Bobsprit

Default Endeavour 32 vs C&C 30 vs Godzilla

Critical comparison between the two boats...and Godzilla.

LWL: While the Endeavour has a slight WL advantage (2"), it's not significant
enough to make it a faster boat than the C&C. Godzilla has a LWL of 3200 feet.

SA/D: This is where the boats differ greatly. The C&C has a very reasonable
ratio of over 17.5, making it a better light air vessel than even my 32 and at
least as good as the more tender Pearson 30. The Endeavour 32 is rated at aprox
14.5. With her 4000 extra pounds, she'll need excellent sails to catch air to
move her. Godzilla has no sails.

Motion Comfort: With a rating near 30, the Endeavour will probably be less hard
on a crew in a heavy sea. The C&C rates around 20. However, the stern section
of the Endeavour could prove to be a problem in a following sea. Based on
weight of aprox. 5645.5 metric tons, Godzilla's comfort rating would be 989 or
twice as good as an Aircraft Carrier.

Beam: Both have a beam of aprox 10.5 feet Godzilla's beam is 1700 feet max.

SA/WS: Well this is all about wetted surface and friction. Obviously the
Endeavour is dragging more surface area through the water for every foot of
canvas carried. I've been unable to find the specific figures for this. No data
for Godzilla on this one!

Capsize ratio: The Endeavour rates a very respectable 176, while the C&C falls
at 2.0. Both are considered to be blue water capable when modified. The
Endeavour's ratio is better, but remember handling is also a big factor in a
knockdown. Godzilla's ratio is actually a very poor 5.9. When swimming upside
down, water floods into his nose.

Hull Speed. The C&C is 6.6 and the Endeavour is 6.8. The C&C will meet hull
speed and exceed it in winds above 15 knots. The Endeavour can exceed hull
speed with winds closer to 20 knots. In heavy air on a reach they'd be pretty
close. In light or moderate air, the C&C will be faster. Godzilla's hull speed
should be aprox. 125 knots, hampered somewhat by his tail, which fails to
displace enough water to add to the LWL.

D/LWL: A ratio that calculates weight against water line. The C&C rates 256,
placing her in the realm of a moderate boat. The Endeavour is rated at 311,
placing her firmly in the heavy vessel zone. An Alberg 30, a true sea boat
rates a very heavy 395 and the Westwind 32 (As seen in The Perfect Storm) rates
a VERY heavy 429! Godzilla is heavier still, and safe in even perfect storms.

Interior Volume: There's no doubt. The Endeavour has nearly 25% more interior
volume than the C&C. Better for long passages. If you're inside Godzilla,
you've got other problems.

Going to Weather: There's no doubt. The C&Cs can go to weather and point high,
especially when fitted with modern canvas. The Endeavour will be far less
weatherly, probably sailing to within 40 degrees of the wind at best. Her best
tack will be a reach. Not a factor for Godzilla, who's tail generates 9000 HP
at 30 TWPM (Tail Wiggles Per Minute).

At Anchor: This is mostly a guess, but I'm assuming the Endeavour will ride her
anchor better in most conditions. My 32 can be pretty busy at Anchor due to her
fast bottom. I have yet to experiment much with rudder positions at anchor.
Godzilla can touch the bottom with his feet in most cases.

Venting: The Endeavour is the cooler boat with her many ports. Godzilla has
only 3 ports.

Build Quality: The C&C is the better built boat. Endeavour suffered from some
issues over their run, though none were serious. I beleive the Endeavour's
lackluster rep is mostly due to their performance. A Catalina 30 has a better
cabin and will easily outsail the 32, which is why Catalina survived when so
many great builders went under. Consider that the Catalina has an interior as
nice or nicer than mine, has a u-shaped galley and bigger bunks! All that and
the damn thing rates only a bit slower than a C&C 30! Paint the Catalina blue
and she looks sharp. But I don't want a Catalina either...unless it's a BIG
one! Godzilla was made in Japan.

Godzilla wins!

Capt RB

SAIL LOCO

My 32 can be pretty busy at Anchor due to her fast bottom.

That's probably as busy and as fast as you have gone.

S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport
katysails

My 32 can be pretty busy at Anchor due to her fast bottom.

Your fast bottom has nothing to do with being busy at anchor. It's hull =
configuration and displacement that makes you squirm about at anchor. =
Are you locking down your wheel?

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Bobsprit

Your fast bottom has nothing to do with being busy at anchor. It's hull =
configuration and displacement that makes you squirm about at anchor. =
Are you locking down your wheel?

To be honest, we only had the problem on one short, but windy night at anchor.
The boat was sailing at anchor, practically tacking back and forth. She never
did it again, so it may have been a unique combo of wind and current.

RB
Jeff Morris

In my experience, boats that do this have excess windage forward. My old Nonsuch would
"dance" at anchor, and I've seen Freedoms tack back and forth frantically. I've also seen
boats that carried the jib in a bag at the bow, or had the roller furling pulled out a few
inches dance around.

My solution in heavier air was to rig a small riding sail at the stern. In light air, a
small anchor dropped off the bow on very short scope - you want it to drag right under the
bow - would dampen the oscillations. This is called a hammerlock anchor.

-jeff

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Your fast bottom has nothing to do with being busy at anchor. It's hull =
configuration and displacement that makes you squirm about at anchor. =
Are you locking down your wheel?

To be honest, we only had the problem on one short, but windy night at anchor.
The boat was sailing at anchor, practically tacking back and forth. She never
did it again, so it may have been a unique combo of wind and current.

RB

Simple Simon

Yes, I'm awake but I'm gonna go off-line in a few minutes but
I will respond to your lame attempts to discredit me in the
Colregs thread. I'll take my time off line this afternoon and
post them all at once so as to put the final nail in the tugboat
captain's coffins.

S.Simon