as apparently you do, but it's a recent innovation.

[snip]

It's also illegal
to do your own gas pipework for reticulated town gas, BTW, and for good
reason - lotta idiots and the people they kill will probably not
include themselves, unfortunately.

If you did your *own* pipework, then any resulting fatalaties would probably
only include you, or your immediate family. This would have nothing to do
with the government(IMHO).

You assume the place is never sold or that any faults manifest
themselves during the original ownership. Not necessarily the case
unfortunately. It's possible - stupid, but possible - to use lead based
solder (yorkshire fittings) to make your own gas pipework. This solder
can degrade over time, or crystallise. A gas leak may occur years
later.

If a problem only affected the person who did it or their immediate
family, I wouldn't have any real probs with the outcomes. Stupidity and
carelessness have always been punishable until recently. Now it seems
these traits are rewarded.

PDW

Donal December 10th 03 12:29 AM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

wrote:

[...]

No! I assume that the problem is not big enough to warrant government
intervention.

Not necessarily the case
unfortunately. It's possible - stupid, but possible - to use lead based
solder (yorkshire fittings) to make your own gas pipework. This solder
can degrade over time, or crystallise. A gas leak may occur years
later.

How often does this occur? Is the degree of risk really worth the cost?

When I bought the house that I currently live in, I had it surveyed. I now
assume the risk. I suspect that the government could save more lives by
spending *our* money on hospitals, instead of paying ill-educated inspectors
to ensure that we do not blow ourselves up with dodgy gas fittings.

Regards

Donal

Peter Wiley December 10th 03 01:40 AM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

In article , Donal
wrote:

[...]

Heh. Most people have houses surveyed for structural defects. When was
the last time a surveyor did a pressure test on gas lines? I'd venture
to say never, here. The pipework is assumed to be OK. Brave assumption
even if a professional did do it, IME.

Personally though, I'm in agreement with you. I'm building a house
right now and I *may* end up arguing with an inspector because my
lintels aren't *exactly* to code. Never mind that they're twice as
thick as they need to be, according to the framing code, and I'm the
one who will wear it if something goes wrong. Far as I'm concerned they
should mind their own business. The paperwork takes far too much time.

PDW