Bobsprit

Default Binocular Showdown

Tested my new Fujinon's from BoatUS against the Tasco Offshore 54s, and a pair
of Steiners that cost 800.00.

The Fujinon's were better than my old Fujinon mariners and it's nice that they
float without a strap. Center focus is a welcome relief..the way any good binoc
should focus. The Tasco's were okay, but poorly balanced in my hands. Eye
relief was also a weakness. Probably time to update the design. The Steiners
had the sharper image, with little fringing and excellent detail. They were
nicely balanced, but bulky for anyone with small hands.
In low light the Steiners seemed to resolve better, but the new fuji's had eye
relief that helped a lot. The Tasco's eye relief made them less effective in
the test.
There's no question that the Steiner's get it right. I found that the compass
light button was in a silly spot...a quibble.
The Fuji's are a great deal, so much so that it's hard to justify the extra
money for the Steiners. There was also a set of Steiners for just 300.00, but
they were not as good as the Fujis.

Capt RB
Simple Simon

Why bother with binoculars at all? You never get
far enough from the dock to use them, do you?

Oh, I forgot, there's that grade school playground
you keep an eye on. Especially the little girls on
the slide and monkey bars.

S.Simon

"Bobsprit" wrote in message ...
[...]

Bobsprit

How can I impress everyone without binoculars. Doesn't every want to be
sailor have them?

Count them! I now have no less than 4 people pretending to be me!!! No other
member of this NG can make such a claim. Only Neal has ever come close to
reaching my level of fame!
Soon I'll be so famous that the name Bobsprit will be legend!

RB