Bobsprit

Default Dream Boat?

No, Ganzy, not Ted Danson!

You have 250K for a boat, for live aboard, day sailing and several long cruises
each summer or year-round. You want a boat that performs, doesn't suffer from
silly design trends and is easy to care for. You also want a boat that can be
sold without a crushing loss...because every boat is a stepping stone...and
then you're dead.
New or used, what would you buy? You don't have to spend the whole 250K.

RB

Bobsprit

I already did - a PDQ 36 Capella. Still no regrets; still my first choice.

Wouldn't you like just a bit more room and performance?
250K's the limit though/

RB
Jeff Morris

So which boat do you think gives more performance and space and quality for the money (new
boats please)? She can be single handed up to 12-13 knots with only 540 feet of plain
sail. She has three state rooms, the saloon seats 8 for dinner. 6'3" headroom
throughout. The cockpit is huge and dry, and you can play volleyball on the bow. And I
only pay for a 36 footer in the yard!

And the new centerboard version looks like it screams upwind!

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
I already did - a PDQ 36 Capella. Still no regrets; still my first choice.

Wouldn't you like just a bit more room and performance?
250K's the limit though/

RB

Bobsprit

So which boat do you think gives more performance and space and quality for the
money (new
boats please)?

I honestly don't know. I'd imagine there's something out there in the used
market...perhaps.

RB

SkitchNYC

Oyster 55, Hylas 54, or an older Kanter aluminum. Cost a little more, but just
amortize it over a longer time in the S Pacific or Med. Definitely used - let
someone else work out the bugs and take the initial depreciation hit.

You have 250K for a boat, for live aboard, day sailing and several long
cruises
each summer or year-round. You want a boat that performs, doesn't suffer from
silly design trends and is easy to care for. You also want a boat that can be
sold without a crushing loss...because every boat is a stepping stone...and
then you're dead.
New or used, what would you buy? You don't have to spend the whole 250K.

RB

Bobsprit

Oyster 55, Hylas 54, or an older Kanter aluminum.

A few people have said to me that they felt the Hylas is a high end charter
boat, and not something they'd want to own. Don't know a thing about them.
The Oyster's are beautiful.

RB
SkitchNYC

Oyster 55, Hylas 54, or an older Kanter aluminum.

A few people have said to me that they felt the Hylas is a high end charter
boat, and not something they'd want to own.

A lot of smaller Hylases are in charter - that is where Queen Long got its
start, but the 54 is not a charter boat. Several 54s are on long range cruises
and are getting nothing but raves. Its a lot of boat for the money.

Jonathan Ganz

I'm Ganz not Danson. Sorry. I know he's your fanatasy.
Thanks though.

I would get a decent C&C 36, fix up what needed it,
make some improvements, and bank the rest.

Or, I would get a used F-31 and do the same.