Wally

Default Lifelines

How neccessary are lifelines on a small boat like my 18-footer? They don't
seem very functional to me - they barely reach knee height, there's no deck
to speak of along the sides of the coachroof, and they come down to the
sides around the cockpit - there's no pushpit, only a pulpit, and the most
aft stanchion is level with the back of the cabin.

In terms of their supposed function as something to stop people falling
overboard, it seems that the only area of the boat that they have any chance
of protecting is the foredeck. I've always likened them more to tripwires
and I've been swithering about whether to keep them on at all. There are no
spreader plates, so work is required to strengthen them anyway, and making
plugs for the mounting holes will be much less work than trying to make
spreader plates to fit into the tight spaces inside.

Before I make the final decision to remove them, is there anything I'm
missing about their function, such that removal would be a mistake?

--
Wally
www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com

Bobsprit

How neccessary are lifelines on a small boat like my 18-footer?

Too dumb. Troll more carefully. I did see a 18.5 Typhoon once with Life Lines.
Pretty funny.

RB
Wally

Bobsprit wrote:
How neccessary are lifelines on a small boat like my 18-footer?

Too dumb. Troll more carefully.

No troll, Bob. As you're probably aware, my only sailing has been in
dinghies, where the idea isn't so much about staying inboard as hanging out
the side. I was wondering, for example, if they're used as attachment points
for harnesses.

I did see a 18.5 Typhoon once with Life Lines. Pretty funny.

You're saying they're not needed, then.

--
Wally
www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com
Things are always clearer in the cold, post-upload light.

Jeff Morris

I sailed for many years in smaller keelboats Rhodes 18 and 19's, Etchells, Solings, IODs,
etc. which never had lifelines, and I never missed them. However, this was mainly day
sailing or racing in relatively protected waters. When I started cruising, in on smaller
boats (about 24 feet and up) I appreciated lifelines. But to be useful, they must be at
least 25 inches high. I'm not sure I see the value of short lifelines on an 18 footer.

"Wally" wrote in message
Bobsprit wrote:
How neccessary are lifelines on a small boat like my 18-footer?

Too dumb. Troll more carefully.

No troll, Bob. As you're probably aware, my only sailing has been in
dinghies, where the idea isn't so much about staying inboard as hanging out
the side. I was wondering, for example, if they're used as attachment points
for harnesses.

I did see a 18.5 Typhoon once with Life Lines. Pretty funny.

You're saying they're not needed, then.

--
Wally
www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com
Things are always clearer in the cold, post-upload light.

Wally

Jeff Morris wrote:

I sailed for many years in smaller keelboats Rhodes 18 and 19's,
Etchells, Solings, IODs, etc. which never had lifelines, and I never
missed them. However, this was mainly day sailing or racing in
relatively protected waters.

Which is what I'll be doing with mine - short races local to the marina and
daysails in the estuary.

When I started cruising, in on smaller
boats (about 24 feet and up) I appreciated lifelines. But to be
useful, they must be at least 25 inches high.

Mine are barely 18", maybe a bit less. I kinda feel they're there for show
more than anything else.

I'm not sure I see the
value of short lifelines on an 18 footer.

As I said to Bob, it was more in case I was missing something like harness
attachment. I think they'll be going - time to hit the lathe and start
making plugs...

--
Wally
www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com
Things are always clearer in the cold, post-upload light.

katysails

I was missing something like harness
attachment.

We always attach harness to the inside of the boat...I've seen people =
attach to the rails but that wouldn't prevent you from going over...sure =
would be a rough ride, though, until they hauled you back in...

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

katysails

How necessary are lifelines on a small boat like my 18-footer?

The psychological effect that there is something there to grab hold of?
Our 19' daysailer didn't have them but she was deep welled...you'd have =
to really clamber to get out of her and there was no need to go out on =
the teeny piece of foredeck... our 22 had lifelines, if it hadn't had =
them, I would not have broken a bunch of ribs...but that's another =
story....

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Wally

katysails wrote:
How necessary are lifelines on a small boat like my 18-footer?

The psychological effect that there is something there to grab hold
of?

Yup, that's one consideration. As Neal says, though, not having them might
make one more cautious and aware, and thus more careful about how one moves
around.

Our 19' daysailer didn't have them but she was deep welled...you'd
have to really clamber to get out of her and there was no need to go
out on the teeny piece of foredeck... our 22 had lifelines, if it
hadn't had them, I would not have broken a bunch of ribs...but that's
another story....

About the only time I can think that going out to the foredeck might be a
worry is if there's a need to switch from working to storm jib. That said, I
think a harness would be in use by then in any case.

--
Wally
www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com
Things are always clearer in the cold, post-upload light.

Bobsprit

Yup, that's one consideration. As Neal says, though, not having them might
make one more cautious and aware, and thus more careful about how one moves
around.

Yep. Good plan. In fact you should carry no safety gear at all, which will make
you VERY careful!
Holy halibut.

RB