Bobsprit

Default Weather Looks Good!

What is the line of sight distance between the two antennae?

I assume you're aware that VHF signals, while mainly line of sight, are capable
of greater range on occasion.

RB
Wally

Bobsprit wrote:
What is the line of sight distance between the two antennae?

I assume you're aware that VHF signals, while mainly line of sight,
are capable of greater range on occasion.

How much greater range, generally speaking?

Should I switch on my handheld and wait for you to hail me? Channel 9, Bob!
I'll be waiting!

No, really, how much greater range?

--
Wally
www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com

Bobsprit

No, really, how much greater range?

To be honest, I was quite shocked to make the shout over 40 miles so clearly.
It's the best I've managed.

RB
Wally

Bobsprit wrote:
No, really, how much greater range?

To be honest, I was quite shocked to make the shout over 40 miles so
clearly. It's the best I've managed.

It does seem quite a long way - perhaps the conditions were particularly
favourable. What sort of range does your radio normally manage?

--
Wally
www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com
Things are always clearer in the cold, post-upload light.

Bobsprit

It does seem quite a long way - perhaps the conditions were particularly
favourable. What sort of range does your radio normally manage?

I can generally make the Oyster Bay area...around 12-15 miles, with ease. I had
steady contact with a friend beyond Huntington for a while, so I'd put average
range at 20-30 miles. Anything above that is a gift in this area.

RB

Wally

Bobsprit wrote:
It does seem quite a long way - perhaps the conditions were
particularly favourable. What sort of range does your radio normally
manage?

I can generally make the Oyster Bay area...around 12-15 miles, with
ease.

Uh-huh.

I had steady contact with a friend beyond Huntington for a
while, so I'd put average range at 20-30 miles.

You talk to people who have masts that are about 250 feet high?

--
Wally
www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com
Things are always clearer in the cold, post-upload light.

Bobsprit

I had steady contact with a friend beyond Huntington for a
while, so I'd put average range at 20-30 miles.

You talk to people who have masts that are about 250 feet high?

Just about any text I can find lists typical ranges as 5-25 miles,

RB
Wally

Bobsprit wrote:
I had steady contact with a friend beyond Huntington for a
while, so I'd put average range at 20-30 miles.

You talk to people who have masts that are about 250 feet high?

Just about any text I can find lists typical ranges as 5-25 miles,

The range over the horizon is highly dependent on the heights of the
antennae. A couple of twigs at 50 feet have a l-o-s range of a little over
16nm. I'm doubtful that said twigs could 'typically' reach 25nm. However, if
said twigs were each about 100-120 above the water, on ships, say, then 25
miles might be typical.

You, however, claim an *average* of 20-30 miles. The fact that some
situations can produce a typical range of 25 miles in no way substantiates
your claim.

--
Wally
www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com
Things are always clearer in the cold, post-upload light.

Jeff Morris

Up to 800 miles. However, this is very extreme. The phenomena used is atmospheric
ducting, which is common when hot air overrides colder air - very common on the ocean in
the summer.

Also, "line of sight" is a bit misleading, since radio waves (and radar) refract a bit in
the atmosphere, to the horizon is a bit further.

The distance calculation is often given as "1.22 times the sum of the square roots of the
antenna heights." Assuming masts of 49 feet, this lead to a distance of 17 miles.
However, in open water its very common to hear chatter from 25 miles or further. Last
Friday while I was still south of Plymouth, I heard chatter from Salem Bay - maybe 50
miles away.

BTW, there is a theory that very long distance VHF propagation is correlated with
earthquake activity, so if you hear a pickup request from 500 miles away, prepare for a
tsunami!

-jeff

Wally wrote:
Bobsprit wrote:
What is the line of sight distance between the two antennae?

I assume you're aware that VHF signals, while mainly line of sight,
are capable of greater range on occasion.

How much greater range, generally speaking?

Should I switch on my handheld and wait for you to hail me? Channel
9, Bob! I'll be waiting!

No, really, how much greater range?

Bobsprit

You, however, claim an *average* of 20-30 miles. The fact that some
situations can produce a typical range of 25 miles in no way substantiates
your claim.

Sorry, Wally. You can call me a liar all you want. The transmissions were made
and recieved.
Anyone is welcome to come on down for a demo.

RB

Anyone know a good online sailmaker? Dimitri Rotow Cruising 17 October 16th 12 01:54 PM
bahamas hotel atlantis hotel bahamas grand bahamas island hotel atlantis hotel in the bahamas hotel in the bahamas adfunk Jehad Internet Cruising 0 February 4th 04 11:42 PM
O.T. Some Good Points RGrew176 General 1 January 10th 04 08:04 AM
Anyone know where to get good heavy weather instruction and experience? Matt/Meribeth Pedersen Cruising 5 December 1st 03 06:21 AM