The Carrolls

Default Spares

As bobsprit pointed out it has been a while since I have added to the
sailing content here, and I guess to be fair I should. In a discussion with
friends the otherday the subject of spares came up, and when and how to use
them. By that I mean, I always when I buy a spare part, I replace the good
used part and place the used part in my spares, as I know that part works. I
don't know how many times I have taken a part out of the box and had it not
work, be the wrong part, ect. Any comments?

Bobsprit

I replace the good
used part and place the used part in my spares, as I know that part works. I
don't know how many times I have taken a part out of the box and had it not
work, be the wrong part, ect. Any comments?

I think testing a spare, if reasonable, makes more sense. Using the original as
a spare just means it could close to failing, like a badly worn spare tire.
What you really need is 2 spares for important stuff. Alien carries two of most
engine and electrical spares from bulbs to engine and autopilot belts. We even
carry two full emergency and med kits.

RB

Jonathan Ganz

I think the key is more inspection. Obviously, there are somethings that
can't be inspected easily... I would not necessarily replace a known-good
working part with a new one. You might end up fixing something that
doesn't need breaking, or however that expression goes. Also, just because
something worked before you removed it, doesn't mean it'll work afterward.
Just a thought.

news