Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
JaxAshby

Default Carrier Landing Unlike any Other

I've flown in both VMA and VMF squadrons in the Corps with over 750 carrier
landings. I also hold the record for the southernmost carrier landing. Care
to guess what latitude?

My most memorable carrier landing was when we were deploying out of Norfolk
aboard the Nimitz. I had leave when it depolyed so I wouldn't be catching up
with the ship until Naples. I figured I'd see the ship out in my private
plane, a Cessna 172 at the time.

I caught her three miles offshore and buzzed the island. I got the CAG on
the com and jokingly asked permission to do a few touch and goes on the
flight deck. He said since no planes were aboard I could have a go at it.
They brought the ship up to 35 knots into a 25 knot wind. I could just about
hover over the deck. I actually landed four times on the deck, rolled to a
stop and easily took off.

That's right, four unarrested carrier landings in a row. Another Naval
Aviation record! I flew back to Manassas and caught up with the ship two
weeks later in Naples by taking a MAC flight. The flight room was full of
pictures of the 172 landing and taking off. My fellow aviators were quite
taken back by my aeronautical prowess.

Jax