Bertie the Bunyip

Default Njikky, keeps on lying and lying and lying..

Nik wrote in
:

On 28 Aug 2003 11:14:37 GMT, (MrGoodSalt) wrote:

mrgoodsalt wrote:
[snip]
and b) What is it about them that is different from Christianity.
People are

attracted to different religions for a reason. Knowing how Asatru is
different from Christianity helps me understand why you picked it
instead of Christianity.

Steven T Abell
wrote:
OK.

For example,
in the Christian creation myth, consciousness begets existence.
In the Asatru creation myth, existence begets consciousness.
Furthermore,
the Christian universe is a one-shot deal,
while the Asatru universe is cyclic.
These two issues have immense consequences in outlook.

Quite right. At last you're beginning to understand us.

I hate to have to point this out, but the atheists believe the same
thing (only they tend to shreak a lot and spit venom everywhere).

Not necessarily. Most atheists wouldn't know what to believe about
this matter AND I'm certain that they don't believe in Ragnarok...

Matter and energy
(existence) beget life (consciousness). Endless cycles of expansion
(big bang) and contraction supposedly occur.

The jury is still out on that one. Physicists are still working on
whether there is enough mass in the universe to cause a cyclical
lifetime of the universe, i.e. big bang, big crunch, big bang, big
crunch etc etc

My big life goal is to avoid eternal damnation,

That's because Christianity is about fear and guilt:

It's also about love, faith, and hope.

Fair play to yer but why haven't you realised that we are happy in our
religious outlook and no amount of comment from you will suffice to
make any of us change our mind.

You have your God(s) and we'll have ours.

fear of a unreasonable tyrant god,

What do you find about the Christian God that is unreasonable?

Have a look in the Old Testament and tell me if you think that what
Moses and friends did to other cultures/races on their way to the
promised land was reasonable.

and guilt over something you didn't do.

What makes you think you "haven't done anything"? By what standard do
you make this determination?

Err...by not actually doing anything bad perchance?

If you are like most people, you may reason like this: "I
try to be a nice person MOST of the time, and I haven't murdered
anyone - have bad can I possibly be?

There are 'badnesses' of a lesser magnitude than murder.

" What do you think "holiness" really is?

Serving Odin conscientiously would be my answer for myself. Others
will have different notions.

What would something like "absolute holiness" be like?

Dying bravely in battle.

How would we compare to a standard like that?

By dying bravely in battle.

Asatru is about courage and honor.

Curious. I know Asatruars believe there have been historical abuses
inflicted on them by "Christians", but is there any place on planet
earth today where Asatruars are in danger of being killed or
persecuted for being Asatru?

Yes. Iraq right now. I'm not going to elaborate because it is a real
and present danger.

(And I'm not talking about people who just think Asatru is weird in
the same way
some people think a person who is really into UFO's is weird).

I'm talking about Islamic people who are intolerant of Polytheistic
belief systems.

The reason I ask is that a sizeable portion of planet earth routinely
persecutes Christians. I just heard a statistic that about 100,000
people will be killed this year being Christian.

That sounds like complete crap to me.

The book "Their Blood Cries Out" may be of interest.

Christianity is about avoidance. Asatru is about engagement.

Ultimate conflict between good and evil, relationship with God,
missionary work, eternal consequences, importance of getting right
with God the first time around, doing good because it's the right
thing to do, helping people, charity... Sounds pretty engaging to me.

All of which do not necessarily involve a belief in Jesus being the
Son of God.

Christianity is for children. Asatru is for adults, and those who
intend to

become adults.

Interesting. I've heard the theory of evolution refered to as a "fairy
tale for adults".

Just because you've heard it, in no way conclusively demonstrates that
it is so.

So, Nazi boy. you are now lecturing people on what is true and what isn't.

You wouldn't know the truth if it walked up and bit ou on the ass.

Bertie