Simple Simon

Default Attn: Jeff, otn and Shen44

There are new Rules going into effect come November.

Read them he

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navru...vrules2003.htm

pay particular attention to the modified Rule as to give-way
vessels in restricted visibility.

S.Simon

otnmbrd

Thanks for the link. However, I see nothing there which in any way
references anything about modified Rules regarding "give-way vessels in
restricted visibility", but, eg would love to read your interpretation
that says otherwise.

otn

Simple Simon wrote:
There are new Rules going into effect come November.

Read them he

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navru...vrules2003.htm

pay particular attention to the modified Rule as to give-way
vessels in restricted visibility.

S.Simon

Martin Baxter

otnmbrd wrote:

Thanks for the link. However, I see nothing there which in any way
references anything about modified Rules regarding "give-way vessels in
restricted visibility", but, eg would love to read your interpretation
that says otherwise.

This should be worth the wait! Go for it Neal!

Cheers
Marty
Simple Simon

I lied because I knew you would just have to visit the
link if you thought there was a rule about giving way
in a fog. I thought it important that you guys became
aware of rule changes so you wouldn't be an even
bigger hazard to navigation than you already are.

S.Simon

Simple Simon wrote:
There are new Rules going into effect come November.

Read them he

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navru...vrules2003.htm

pay particular attention to the modified Rule as to give-way
vessels in restricted visibility.

S.Simon

Simple Simon

Community Harbor right off Florida Bay.

We had two or three episodes of fog this year.
One fog was so thick you had to use SCUBA in
order to breathe.

S.Simon

"Kelton Joyner" wrote in message news
Do you have fog on Buttonwood, or are you in Blackwater?
krj

otnmbrd

Hmmmmmm It would appear from the below, that you are finally admitting
your error regarding "stand-on" status for sailboats, in fog .... though
typically you are endeavoring to make it look like you were never in error.
Do us all a favor, stay in Tampa bay and studiously avoid any channels
or areas where other traffic may be ...... we'll all feel safer.

otn

Simple Simon wrote:

There are new Rules going into effect come November.

Read them he

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navru...vrules2003.htm

pay particular attention to the modified Rule as to give-way
vessels in restricted visibility.

S.Simon

Jeff Morris

Default Jeff, otn and Shen44

Yes, I noticed that a while back - at the time I thought thcan e was too saturated with
Colregs stuff to bring it up.

The change Neal is refering to adds the words in quotes to the rules:

(a) Any action to avoid collision "shall be taken in accordance with the Rules of this
Part and" shall, if the circumstances of the case admit, be positive, made in ample time
and with due regard to the observance of good seamanship.

The "rules of this part" refer to all of the "sailing rules." Here's what the IMO (the
authors of the ColRegs) has to say about this change:

"Action to avoid collision (Rule 8 (a)) - to make it clear that any action to avoid
collision should be taken in accordance with the relevant rules in the COLREGs and to link
Rule 8 with the other steering and sailing rules; "

As far as I know, the rule concerning restricted visibility (rule 19) is unchanged. I
await your "special" interpretation of the change.

"Simple Simon" wrote in message
There are new Rules going into effect come November.

Read them he

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navru...vrules2003.htm

pay particular attention to the modified Rule as to give-way
vessels in restricted visibility.

S.Simon

Shen44

As far as I know, the rule concerning restricted visibility (rule 19) is
unchanged. I
await your "special" interpretation of the change.

It'll probably take a few days for him to come up with a consecutive string of
woids that will sound coherent to himself only.

Shen