Simple Simon

Default Compass dip - questions for the southern Hemisphere people.

Since the north magnetic pole is not resting upon the surface of the Earth
compasses made for Northern Hemisphere use are usually weighted on the
card on the southern side to keep the card more level as the north side of
the card seeks out the north pole buried well inside the Earth.

Are the compasses you Australian and New Zealand ******s use weighted
any differently? What if you were going to sail to Canada or something.
Would your southern compass work in the Northern hemisphere? Also
does you compass really seek the North magnetic pole or is it made
backwards to seek the south magnetic pole.

Enquiring minds want to know . . .

S.Simon

Jeff Morris

I believe that the better compasses (all real compasses?) are built for either
the Northern or Southern Hemisphere, or have an adjustment.

http://www.ritchienavigation.com/ser...albalance.html

"Simple Simon" wrote in message
Since the north magnetic pole is not resting upon the surface of the Earth
compasses made for Northern Hemisphere use are usually weighted on the
card on the southern side to keep the card more level as the north side of
the card seeks out the north pole buried well inside the Earth.

Are the compasses you Australian and New Zealand ******s use weighted
any differently? What if you were going to sail to Canada or something.
Would your southern compass work in the Northern hemisphere? Also
does you compass really seek the North magnetic pole or is it made
backwards to seek the south magnetic pole.

Enquiring minds want to know . . .

S.Simon

Simple Simon

So, when I decide to circumnavigate I'll need several compasses?

I have to wonder at the fact of all the circumnavigation stories
I've read that not a single, solitary author even made mention
of compass dip?

S.Simon

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message ...
[...]

The_navigator©

You are correct. The dip would throw the card off and might be a
problem. In fact some tasco binocs with built in compass sold here did
not work for the reason! No compass seeks the pole(s). They just align
themselves with local field. If you look at a large scale chart with
variation the lines can often wander a great deal (let alone the local
anomalies).

Cheers MC

Simple Simon wrote:

Since the north magnetic pole is not resting upon the surface of the Earth
compasses made for Northern Hemisphere use are usually weighted on the
card on the southern side to keep the card more level as the north side of
the card seeks out the north pole buried well inside the Earth.

Are the compasses you Australian and New Zealand ******s use weighted
any differently? What if you were going to sail to Canada or something.
Would your southern compass work in the Northern hemisphere? Also
does you compass really seek the North magnetic pole or is it made
backwards to seek the south magnetic pole.

Enquiring minds want to know . . .

S.Simon

Simple Simon

But the greater question is this. A northern hemisphere compass card
has a magnet with the south pole facing the North cardinal point on
the card. This magnet also has a north pole that aligns itself opposite
of the Earth's poles.

Does a southern hemisphere compass, in order to minimize card dip,
have the magnet placed the opposite direction on the south side of
the card?

S.Simon

Simple Simon wrote:

Since the north magnetic pole is not resting upon the surface of the Earth
compasses made for Northern Hemisphere use are usually weighted on the
card on the southern side to keep the card more level as the north side of
the card seeks out the north pole buried well inside the Earth.

Are the compasses you Australian and New Zealand ******s use weighted
any differently? What if you were going to sail to Canada or something.
Would your southern compass work in the Northern hemisphere? Also
does you compass really seek the North magnetic pole or is it made
backwards to seek the south magnetic pole.

Enquiring minds want to know . . .

S.Simon

The_navigator©

I'm sorry I don't really understand the question. Dip is generally
corrected by weights. So take a northern compass south and card tilts
and develops a dip error. The dip in the south is gernerally in the
opposite direction to that in the north if you like to think about it
that way.

Cheers MC

Simple Simon wrote:

Since the north magnetic pole is not resting upon the surface of the Earth
compasses made for Northern Hemisphere use are usually weighted on the
card on the southern side to keep the card more level as the north side of
the card seeks out the north pole buried well inside the Earth.

Are the compasses you Australian and New Zealand ******s use weighted
any differently? What if you were going to sail to Canada or something.
Would your southern compass work in the Northern hemisphere? Also
does you compass really seek the North magnetic pole or is it made
backwards to seek the south magnetic pole.

Enquiring minds want to know . . .

S.Simon

Simple Simon

But, as you well know, the magnet(s) cannot be place at the center
of the card because that is where the bearing resides. Therefore,
it follows that the magnet is off center favoring whatever side
of the card minimizes the weights placed opposite of it to compensate
for dip.

Are your southern hemisphere compasses built the opposite of northern
hemisphere compasses with respect to magnet and weight placement?

Simple Simon wrote:

Since the north magnetic pole is not resting upon the surface of the Earth
compasses made for Northern Hemisphere use are usually weighted on the
card on the southern side to keep the card more level as the north side of
the card seeks out the north pole buried well inside the Earth.

Are the compasses you Australian and New Zealand ******s use weighted
any differently? What if you were going to sail to Canada or something.
Would your southern compass work in the Northern hemisphere? Also
does you compass really seek the North magnetic pole or is it made
backwards to seek the south magnetic pole.

Enquiring minds want to know . . .

S.Simon

The_navigator©

The magnets can be placed either side of the bearing so the sapphire
bearing is free of mechanical obstrction. The weight is placed on the
other (N on card) side in the southern hemisphere

Cheers MC

Simple Simon wrote:

Since the north magnetic pole is not resting upon the surface of the Earth
compasses made for Northern Hemisphere use are usually weighted on the
card on the southern side to keep the card more level as the north side of
the card seeks out the north pole buried well inside the Earth.

Are the compasses you Australian and New Zealand ******s use weighted
any differently? What if you were going to sail to Canada or something.
Would your southern compass work in the Northern hemisphere? Also
does you compass really seek the North magnetic pole or is it made
backwards to seek the south magnetic pole.

Enquiring minds want to know . . .

S.Simon

Thom Stewart

Simple,

If you ever sail around the world, I'm sure you won't need a compass as
much as a "Dinner Jacket" The trip will be on a cruise Ship and you'll
be a passenger.

Hope you had a wonderful day of Fasting & exercise. I had a wonderful
Turkey Dinner with stuffing (Oyster) gravy, Mashed potatoes, Sweet
potatoes with marshmallows, asparagus; Pumpkin and Raisin pie. Two
Manhattans GREAT DAY

I'm one of your FAT American. Obese to my eyeballs. Called Morbid
Obesity.

Wish you lived closer so I could name you to carry Ole (Fat) Thom the
last mile

Ole Thom