Simple Simon

Default Ellen MacArthur at it again - finishes almost last

Interjections interjected:

"Sailor" wrote in message ...
It seems to me that most people who are excellent at anything usually are
selfish, arrogant etc etc - perhaps that's what makes them great - or at
least is a key component alongside raw ability/talent??? Ayrton Senna,
Michael Schumacher, Ellen Macarthur, etc etc

And such as these are held up as role models? Is it any wonder
why crime is on the rise and children are beligerant and crass?

Why is it the average man on the street is so stupid that he
admires or even abides negative personality traits just because
somebody succeeds at something for a while. If this is your wont
then you'll have to admit that Adolf Hitler was a great man to be
held up as a role model and a sterling example of egoism and the
'benefits' of it upon humanity.

Most people are happy to accept mediocrity because the price of perfection
is so high in terms of happiness, likeability etc - for most of us life is a
compromise - some people strip it down and reject the bits they don't want -
but my experience is that few are happy with the end result.

Illogical. How can 'perfection' be perfection when the price is so high?
It seems to me that perfection is better described by those people
who aren't selfish, arrogant and crass.

Very rarely a true top sportsman or woman comes along who has achieved
everything they wanted AND managed to retain a personality and likeability -
Mohammed Ali for instance - some even go on to surpass even that level and
retain a degree of humbleness.

And, these few rare individuals are the ones that should be held
up as examples of the true sportsman - not the likes of Ellen and
her clone Emma who are both sad examples of what sportsmanship
is really all about. The true sportsman does what he or she does
because of the love of the game - not just to get into and stay
in the spotlight as if the whole sports world revolves around them.

I am sure the sports psychologists can elaborate and expand far more
eloquently then I can and maybe even give reasons but personally I admire
people who can be so single-minded to achieve anything at such a high
personal cost.

Then you really do admire Hitler, Stalin, Hussein, bin Laden etc.?
They are prime examples of ego-driven people who raise the bar
a notch or two over your average sociopath. I suppose by your
standards these are to be looked up to far more than minor
egotists such as Ellen and Emma.

The really sad part is that some opinionated half wit American feels so
jealous of just about everything that he feels the need to berate and pass
negative comment on just about everything based on knowledge of just about
nothing - perhaps we should have a whip round and get him a life or at least
some counselling sessions?????

I should think YOU are the one needing a little time
on the couch. By your own admission as I have demonstrated,
you think it's perfectly OK, even admirable, to be selfish,
arrogant and crass in the name of 'success'. That's perverse.

S.Simon

"Duncan Heenan" wrote in message
I disagree (as usual) with Simpleton Simon. Ellen MacArthur's record shows
she does have sailing talent, commitment and courage. However, I ceased to
be a fan after reading her book, which also shows her to be selfish,
egotistical and manipulative; thus not such a nice human being - but

perhaps
you have to be like that to achieve big things.

"Chris" wrote in message
Even if it is no "real" sailing talent its a much better impression than

you
can achieve!

"Simple Simon" wrote in message
http://www.teamkingfisher.com/uk/def...rticle&id=9676

She's got no real sailing talent.

S.Simon

Jonathan Ganz

"Simple Simon" wrote in message
Most people are happy to accept mediocrity because the price of

perfection
is so high in terms of happiness, likeability etc - for most of us life

is a
compromise - some people strip it down and reject the bits they don't

want -
but my experience is that few are happy with the end result.

Like you?

Then you really do admire Hitler, Stalin, Hussein, bin Laden etc.?
They are prime examples of ego-driven people who raise the bar
a notch or two over your average sociopath. I suppose by your
standards these are to be looked up to far more than minor
egotists such as Ellen and Emma.

You left out Bush, Cheney, and Asscroft.

Sailor

Yes I Do - in terms of how single minded and driven the people you mentioned
are - but obviously not in terms of what they were/are trying to achieve.

Your second point - actually I am extremely content and happy - I fully
accept that |I am not that driven nor do I want to be.