Bobsprit

Default Sail Report: Marc's Freedom 36

Pics will be posted tonight or tomorrow morning!

Suzanne and I met Marc at his Marina today, 2:15 as planned. As he said it was
a 10 day...beautiful wind, probably 12-16 knots and very little traffic about.
The boat is a Freedom 36 in very good shape. Some of the wood needs attention
and I'd update the cushions, but these are nits. It's a well kept boat with a
fresh set of sails.
We headed out and he quickly had the sails up. The boat sailed beautifully
loafing along at 6 knots or so on a close reach. I found the rig incredibly
rangey, allowing for quite a bit of course play without retrimming. It seemed
the boat gave up little speed when not ideally trimmed. While the boat was not
"fast" it sailed well and was reasonably close winded. Marc likened the boat's
motion to a locomotive and I agree...she seemed to maintain a even track with
out overreacting to the puffs. This is a boat that can soak up the miles
without beating up on the crew.
Suzanne had the wheel for a while and we enjoyed the day, sans the WTC. I felt
that it was worth mentioning.
Twice something jammed near the foot of the jib. But things always go a bit
wrong when you show your boat off! It was a great sail and Marc was generous
with the wheel.
Back at the dock we were introduced to Kevin, a nice fellow who gave us a quick
tour of his 1989 C&C 37XL. He invited us for a sail!
Well, we thanked them both and headed off to Nathans and a walk on the
boardwalk. The fries were great!

Thanks, Marc!

Capt RB