James

Default Anybody know why . . .

"Simple Simon" wrote in message
news
S.Simon - Yet again showing how little he realy knows and talking bul****

Thom Stewart

Neal,

James has given you a damn good appeasel and where you are out of
adjustment

Lets you and I talk a little about sail trim,
head sail trim.
That line is to let you see the curve of your sail, parallel to the
deck. It shoes your trim. Most salts use the seams on a cross cut but
the line is better

Adjustments on the head

Sag------Is the amount of slack in your forestay. controlled by back
stay tension

Twist------ The amount of fall off of the sail as you lok aloft

Shape (Chord)-----Controlled by Sheet car position, Sheet
tension,Halyard tension and leech (roach) length

If you look at your "Line" you will see a definite hook leading into the
leech. It is a indication of to tight of a leech. Someone mentioned
Leech string tension, Ease off on it until you get a flutter in the
roach and then draw up on it just enough to stop the flutter. The hook
should disappear Check the back end of your line

Simple Simon

I had the track car all the way forward. I should have moved it back
to open up the leech. Is that what you're trying to say? The leech
line was pulled only very easy just to take any slack out of it.

I did notice the foot seemed a little loose in the light winds but
later in the afternoon the winds piped up to a good steady
twenty knots and the sail shaped out nicely. Remember what
you see in the pictures is about five or six knots of wind.

S.Simon

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message ...
[...]

Thom Stewart

Sorry Neal, hit the wrong button

Anyway
Part tow;

Sag Starting position; there should be about three inches sag when you
look up the forestay with the sail on ( this is kind of a seat of the
pants setting) It is to create a bend in the sail. Light air--more bend;
Hvy air -- less bend. Up wind no bend. This is a back stay adjustment

Sheet position; The sheet car, to start, should have the sheet
bisecting the angle of the tack corner equally. This will let you
control the twist and shape of the sail.
Light air more car forward to get a baggy sail; move it back to get a
flatter sail for hvy air and ease sheet tension to get more twist ( to
relieve pressure aloft)
This may have been the the only adjustment you had correct. he top
windward tell tail should just be dancing

Halyard Tension should be used to shape sail, especially the upper half
and position the depth location of the Chord

That is enough said. Now the sling and arrows of the racing group can
let fly.
It takes and old man with little sense to even try to sell sail trim to
anyone, let alone a group

Looking at the main sail, I have to agree with Nutsy, you do need help
and it has damn little to do with boom bend, You need to get that Lump
out of the Tack area. Get more tension on your outhaul for sure. Get a
picture of the whole sail from your dingy and then we'll see what we can
do.

Ole Thom

SAIL LOCO

What's the reason for the black line on the jib?

Quality sails have 2 or 3. I've never seen 1.

S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

Joe

"Simple Simon" wrote in message ...
What's the reason for the black line on the jib?

http://captneal.homestead.com/files/jib.jpg

Yeah. Same reason I have the red ones. I think Ol Thom can answer this
question better than anyone.

You should of requested Yellow lines t match your hull btw.

http://community.webshots.com/album/93138533kAuFwc

Notice the perfect shape? not all wrinkley like the navigators.

Notice that I have 3 red line on my sails,all of them.

your sail looksgood except for the shelf. Looks like wasted cloth,
more wear and chaffing, a great place to collect water and usless
unless you have a bunch of nic knacks to display. Should of gone with
a superior footless sail.

joe
Simple Simon

Very nice and superior to Navigator's lame picture of a sail way
too full for the conditions. The lines on the mainsail I can understand.
It's the line(s) on the jib that have me puzzled because there is not
really any adjustment to speak of available on the jib like there is on
the mainsail. What's the use of a line that facilitates adjustment when
adjustment is limited or lacking altogether?

S.Simon

"Joe" wrote in message m...
"Simple Simon" wrote in message ...
What's the reason for the black line on the jib?

http://captneal.homestead.com/files/jib.jpg

Yeah. Same reason I have the red ones. I think Ol Thom can answer this
question better than anyone.

You should of requested Yellow lines t match your hull btw.

http://community.webshots.com/album/93138533kAuFwc

Notice the perfect shape? not all wrinkley like the navigators.

Notice that I have 3 red line on my sails,all of them.

your sail looksgood except for the shelf. Looks like wasted cloth,
more wear and chaffing, a great place to collect water and usless
unless you have a bunch of nic knacks to display. Should of gone with
a superior footless sail.

joe

Pony Express

That's a troll, right. At least, I hope it is.
--
----
Steve

"Simple Simon" wrote in
message
: Very nice and superior to Navigator's lame
picture of a sail way
: too full for the conditions. The lines on the
mainsail I can understand.
: It's the line(s) on the jib that have me puzzled
because there is not
: really any adjustment to speak of available on
the jib like there is on
: the mainsail. What's the use of a line that
facilitates adjustment when
: adjustment is limited or lacking altogether?
:
: S.Simon
:
: