Roy G. Biv

Default discombobulated sense of direction

Am back from my first cruise ship tour of Alaskas inside passage.

My internal compass and sense of direction seemed all out of whack
damn near the whole time. I know the cruiseship was headed North but
my sense of direction (internal compass) kept arguing that we were
heading south.

I want to blame it on the sun not rising the way I am used to.

sunsets seem to last for hours in Alaska.

Mostly I use a compass underwater these days in the keys and I never
thought to pack one for a trip to Alaska, If I ever do another inside
passage cruise I am bringing a Compass !

felt really disorienting to have my internal compass tell me we were
heading south when I knew we were heading north....

there were lots of side trips, kayak trips, float plane trips,
helicopter to glaciers etc etc. none of that stuff for me, I did not
really expect to go on any of the shore excursions and was caught
waayyyy off guard to see snorkelling offered.

Snorkelling in Alaska ??? My wife and I saw that and jumped at the
chance, it was great,
saw a humpbackwhale spout across the channel while we were in the
water, couldn't see that whale--just the spout. Star fish like the
sunflower star get really big, a couple feet across... also saw a
variety of starfish, fish, crabs, kelp and jellyfish. The area is
called a temperate rain forest (rains alot) and it was a little
overcast the day we went but vis was good,
the guides did a good job describing the sealife and pointing things
out.

here is snorkelalaskas site:

http://www.snorkelalaska.com/pages/725130/index.htm

Angle of prop shaft - theoretical question. Gary Warner General 103 June 18th 04 05:32 AM
Common Sense otnmbrd General 9 May 3rd 04 07:29 PM
Wind speed & Direction masthead unit that outputs NMEA J Electronics 4 October 10th 03 08:04 PM
Direction Stability and Balast etc Andy Heron UK Power Boats 1 August 5th 03 07:59 PM
plywood grain direction philip cosson Boat Building 5 July 24th 03 10:09 PM