Rick

Default COLREGS - The final word on pecking order in restricted visibility.

Simple Simon wrote:

I'm beginning to think Rick is becoming a newsgroup stalker.

Just slapping down an idiot wherever it raises its head.

You alone brought my name into this thread and by doing that you made
yourself fair game for my evaluation of your qualifications or lack thereof.

You seem to want it both ways, Nil. You want to trash your betters but
when you are exposed for the fraud you are you can only whine and claim
that you are being stalked or attacked.

Poor pathetic internet wannabe.

Rick

Jeff Morris

Something else not often mentioned in these threads is that it very difficult to determine
the nature, course and speed of a boat as it first appears through the fog. Neal has
claimed that the instant he sees another vessel he can turn away. The problem is that
such an instantaneous response could be completely wrong.

"Tim Roberts" wrote in message ...
Yet again Simple Simon shows the world that he has never actually been at
sea in fog.

It is NOT easy to tell the bearing of a vessel by just hearing a sound
signal in fog.

Jonathan Ganz

No this isn't true. For example, a near collision would not
be considered safe.

"Simple Simon" wrote in message
Yes, since the COLREGS do not specify what safe speed is
is remains the Captains decision to decide safe speed under
the circumstances he finds himself in.

Unsafe speed is only determined if and when a collision occurs
and it gets hashed over in court. This is another problem with
the Rules. They say vessels should proceed at a safe speed at
all time but then NEVER define what a safe speed is.

S.Simon

"otnmbrd" wrote in message

ink.net...
Dang, I missed this one.
Hey Neal .... are you saying, that as the Master of a large motor
vessel, it is up to me to decide "Safe Speed", so that it's ok for me to
decide that since I have two radars (10cm and 3cm) and a Mate watching
one and me the other, it's OK for me to feel it safe to proceed at 20 k?
Just want to be sure where we stand.

otn

Ronald Raygun wrote:

Simple Simon wrote:

All well and good but you must ask yourself who is
the arbitor of what is a safe speed for a particular
vessel? It is clear in my mind it is the Captain of
the vessel who determines what is or is not a safe
speed for any particular situation or circumstance.

OK

The bottom line is I am the Captain of my ship and
if I say five or six knots is a safe speed then no other
man can dispute it.

OK, except for the relatives of the folks who drowned as
a result of your poor judgement.

Only if there is a collision and there is a court case can
a judge determine that I was wrong.

OK, but why put it to the test? Why not act in a way that
no judge will determine that you ewere wrong?

Even then, it is
only a legal decison to determine liability

It is indeed that, but not only that.

and still
does not take away a Captain's right to determine
what is a safe speed.

Not retrospectively, no, but The Rules form the basis not only
of civil but also of criminal proceedings. You could have
your puny licence rescinded. They'd take away the captain's
right to captain. Just think of the consequences, man!
A life sentence -- condemned forever to being an armchair
sailor. Unthinkable!

Heh, heh, at least in the "liberal" UK we don't need licences.

I have to admit I might be the
give-way vessel by virtue of the fact that all vessels above
me in the pecking order give the same signal. Therefore,
I am ready to give-way the moment the other vessel
comes in sight and I see what it is. This proves there
is a pecking order (give-way/stand-on) in or near an
area of restricted visibilty as I have claimed all along.

Why is this such an important point to prove? Pecking order
exists only under what aviators would call VFR, i.e. only
under section II. It is quite apparent from the rules that
vessels can be "in sight" even though "in or near an ARV".
So what?

Jonathan Ganz

Bozo?

"Rick" wrote in message
ink.net...
Simple Simon wrote:

And, you call ME sad?

Well, not just Sad:

Pathetic
Incompetent
Jealous
Incapable
Inept
Pedantic
Dilettante
Wannabe
Deficient

Let me know if I missed anything.

And BTW, that is not "name calling" it is part of an evaluation of your
unsuitability for shipboard employment based on your written statements.

Rick

Ronald Raygun

Wally wrote:

What about his contention that he has better maneuverability at a higher
speed than a lower one, such that he can stop more effectively at the
higher speed? Does that wash?

Not really. Manoeuvrability alone is not good enough, he needs
to budget for reaction time.

Rick

Jonathan Ganz wrote:

Bozo?

No, haven't called him a bozo. That term is just a bit too warm and
fuzzy. It implies a certain charm and harmlessness that just doesn't
apply to someone as nasty and pernicious as Nil.

Nil is more like an aggressive panhandler. It probably stems from a
lifetime of underachievement and frustration. Having a broken boom on
his little plastic trailer boat probably hasn't made things any easier
for him.

Rick

Capt. Mooron

This is correct.... I know since I have fished commercially and sailed
around the Maritimes for many years. You can NOT tell where the sound is
coming from in thick fog... at least not in a precise direction. Port or
Starboard... maybe yes.... bow or stern maybe yes.... distance bearing no
way!

Cappy you're a tropical sailor with limited experience in my sea realm. I've
sailed often in your waters.... you've never sailed in mine. You are in no
position to speak with any authority on fog.... you are merely quoting and
misconstruing second hand information. That's why you can't defend yourself
adequately in this situation.

CM

"Tim Roberts" wrote in message

| It is NOT easy to tell the bearing of a vessel by just hearing a sound
| signal in fog.

Capt. Mooron

No Jeff... it would be completely impossible.

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote in message
| Something else not often mentioned in these threads is that it very
difficult to determine
| the nature, course and speed of a boat as it first appears through the
fog. Neal has
| claimed that the instant he sees another vessel he can turn away. The
problem is that
| such an instantaneous response could be completely wrong.
|

| "Tim Roberts" wrote in message
| Yet again Simple Simon shows the world that he has never actually been
at
| sea in fog.
|
| It is NOT easy to tell the bearing of a vessel by just hearing a sound
| signal in fog.

| http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
| -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

COLREGS - The final word on pecking order in restricted visibility. Simple Simon General 84 October 19th 03 05:41 AM
Perception Joe ASA 60 October 17th 03 12:42 PM
Ellen MacArthur, Tthe Reluctant Heroine Gerard Weatherby ASA 97 August 8th 03 01:03 AM
A tough question for Jeff and Shen44 otnmbrd ASA 53 July 30th 03 06:14 PM