BoatBanter.com

-   -   Hull Flexing (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/18313-hull-flexing.html)

Jeff Morris November 9th 03 11:45 PM

Hull Flexing

I had a odd experience yesterday. I went to the boat to finish winterizing, and saw my
neighbor trying to get into his boat, a Prout 37 (which, BTW, has done 3 trans-Atlantic
crossings). The companionway door was latched and locked - he was baffled because the
door had never latched in his experience (he's had the boat a year and always locked with
an external padlock). After a while we were able to pry it open and figure out what had
happened.

On Thursday the mast had been pulled. This seems to have relaxed the hull enough that the
latch, which had not recently engaged, now caught the latch plate. We estimate maybe 1/16
inch of flexing.

Before you jump on the fact that a catamaran hull had a bit of flex, here's what the owner
said "I surprised there would be any flex at all - but my old C&C 37 flexed so much when
we unrigged her that it opened a deck leak."

Simple Simon November 9th 03 11:51 PM

Hull Flexing

Check the jack stands. Some fool probably has the ones in the
middle way too tight and doing most of the work and bending
the boat in the process.

S.Simon

Jeff Morris November 9th 03 11:56 PM

Hull Flexing

Its a catamaran - it can rest on its two keels. Prouts can be stashed like that because
the keels are solid.

My keels, however, are "sacrificial" so its best to jack under the bridge, supporting most
of the weight under the bulkheads:

http://www.sv-loki.com/Along_the_Way/UnderBelly.jpg

Simple Simon November 10th 03 12:20 AM

Hull Flexing

I see the problem. Those jack stands blocking up the
bridge deck are doing just the opposite of what that
area of the boat is supposed to do. If the stands are
taking too much weight the hulls are sort of hanging
from the bridge deck. In the water the hulls support
the bridge deck.

In the water viewed from the front the bridge deck
would have a tendency to be curved down a little in
the center portions. Jacked up as it shows the bridge
deck would be curved the opposite way. This would
warp the house in an abnormal manner.

otnmbrd November 10th 03 12:27 AM

Hull Flexing

Doesn't really matter what size the boat is, you will get some degree of
"flex", especially when you remove it from the water and put it on a
hard stand. BG you want to see flex, you should watch and listen to a
large tanker at sea, or watch one go from hog to sag when loading.

otn

Simple Simon November 10th 03 12:38 AM

Hull Flexing

Again, allow me to reiterate. This is a sailing newsgroup.
We talk sailing yachts here. Why do you keep butting in
with your motor vessel references which are not relevant?

S.Simon

Jeff Morris November 10th 03 01:07 AM

Hull Flexing

Your theory might have merit except for a few details:

First of all, the pictures are of my boat, while the problem was different boat, a Prout
37. The Prout has a third, central hull, called a "nacelle," and it is impractical to
support like mine. It is sitting on its keels. At first, I wondered if the center of the
Prout had sagged and should be supported, but we concluded that in fact the center had
risen when the weight and stress of the mast had been removed.

My boat is supported according to the factory specs. Although the keels can support the
hull for a limited period, they are not intended to support the hull for extended periods.
Since the three timbers are directly un the three bulkheads, the hull is support with no
flexing.

Shen44 November 10th 03 01:33 AM

Hull Flexing

Subject: Hull Flexing
From: "Simple Simon"
Date: 11/09/2003 16:38 Pacific Standard Time
Again, allow me to reiterate. This is a sailing newsgroup.
We talk sailing yachts here. Why do you keep butting in
with your motor vessel references which are not relevant?

S.Simon

If you had a lick of common sense, you'd have noted the general, but related
sense to his comments.

Shen

Simple Simon November 10th 03 05:10 AM

Hull Flexing

Then it sounds like the Prout might be designed to incorporate
the rigging into the total package to stiffen things up. That's
a problem with catamarans - the downward force of mast and
rigging places maximum loading on the center of the bridge deck
as there is no hull there into which to step the mast and loading.

So one can easily picture the hulls being pulled up by the rigging
while the center of the bridge deck is being pushed down. When
their mast and rigging forces are removed the bridge deck can
then assume a more upward position causing the house to warp
somewhat. This might cause the doors to jam, etc.

It fits my theory about how a properly stayed vessel is a
much stronger system then say a Nonsuch with an unstayed
mast.

DSK November 10th 03 11:26 AM

Hull Flexing

otnmbrd wrote:

Doesn't really matter what size the boat is, you will get some degree of
"flex", especially when you remove it from the water and put it on a
hard stand. BG you want to see flex, you should watch and listen to a
large tanker at sea, or watch one go from hog to sag when loading.

Sure. Why else would they build expansion joints into the upper decks of big (or even
medium-sized) ships?

The only way to have zero flex would be to have literally infinite rigidity. The question is,
how much is too much, and how much is marginally greater rigidity worth the other sacrifices
made to increase it?

1/16" doesn't sound like a problem to me, although the latch sounds like a PITA. Another issue
is that fiberglass does lose a bit of torsional strength as it flexes many times... just like
any other material. The nice thing about fiberglass is that it has a very high number of load &
flex cycles to fatigue failure. Great engineering material, pity it's so heavy.

I remember reading about a New Orleans Marine hotshot racing boat built back in the 1980s, which
had a hull & deck of uncored glass & mat with a subimposed grid of straight S-glass. Everybody
guffawed and said "Those hicks sure don't know how to build racing boats, shoulda used foam
core" but the builder shrugged and said that they measured the bend in the hull/deck with
15,000# tension on the backstay.... it was 4 thousands of an inch....

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Bobsprit November 10th 03 11:36 AM

Hull Flexing

It fits my theory about how a properly stayed vessel is a
much stronger system then say a Nonsuch with an unstayed
mast.

How many rig failures can you prove for the Nonsuch?
Some theory!

RB

Jeff Morris November 10th 03 12:11 PM

Hull Flexing

One more point - on a Prout the mast is stepped aft, supported by the same bulkhead that the door is
in. In fact, the latch is about 2 feet below where the butt of the mast was. This is why we
concluded the flexing was caused by the rig.

As to your claim that the rig adds strength, this may be so, but it doesn't mean that a Nonsuch is
flimsy for lack of a rig. Perhaps they are overbuilt to compensate, but they are very strong, solid
boats.

--
-jeff

Bobsprit November 10th 03 12:27 PM

Hull Flexing

As to your claim that the rig adds strength, this may be so, but it doesn't
mean that a Nonsuch is
flimsy for lack of a rig. Perhaps they are overbuilt to compensate, but they
are very strong, solid
boats.

No way! Let's wait to see Neal's links to rig failures for Freedom and Nonsuch.
I'm sure he knows what he's talking about!

RB

Marc November 10th 03 12:38 PM

Hull Flexing

Another theory pulled from the ass of Simp. Over 2 thousand Nonsuches
and Freedoms produced and still in service, 20 plus years after their
introduction. You should be able to find the data to prove your
"theory". Step up, man or shut up.

Bobsprit November 10th 03 12:43 PM

Hull Flexing

Another theory pulled from the ass of Simp. Over 2 thousand Nonsuches
and Freedoms produced and still in service, 20 plus years after their
introduction. You should be able to find the data to prove your
"theory". Step up, man or shut up.

I spoke to a Freedom rep at a show and he said the only rig failures of
Freedom's was ONE during a test prior to final production of the unstayed
system. As fas as he knew, no rig failures among the production boats. I
remember a friend telling me that a Nonsuch lost it's mast when it struck a
bridge. Does that count?

RB

Marc November 10th 03 01:03 PM

Hull Flexing

Simp is talking about hull flex. I can't speak for Nonsuch, but the
Freedom is overbuilt. Cored hull with all bulkheads and structural
furniture completely tabbed to deck and hull. Falling off a wave, the
only thing rattling is my teeth.

Jeff is correct in presuming that unstayed rigs are built heavier to
compensate. I would go a little further and state that any stay
rigged boat, that requires an intact rig to insure hull ridgidity is
underbuilt.

Jeff Morris November 10th 03 01:08 PM

Hull Flexing

There was a story of a Nonsuch on a single handed trans-Atlantic. He had a serious
problem - I think the boom broke or fell - and decided to abandon the boat and take a ride
on a freighter. About a year later the hull was spotted by a cruiser in South America; it
was being used by local fishermen, without mast. The owner was tracked down, and he came
and "bought" the hull, and had it refitted.

BTW, while I think the Nonsuch is superb coastal cruiser, it does have limitations as a
passagemaker. However, I still haven't found any documented stories of rig or hull
failures or capsizes - only claims of a "friend of a friend heard once in a bar ..."

jeff - member of the International Nonsuch Association for 8 years

Bobsprit November 10th 03 01:20 PM

Hull Flexing

passagemaker. However, I still haven't found any documented stories of rig or
hull
failures or capsizes - only claims of a "friend of a friend heard once in a bar
...."

Jeff, I can put you in touch with the skipper who was involved in multiple
capsizing on a Nonsuch. The story was covered on CBS news some years ago. The
boat was lost when the owner panicked and tossed the hatchboards over the side.
She had already rolled twice prior to this.
Contact me direct and I'll give you his number. He currently works at city
Island. He's doing a Miami delivery at the moment but will return in December.

RB

Jeff Morris November 10th 03 01:35 PM

Hull Flexing

I'm not sure I want to hear this one, since I don't have a Nonsuch anymore, and wouldn't
use one for offshore purposes.

However, the "capsize issue" is that the bad stability numbers imply that a Nonsuch might
stay inverted. If your friend had multiple capsizes, this was not the case; he was doing
360's. Without hatchboards, this can be a critical situation. BTW, did they loose the
rig?

I certainly don't fault him for abandoning, but there's nothing in your brief account that
reflects poorly on the vessel.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
passagemaker. However, I still haven't found any documented stories of rig or
hull
failures or capsizes - only claims of a "friend of a friend heard once in a bar
..."

otnmbrd November 10th 03 07:14 PM

Hull Flexing

About the only place I've seen "expansion joints", is on Navy ships
(which is not to say some passenger ships might have them).
On a tanker, the only place you'll see them will be on catwalks and in
piping (G can get downright squeaky).
Tankers, being built with longitudinal framing, tend to bend more, in
that direction.

otn

The_navigator© November 10th 03 09:00 PM

Hull Flexing

Ever heard of temperature?

MC

The_navigator© November 10th 03 09:14 PM

Hull Flexing

They are common in engineering in an pipe system that is exposed to wide
temperatuire fluctualtions.

Cheers MC

DSK November 10th 03 10:35 PM

Hull Flexing

The_navigator© wrote:
4 thou. measured on the back of a boat? Complete BS.

"The Captain...cap n all" wrote:
I would have thought so.

AFAIK there was no reason to BS about it, the boat was a one-off
and paid for. If I am interpreting the article about the boat
correctly, the distortion was measured at the mid length along a
straight from stem to center transom.

If one is installing high powered hydraulics to control the rig,
it makes sense to make the hull & deck structure as rigid as
possible, within reasonable weight limits. I haven't seen any
figures for the distortion measured on the newest IACC boats but
the early 1990s boats had very high rig loads (10K kg and up)
and very little (if any) distortion.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

The_navigator© November 11th 03 01:29 AM

Hull Flexing

I'd say It's BS because boats are simply not that rigid and it's hard to
measure to an accuracy of 4 thou on big objects. The flexability of most
boats is such that the side stays limit the spread of the hull as the
backstay is tightened (this is naval architecture 101). Current rig
tensions are much higher than they used to be. Even Ella has a backstay
tension of 2,500 lbs when beating.

Cheers MC

otnmbrd November 11th 03 04:21 AM

Hull Flexing

On a tanker, Dresser couplings are used less for temperature
fluctuations, than for longitudinal flexing due to load and or working
in a seaway.
The same would apply to the flex joints that DSK was talking about.

otn

DSK November 11th 03 04:34 PM

Hull Flexing

The navigator© wrote:

I'd say It's BS because boats are simply not that rigid

Oh yeah, and all boats are built to the same structural standard, aren't
they.

and it's hard to
measure to an accuracy of 4 thou on big objects.

Now that is total BS. It costs, but if you're willing to pay, I'll bring a
crew and and gear, and show you how to measure movement in any axis on
objects of any size & orientation down to 5 ten thousands +/- 1

It's part of what I do for a living, thanks very much. The NIST has
occasionally asked me for advice on this type of thing.

.... Even Ella has a backstay
tension of 2,500 lbs when beating.

Gee, and there's no difference between "2500#" and 15,000# is there?

Why do I bother answering your posts?

DSK

DSK November 11th 03 04:42 PM

Hull Flexing

"The Captain...cap n all" wrote:

How big was this thing Doug?

It was a Frers designed 1-Tonner, maybe 38' or 39' LOA

Most boats assume a slightly different shape in water as opposed to
land only because they are suppored better.

Sure, but then relatively few boats are built to be as rigid as high-end
custom racers. At one point from the late 1970s through maybe the late
1980s it was fairly common to have a geodesic grid of aluminum struts
inside, completely obstructing the cabin. What a PITA.

I can't see anyone measuring 4 thou in a live environment and assuming
accuracy to that level.

Well, to be honest I don't know how the boatbuilder measured this. It's
not a matter requiring scientific accuracy, but there are several ways you
could measure it with an independent frame or taut wire. Nowadays you
could set up a laser deflection meter easily and quickly.

....distortion measured on the newest IACC boats but
the early 1990s boats had very high rig loads (10K kg and up)
and very little (if any) distortion.

They bent.

Shucks, some of them broke! But I meant the hull deflection along major
axis from the rig loads. I suspect that they bent very little (a couple
millimeters or less), or that the hull deflection was designed in as a
tuning feature.... "some chop coming up, let's get the boat a little more
banana-shaped...."

Some of the production boats I've sailed bend visibly, several inches,
when the backstay is on and the rig loaded up.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Capt. Mooron November 11th 03 05:04 PM

Hull Flexing

How does that differ to her usual condition of standing by outside a harbour
with a fouled prop?

CM

Scott Vernon November 11th 03 06:33 PM

Hull Flexing

.... Even Ella has a backstay
tension of 2,500 lbs when beating.

Gee, and there's no difference between "2500#" and 15,000# is there?

Why do I bother answering your posts?

DSK

because you like the feeling of superiority?

DSK November 11th 03 07:21 PM

Hull Flexing

(to Navvie)

Scott Vernon wrote:
because you like the feeling of superiority?

Yeah, but it's too easy. Kind of like clubbing baby seals... although in
this case, the baby seal deserves every bit of it.

DSK

The_navigator© November 11th 03 08:56 PM

Hull Flexing

That boats are built differently has nothing to do with it. Sail boats
are not rigid nor even near it. To be as rigid as you suggest would
probably mean they would not float. If you had ever been in a real boat
beating to windward your would know they are *not* rigid. Put your hand
on the forstay and look at it unloading when she buries her bow and look
at it going tight on the crest (that's revealed by the luff bending).
It's loading up/unloading because the boat is flexing. If you ever get
the chance (assuming that any boat owner could put up with your big
mouth and BS) have a good hard look at the hull of a boat pounding hard
to windward and look and feel hull panels flexing. The boat needs has to
flex to reduce impact loadings because water is much less compressable
than the boat. Once again you reveal your lack of experience with big
boats by suggesting otherwise. This typifies your inability to grasp
even simple ideas.

As for measurent of a boat to 5 thou, look at the coefficent of
expansion of say GRP or even Al (which expands muchg less) and then tell
me how much a boat moves during a typical day/night temperature cycle.
Now you want to tell me it's easy to measure a 5 thou deflection over a
40' boat? Even if the boat builder had access to interferometric
equipment (which I'm sure they did not use -as there would be no point
in such an accurate measurement) it would still be hard. If you think
it's so easy how come you need a 'crew'. Lets face it this is yet more
Doug Kig (I'm a ****ing hero) BS. Have'nt you ever wonder why you don't
make more money -after all, you are such an expert...

My point is that Ella is not a large racing boat and yet still has more
than 1 ton rig tension.

Cheers MC

The_navigator© November 11th 03 08:57 PM

Hull Flexing

What's your point?

Cheers MC

The_navigator© November 11th 03 09:00 PM

Hull Flexing

Common? Name 20 racing boats that "have a geodesic grid of aluminum
struts inside, completely obstructing the cabin". Can you even name one?

You are such a BS artist.

Cheers MC

Capt. Mooron November 11th 03 09:44 PM

Hull Flexing

Oh about 32 degrees in a pinch... You?

CM

"The_navigator©" wrote in message
| What's your point?
|
| Cheers MC
|
| Capt. Mooron wrote:
|
| How does that differ to her usual condition of standing by outside a
harbour
| with a fouled prop?
|
| CM
|
| "The_navigator©" wrote in message
| | I'd say It's BS because boats are simply not that rigid and it's hard
| | measure to an accuracy of 4 thou on big objects. The flexability of
most
| | boats is such that the side stays limit the spread of the hull as
the
| | backstay is tightened (this is naval architecture 101). Current rig
| | tensions are much higher than they used to be. Even Ella has a
backstay
| | tension of 2,500 lbs when beating.
| |
| | Cheers MC
| |
| | DSK wrote:
| |
| | The_navigator© wrote:
| |
| | 4 thou. measured on the back of a boat? Complete BS.
| |
| |
| | "The Captain...cap n all" wrote:
| | I would have thought so.
| |
| |
| | AFAIK there was no reason to BS about it, the boat was a one-off
| | and paid for. If I am interpreting the article about the boat
| | correctly, the distortion was measured at the mid length along a
| | straight from stem to center transom.
| |
| | If one is installing high powered hydraulics to control the rig,
| | it makes sense to make the hull & deck structure as rigid as
| | possible, within reasonable weight limits. I haven't seen any
| | figures for the distortion measured on the newest IACC boats but
| | the early 1990s boats had very high rig loads (10K kg and up)
| | and very little (if any) distortion.
| |
| | Fresh Breezes- Doug King
| |
| |
| |

DSK November 11th 03 09:45 PM

Hull Flexing

The navigator© wrote:

Common? Name 20 racing boats that "have a geodesic grid of aluminum
struts inside, completely obstructing the cabin". Can you even name one?

Sure. Most of the top One Tonners and Half Tonners between about 1977 and
1985. That's not 20, but it's more than one. Jan and Meade Gougeon built two
Canada's Cup racers with such strut grids. When I get home and consult my
stack of old racing newsletters, I can post more names, designers, builders,
and the competitive venues... if I deem it worth my time to continue making
a fool of you...

You are such a BS artist.

Hardly. The problem here is that I state many truths which are outside your
limited experience.

DSK

The_navigator© November 11th 03 09:53 PM

Hull Flexing

Not one of those boats "have a geodesic grid of aluminum
struts inside, completely obstructing the cabin".

C'mon post the evidence!

Cheers MC

DSK wrote:

Common? Name 20 racing boats that Can you even name one?

The_navigator© November 11th 03 09:57 PM

Hull Flexing

Bwhahhahahahaha

In this discussion the only thing limited is my ability to tolerate your
near constant BS.

Cheers MC

The_navigator© November 12th 03 12:56 AM

Hull Flexing

?

Cheers MC

Capt. Mooron wrote:

Oh about 32 degrees in a pinch... You?

CM

"The_navigator©" wrote in message
| What's your point?
|
| Cheers MC
|
| Capt. Mooron wrote:
|
| How does that differ to her usual condition of standing by outside a
harbour
| with a fouled prop?
|
| CM
|
| "The_navigator©" wrote in message
| | I'd say It's BS because boats are simply not that rigid and it's hard
| | measure to an accuracy of 4 thou on big objects. The flexability of
most
| | boats is such that the side stays limit the spread of the hull as
the
| | backstay is tightened (this is naval architecture 101). Current rig
| | tensions are much higher than they used to be. Even Ella has a
backstay
| | tension of 2,500 lbs when beating.
| |
| | Cheers MC
| |
| | DSK wrote:
| |
| | The_navigator© wrote:
| |
| | 4 thou. measured on the back of a boat? Complete BS.
| |
| |
| | "The Captain...cap n all" wrote:
| | I would have thought so.
| |
| |
| | AFAIK there was no reason to BS about it, the boat was a one-off
| | and paid for. If I am interpreting the article about the boat
| | correctly, the distortion was measured at the mid length along a
| | straight from stem to center transom.
| |
| | If one is installing high powered hydraulics to control the rig,
| | it makes sense to make the hull & deck structure as rigid as
| | possible, within reasonable weight limits. I haven't seen any
| | figures for the distortion measured on the newest IACC boats but
| | the early 1990s boats had very high rig loads (10K kg and up)
| | and very little (if any) distortion.
| |
| | Fresh Breezes- Doug King
| |
| |
| |

Peter Wiley November 12th 03 02:39 AM

Hull Flexing

Actually quite a few sailboats *are* much more rigid than you seem to
know. You're taking your experience on plastic boats and assuming it is
generally applicable. The flex in a steel or ferrocement hull is
certainly there (everything flexes to some degree), but it's a fraction
of what is common in lightweight toy racing boats which are built to
minimal standards of seaworthiness and do, indeed, flex. In fact, the
toy boats often break when coming off a fairly moderate wave, as recent
Sydney-Hobart races have shown so well.

The remark about water being much less compressible than the boat is
pure & utter bull****. Even frozen water is a lot more compressible
than steel. Also has lower shear strength, tensile strength etc.

As to measurement of a boat to 0.005", I can easily believe that this
is possible. It's not even all that difficult. Whether there's any
point and whether the measurement is repeatable are different issues.

Peter Wiley