Simple Simon

Default OT - Marlins Sell Championship Trophy to Yankees

Marlins Sell Championship Trophy to Yankees

(2003-10-27) -- Just hours after their champagne-soaked victory celebration
in the decisive game six of the baseball World Series, the Florida Marlins
agreed to sell their championship trophy to the New York Yankees for an
undisclosed amount.

"I was a little surprised at the Yankees' offer," said Marlins owner Jeffrey
Loria, "but we could use the cash to beef up our roster."

Despite outspending their Series opponent 3-to-1 on player payroll, the Yankees
got only five hits and failed to score a run in the 2-0 loss in the final game at
their home stadium. New York started the season #1 in the league with a $150
million dollar annual payroll. The Marlins began with $50 million and a 25th out
of 30 ranking.

Florida plays its home games in a reconfigured football stadium before regular
season crowds averaging 16,290 -- the third lowest in Major League Baseball.
The Yankees average attendance was 42,785 this season -- number one in the
league.

"We were humiliated by poor homeless bums," said Yankees owner George
Steinbrenner. "But we haven't won 26 championships by being tightwads. I
made up my mind last week that the trophy would come to New York one way
or another. I consider it a tribute to the population density of this media market."