Bertie the Bunyip

Default Humanistic Heathenry

(Dave) wrote in
om:

(Doug Freyburger) wrote in message
. com...

I agree with your statement below. I just don't think that we have to
believe that there is any truth to their supernatural claims.

Well, Don't know about that. they put a curse on me and now I have to raom
through life posting to this newsgroup.....

Bertie

On valuing what is in the Lore, remember that there is far more to
it than a bunch of fancifull tales devoid of culture. The Lore is
a set of tales that survived centuries of telling and retelling.
It is the set of tales that have so much value they were remembered
and reformed generation after generation. Under the surface they
encode most of the cultural values of the ancients, vailed in a why
that it can be told to young children so they may soak in those
values while being entertained by the action. This is true of all
mythos not ours alone.

Okay, and what is your point? How do you identify and "out" fundies?
That sound like some sort of witch hunt.

I have several years of activity here on this newsgroup using this
account. If you chose to look for other accounts my track record
here goes much farther back. The entire time I has stressed modern
life for Asatru, nonliteral use of the Lore, identifying and outing
fundies who use our ways as cover rather than living by them, and so
on. Offline I have well in excess of a decade of activity within
Asatru. Attending where I live at the time, writing courses when
invited, crossing the boundaries that exist from basic disagreements,
and so on.

Very good and correct. I was a Baha'i for a couple of years when I was
trying to make myself a theist. However, Baha'i tends to be the LEAST
dogmatic and orthodox when it comes to the theistic Abrahamic
religions. And Orthodox Baha'i refers to a difference with the
mainstream Baha'i in regards to current leadership.

In terms of newbie to humanism or atheism, not really, I have
struggled with my nonbelief for years. I have been an unbeliever since
childhood (and I was raised Mormon, BTW) It is very unacceptable in
American society to not believe in the supernatural so my wife and I
have tried to find religious communities where we could "hide"
ourselves. We have tried Baha'i as it has the image of being of the
more liberal religions, but we have also tried UU and Quaker as well.
We had friends that were Asatru and we were immediately attracted to
the practices, but not to the supernaturalism. We tried Wicca but
found no authenticity to that at all.

You have postings to four threads. Two of them are about orthodox
Bahai. I won't pretend to know enough about Bahai to comment on
those two year old posts, but you have shown your delight at using
dictionaires. Orthodoxy tends towards the dogmatic and you've been
orthodox. Hence you have the dogmatic track record. In the offline
world, I have no idea how much or how little heathen activities you
have done, but since you were active in another faith only two years
ago you are clearly still within the five year newbie range.

If you go back and look at my posts, these tones were in response to
your aggression, combativeness and know-it-all as well. All of the
things that you accuse me also seem to be quite true of you.
Particularly since I am not going out identifying and outing fundies.
(Although I think I appreciate that one, Doug). Your track record
frankly does not interest me in the slightest since you are unaware of
my educational and professional background.

However, I do enjoy your love of combat and debate Doug. It is most
refreshing (and fun actually).

You are aggressive, combative and a know-it-all. You certainly fit
in with folks here extremely well. You're among kindred spirits.
But let's get back to debating topics rather than name calling, shall
we? Your name calling attempt was feeble. Since it lacked any
research into my track record it missed the mark, and inaccurate
darts merely look neat flying by. And its vocabulary was unoriginal.
You'll have to do better if you wish to engage in name calling.
Better to stick with what you've already done well at. And welcome
home where you fit in well.

Hail Asgard!
Doug Freyburger

Wassail!